Hi all, I have a Kubota KX101 that recently started giving me some trouble. The two hoses on the end of the boom near the bucket were replaced at different times in the last week. After replacing the first, on the left side of the boom, due to a small leak, the machine continued to work as normal. Then after getting a branch stuck behind the hydraulic hose on the right side of the boom I popped the "ball" fitting which was pressed onto the end of the rubber hose out the "socket" which screwed into the female fitting nearest the bucket. After replacing the second hose I have no hydraulics at the bucket, or any part of the boom. also the cab will not rotate at all and the high speed foot pedal has no effect on the speed the unit travels. The unit will still move forward and backwards and the push blade still operates up and down with enough force to lift the entire machine off the ground if the blade is fully down. I have moved the safety lever on my left side (it comes up out of the floor) back and forth trying to make sure that it was properly engaged to allow operation. I don't have a safety lever on the right side although the parts manual I downloaded from tradebit shows a RH safety lever and a LH safety lever. Nonetheless the machine has always worked in the past and there is no opening where a RH safety lever would be at. any suggestions for troubleshooting this machine would be appreciated. I do feel like the machine has been a little weak with the bucket and boom strength in the past as it struggles to remove fairly small stumps and wonder if I don't have some greater hydraulic failure at hand here. I haven't personally changed the hydraulic filter(s) but I have put in new top grade hydraulic fluid to compensate for the fluid losses caused by the leaking/damaged hoses. I didn't have to blead anything after replacing the first hose (on the left side) and so didn't expect to have to bleed anything after replacing the second hose (on the right side). Is this my problem? If so, this doesn't explain the high speed operation pedal not working now as it did before (unless it is also related to the hydraulic system as well). considering the pedal issue I think it may be the safety lever(s). Again, any help is appreciated. thanks, Joey
Follow Up Well, the high speed foot pedal does work and so it seems that the hydraulic safety lever which is on the left hand side is the culprit. From looking at the diagram of the safety lever in the parts manual that I downloaded from tradebit it appeared that there was a left hand safety lever and a right hand safety lever. however, the parts manual clarifies that the safety lever is on the left side for cabin models and on the right side for canopy models. I have a cabin model and so my concern with not seeing a right hand side safety lever is also not an issue. It seems that the problem is either in the safety lever mechanism which essentially is a mechanical shut off valve which prevents hydraulic flow to the boom and cabin rotation if it is in the up (safe mode) position and which allows hydraulic flow if it is in the down (operation mode) position. Or the problem relates to replacing the second hose. I removed one end of the second hose (boom's right side) to see if there is fluid present and there is none, which suggests that the safety lever is not allowing flow-through. My only other thought would be that I didn't bleed the hydraulic system (and didn't think that was necessary-after changing first hose (boom left side)--there was no problem). Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks, Joey
hyd problems I would be very suprised if changing/replacing the pipes has anything at all to do with your problem. That is assuming ( never assume :Banghead) you replaced the pipes with similar size, bore etc. eg not replaced an 1" bore with half inch. The pipes were clean and the fittings were clean with no chance of foriegn debry having got in. Hydraulic fluid level is correct ( within site glass, bit low wont make a difference.) I suspect as you do that the first port of call is the safety / deadman lever. Check Hyd filter in tank. DO NOT try running without filter installed. Are you sure that there is no form of anti theft device fitted. In UK we have Mechlock valves which can be fitted to isolate different hyd services, and require a special key to release them.
Problem Solved Hi all, AtlasRob, thanks for your reply. After rethinking the changing of the hoses (same ID and OD as original OEM) I realized that the first hose was replaced when it was just leaking a little. The second hose was replaced after being broken in two at the swivel fitting. After this second hose broke the machine was operated for twenty minutes or so pushing light brush around. The result of the continued operation and the complete break--versus the small leak--was that air did in fact get in the line. I was able to bleed the lines at a compression check fitting near the unit that is operated by the safety (deadman's) lever. So, problem solved for now. Thanks, Joey