Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kubota kx121 boom cylinder rebuild

topfli8979 · 2024-09-17 19:31

I just repacked my boom cylinder and went to reinstall it. The circled section comes free from the sleeve and will not go any further down the cylinder.... I assumed it was supposed to follow the main seal section. Am I doing something wrong or does it sit about 4-5inches into the cylinder permanently?

Replies5
  1. #1Cliffy2024-09-17 19:56

    Im guessing thats the same sleeve that was stuck in other thread. If so it might be mushroomed. Looking at the way its assembled im confused. That circled bit must sit on that sleeve or it would be loose on cylinder rod. But what is its purpose. The sleeve has a polished section and a tarnished section. That indicates something goes on it. My guess is that outer collar floats on it to provide a dampening effect. And i would expect the piston to be sitting hard against that sleeve. It looks like it has an 1/2” gap.

  2. #2topfli89792024-09-17 20:05

    Yes sir, I got the sleeve off finally to reseal. Then ran into this issue going back in. Kubota boom diagram calls it's a (keeper)? It does sit flush with the collar/section out of the cylinder....But i have no idea what it does, it has 2 orings so maybe it is supposed to be stationary??? I figured if it moved the the other section it would have the flat seals. It will not going any further into the cylinder than 4-5 inches, I tried lightly tapping the ram and it slips off the sleeve going into cylinder. I I know, should of paid attention when disassembling, but I've never seen this setup. The circled section does seem to be flared on the bottom end, it looks like it's factory flair but I can't really tell... wouldn't make much sense for it to float on the rod...

  3. #3Cliffy2024-09-17 20:09

    Can you post the diagram?

  4. #4topfli89792024-09-17 20:14
  5. #556wrench2024-09-18 09:51

    It may be an internal cushion to prevent the piston from hammering on the gland at the end of the stroke?