Hello! I've been really enjoying my KX71-3 Mini Excavator. It's perfect for my small tasks around my property. Up until now, I've only been using it for digging and pushing. I purchased a sickle bar attachment from Skidsteer Solutions, which looked to be perfect for a few cutting areas (especially along the side of the road). I've installed it, but I noticed I basically can't move forward without complete loss of cutting power. Just touching the track controls a little will steal all the power from the auxiliary port. Is this expected? Am I supposed to be making an adjustment somewhere to support these types of attachments? I added quick release fittings onto my thumb and attached the sickle bar attachment there. I thought that's all I needed to do! Attempts to try and use a slightly lower flow on the sickle bar (using the aux flow controls) basically won't even move the cutters with anything less than max flow. This doesn't seem right... Any guidance appreciated. The bar does move quite well when standing perfectly still and slowing swiping left to right, so I can make some progress cutting. But to really use it I need to be moving along the side of the driveway while cutting.
The tracks get first dibs on the flow, and as you mentioned, as soon as you press them the power to the rest of the functions is greatly reduced. The same thing happens with all the other boom functions, not just the auxiliary.
It's a matter of intended uses, skid steers by nature have separate travel and function pumps, are intended to work while moving. Excavators typically move then work, move then work, etc. Just the way they're designed.
I did find that I could get a little travel if I put the drive into travel/rabbit mode. I guess I'll have to deal with stop and go, not too bad I suppose. Or I could just put it on my tractor
Here's a good explanation of the issue. I think I need to add a Priority valve. Would be great to hear from anyone here who's added one to their KX-71 or similar! http://www.shinncutter.com/Priority%20Flow%20Valves.PDF
I considered installing one on my KX057 to run a mower, but never pursued it farther as a lot of the work I do/did doesn't require extensive tracking and working at the same time (although it would be handy). Also, my machine was under warranty at that time and didn't want to compromise that.
Just mow what you can reach, track forward and do the same, common sense is a wonder isn't it? I've mowed quite a bit with my 303 and its the same way, mow-move-mow-move-mow-move-mow.... you get the idea. Try not to be moving stick boom and bucket at the same time if you can, its pretty easy if you think ahead.
Engines getting smaller due to emissions mandate = less flow by pump. You save on diesel, but lose on power. I even think some newer machines have what you suggest built in...also heard, they have caused some issues on the first adopters. Although, in your example, it looks like you can disable priority flow valve. Looks like you'll have to follow movindirt's suggestion. Noticed the KX71-3S has adjustable oil flow on aux...I'm guessing you don't have that? Not sure it would solve the issue though, but something to look into.
Adjusting the flow does nothing for the aux being last in line to get flow.
Some small excavators can be tracked and use other functions at the same time without starving them for power. I know on my friends Kubota that he needed to run a return drainline back to tank. I don't think that is your issue. I just think that with the Kubota you will need to move and then use your cutter.