Hello, I just purchased a new Kubota KX057-5 with the quick attack coupler (not hydraulic). I just purchased 3 additional attachments yesterday. It seems that every implement (buckets, root rake, frost ripper) all do not accept the pin the same. In most instances goes right in one end but not out the other. If I used a hammer it may but I didn't want to. I am thinking once all theses attachments get worn in the pin will go in and out easier. My pin came greased but I could not find anywhere in my manual if it is actually supposed to be greased. I know on my L45 TLB they do want grease on the main pins that hold the backhoe on the machine. Especially on the bucket, dirt will stick to the grease on the pin and I am not sure if this is the way it is supposed to be. I attached photo of buckets so you can see the attacment style. Any advice appreciated.
Bucket pins in those attachments aren't hardened like the pins holding the coupler to the machine. Is your attachment pin greased because it's a hardened linkage pin, or simply as a preservative to prevent rusting while in inventory? And, the attachment pins definitely don't get greased. As for pin fit, paint and production tolerances can impede easily sliding in the attachment pins. Generally, a light buff with a flapper wheel, on a die grinder, to the pin bores will clean up the bores.
There is only 1 pin that pulls out to remove the attachment. That is what was greased but I am not sure if it is supposed to be.
I've got the same setup on my KX033-4. That pin does not rotate or move, so there's no reason to grease it. It's just there to hold the attachment on. It was probably coated to keep it from rusting from the factory. I gave mine a quick spray with flat black to keep it from rusting as quick. And paint doesn't attract dirt. If the attachment and the coupler are not lined up perfect, putting the pin in can be a pain. Try to hang the attachment so it has a little swing to it. Then you can tilt it back and forth by hand to line it up and usually it will go in. If it doesn't, I get impatient and grab a hammer, and 'convince' the pin it wants to go in.
Exactly what Phil said. It takes a while to find the “sweet spot” of the attachment when you first start using that system. I had a KX161-3 and put about 5000 hours on it with that style coupler and thought it was a very good, simple way to switch attachments. Also, get that grease off of there, don’t be afraid to take a grinder and put a slightly larger taper on the end of the pin, you could use penetrating oil, but mostly I kept a small lump hammer in the cab and would use it regularly to knock the pin in and out. Also, do yourself a favor and get a bunch of the quick hitch pins that go through the other end of the attachment pin, especially if you’re using the ripper a lot, roots will