Hi all, I am looking for feedback on a Kubota M59. I'm thinking of replacing a fullsize TLB with it. There are lots of guys on another forum who have them, but they are mostly hobby farmers and the like. I'd like to know from someone who has used one in a construction application how it stands up, and if you missed the size and speed of the bigger machines. They are physically quite big, and since my machine is usually overkill, I thought it might make a nice compromise. Thanks
i have a few hours on the m59 and can say it lives up to kubotas reputation. its not a 416 or a 580 but does what its weight class is designed for.i like it much better than the deer 110. only thing i dont like is the lack of a full cab and if its raining your right foot gets soaked due to the placement of the hystat pedal/ roof coverage.:usa
something i'm not sure i like is the exhaust. i would rather have a stack on the hood. seems the fumes would get old by the end of the day coming up from underneath.
thanks for the feedback. I am hoping to run across someone who has used one hard along side some bigger machines. Ilooked at the JD110, but it was too small, and I tried to find an Earthforce like you have Capt Met, but there were none around. I also tried a Ditch Witch XT1600, which has huge potential, but needs some more development. So now Kubota has this new machine, and it seems like it might be just the right size. The dealership is quoting me one with a Laurin cab, which is very nice. That should take care of the exhaust as well.
I have looked at the M59 without the backhoe. It has good stats on the loader and is a solid construction tractor, not like that little deere. If your not set on kubota, JCB has some nice little machines that can be all wheel steer.
thats a good tip about JCB. There is no dealership near me, and I have heard that some of the maintenance type parts like hoses can't be sourced anywhere but the dealer. But I should at least go and talk to them, because they make a big range of machines.
Bear, is it an issue of nobody carring bsp fittings, or is something else special about the hoses?
Wajax is the JCB dealer around here in NB possibly the same in BC? As for hoses,guy up the road from me has a 1700B he once told me he gets his hoses and filters from princess auto,other option would be UAP they did hoses for our Volvo and Hitachi excavators maybe see if they can be of help
What does the M59 weigh in at? It seems to me the L48 is right on the edge of moving with a pickup and no CDL. So if you must have a big truck, big trailer and a CDL to move, it why not have the advantages to a fullsize machine? On the JCB hoses, a few years ago the hose ends were hard to find. But now every hose my JCB has needed they have been able to make at my local NAPA.
http://www.kubotatractor.org/kubota-m59-specs.pdf According to this it weights 8300# Easily done below CDL on a 12K or 14k trailer And way below a full size TLB
Not in Commi-fornia.... Any trailer over 10,000 GVW requires a Class A CDL. I thought that was the same nation wide:beatsme Most trailers rated to haul 8300# is going to weigh more than 1700#. I know kubota claims you can haul a L48 at 7800# under CDL, but do those 9,999 GVW trailers really weigh less than 2300#? Don't get me wrong I would love to have a L48 or maybe even a L39, mostly for finish type work and clean up. But it would also be nice for light digging where it isn't worth hauling the fullsize hoe in.
I thought it was the same nationwide too But I don't need a CDL for my F350 @ 12k with a trailer @14k Thats the upper most limit before needing a CDL You might be able to haul the L48 on a 10k with a llittle weight transfer to the truck:beatsme
thanks for the replies. I do plan to talk to JCB. What put me off them is mostly that the dealership is almost two hours from me. Doesn't seem like much, but when you need to run in for a small part in the middle of a work day, its a PITA. There are lots of local dealerships, one being Kubota. For the record, I brought an M59 home yesterday. I am going to install a septic field with it on monday and dig a pit for a guy. Then I'll know if its worth pursuing. I have a 1 tonne with duals, and a 12000 pound deck over that I haul my small equipment with, and I loaded it up and went for a spin today. It felt just fine. Pulled well and stopped well. I was going to scale it but the pit was shut. I'll try again on Tuesday before I return it.
This might be the best of both worlds,do everything the NH can do and be small enough to no longer need the smaller equipment meaning less overhead for you and cheaper to operate and stay competitive in tough times
I went to JCB's website. The only thing that fits the bill is the 2CXS. It's got more power, but it needs an extenda boom to get to 12 feet dig depth and it weighs 14000 pounds. Must be built like a tank, but thats marginally less weight than my LB 110, and I can dig almost 19 feet, so whats the point? I know the Kubota is probably built lighter, but they are all over the place here and they have a really good reputation. Although that is why I originally posted the question, because I'd like to know how they stand up in a construction environment.
Tell us what you thought of it. I have been looking at these since they came out, not serious enough to demo one but I like the idea of one. The lack of a factory cab would likely be a deal breaker. Surely Kubota will offer a cab on it in the furture wont they?
The one i saw at the farm show was a removable backhoe, like the others in the kubota line. I don't see how they can remove the backhoe and still have a cab. i would be really nice to have a small backhow with a cab though.
Here is one on Iron Planet. http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/201766?h=405,2328 It has not been inspected yet so there is nothing to look at, at the moment but it will be interesting to see what it brings.
well, I put 6 hours on that little thing today. It's actually a nice machine. I was surprised how refined the backhoe hydraulics were. I had no trouble keeping it nice and smooth. But they were maybe a little slow. Nothing I wouldn't get used to. I dug a pit 13 feet deep, and that went well. When I tried the little 110 John Deere, the lack of reach was a real pain, but on this machine its not near so bad. It has a really big front bucket for it's size. I measured it and its marginally smaller than the one one on my big hoe. So I would give it around a yard. I don't know if its because off this, but it lacks power in the front end. You can't break the full bucket out of a pile without screwing around a bit. And that lack shows up in other areas as well, like backblading. It might do way better with a slightly smaller bucket. The backhoe on the other hand has lots of jam. I did everything I needed, no trouble. I liked the hydrostatic transmission, and the creep feature, which is nice for inching forward when you are trenching. It weighs just over half what my big machine does, so when I keep that in mind, I would say it does a really good job.
I scaled my truck today before I took my little toy hoe back. I have a double cab dually and a 12000 pound deckover, and with the M59 on and nothing else I was 19665 gross.
looking forward to the pictures. congrats on the new machine
actually I haven't bought it yet. I just demoed it for a day. I am considering it, but not sure yet if its the way to go.
I have a 2008 M59 that I use pretty heavily for everything from light demolition and excavation to tool handling and finish grading. It is a very versatile machine due to the pin on backhoe, with some practice the backhoe can be removed and the 3 point hitch installed in less than 15 minutes. The front end loader is exceptionally strong, although the bucket probobly should be a tad smaller. The backhoe operation is smooth and relatively quick for a machine of this type/size. I would like to hear what other's have to say about this machine.
Bear, I can't imagine the Kubota having enough breakout force compared to your 110 to make you happy. I know you hated your 110, but that machine is actually known for having exceptional breakout force hydraulics, IIRC. I think the M59 was designed more for transportation than anything. It's bigger than the 48 or 110, but small enough to pull around with a dually, maybe evn an SRW 1-ton and no CDL (except CA, of course) on a 12 or 14K trailer. I just worked along side a L-48 and when I got off my NH and operated the L-48, I felt like I was on a sandbox toy. Maybe your line of work is better executed with a small machine, size isn't everything. I just couldn't picture digging a whole house, rainwater retention or quickly loading a large dump with a little machine like that. Good luck with it. I'll be pickin your brain for NH info lol
hey Duke, actually I really like my LB110. The first year was awful, partly because of shoddy assembly, and partly because of incompetent mechanics making a bad situation worse. I stopped going to the construction dealership and went instead to an Ag dealer, and they had my hoe cleaned up completely in 2 visits. I had 4 trouble free years after that. And I know from running other gear that its light years ahead in power, lift, and most other specs. And if you have questions about yours, I will be happy to help. As for down sizing, I have been chewing that one over for a few years now. I specialize in septic systems. In fact thats almost all I do, and its huge over kill to show up with a tandem gravel truck, lowbed and 18000 pound hoe just to dig a 6 foot hole for a tank, and three trenches less than 2 feet deep. Usually in a back yard where my hoe won't fit anyway, so I end up subbing out the digging. I think I am leaning toward a bobcat like capt mets or an ingersol rand. One day I will actually take the plunge and pry open my wallet, but until then ol LB still does the job every day.
I see. That helps me understand a bunch. Surprised you don't go with a mini ex for digging and a skidder for clean-up???:beatsme Or how about a mini ex with a power angle blade and a 3-4' ditching bucket for clean-up? That's what all the smaller septic guys around me use. I do like the idea of a smaller machine in your case, but you should try to find one with a cab to make the day more comfortable.
Well I want a cab for sure. I'm up here in BC. Unfortunately, that is a 14000 dollar option on any of these machines if you want a nice one. I have thought about a mini ex, but I ruled that out. All they really do well is dig. I have used them and I prefer a rubber tire. And I have a mini skid that I take along to backfill and landscape after I'm done.That with the rubber tire is actually a nice combination.
Then why the M-59? You'll just freeze your ballz off in that thing. If you're gonna get a small rig, at least get a heated cab.
well, either i get a small machine with a canopy, which is a dirt cheap option, and keep my NH for big jobs and rough weather(of course I don't plan to do most of the operating, so it will be someone else getting cold!) or I get a used bobcat or JCB machine which came with a cab, and/or keep the NH, or I sell/trade the NH and buy something like the M59 with a Laurin cab. They look factory and come with heat air, but it makes the machine so pricy that keeping the NH is no longer an option.
Martin, it is funny we are looking at similar problems from diffrent snds of the spectrum. i have looked at the M59 and agree that with the laurin cab it is too pricy. i can find a used full sized terex w/ cab heat and air. as well as all the modern conveniances for less. in the end i believe this will be the route i take. and keep the b300 till it falls completely apart. i would love to see JD come out with a slighty larger 110 that has cab but still a smaller footprint than the 310. if it came in over 10,000 lbs. that would be fine. there is a big diffrence between towing 8 tons and towing 10 or more tons. maybe kubota will come out with a factory cab sometime and can get the price down some. we'll see.
Hi Metin, thanks for the reply at the other place. I'm still waffling about what to do. I guess if the price is right I will buy it and take my chances. Or not......
Bear,
Bear, Oops I had a misfire the first time. I own a M59 that I have used since last Fall, and must say that for the size/weight it is a rather capable machine. No it won't dig like a full size backhoe, nor is it as efficient of a digger as a mid-size mini-ex, but I haven't found much it won't do yet. I take advantage of it's versatility as best I can through the use of the 3-point hitch and the skid steer type auxillary hydraulics on the loader. While not as quick as a skid steer with hauling material or as capable at excavation as a mini-ex, I have felt as though I am getting my money's worth through the ease of transportation, relatively compact size, and very versatile design.
I bet for the price of an M59 w/ cab you could get a very low hr used cab/air mini ex and a practically new cab/air skid steer. Those 2 machines will get jobs done 2X as fast as a backhoe. Smaller backhoes without cabs are like swiss army knives. They can do almost anything, but nothing fast or very efficient. Without the cab that far up north.....dang, I'd be a hurtin pup.
well, this morning I demoed a JCB midi. Its a nice machine. I may go that way now. I think I've narrowed it down to the JCB or the M59. They are very similar, but the JCB has more cab room(yes you can get a cab) is heavier built, but only has a 10 foot dig. If I buy it I will add a homemade extenda hoe. The M59 is a bigger machine, but they weigh the same. Most of the JCB components are heavier, and one concern I have with the M59 is that things like pins and bushings are pretty spindly.I may just keep my old one for a while to see how it all works out. I have ruled out the Bobcat/IR because of parts and service concerns. Bobcat basically told me to don't even talk to them about it. And the Yanmar is underpowered, doesn't have a cab, and similar money to the JCB for a machine with no resale value. At least around here.
Martin. Sims makes a cab for the Kubota M59 - www.cabdepot.com . I looked at their site a couple of days ago and I think it sells for around $4000 without heat and A/C. Also - if you have any further info about JCB I'd like to hear your feedback. Me and my brother own a company and we dig graves. We are currently using a Kubota L39. We really like the Kubota but have considered going with JCB if/when we trade. Thanks.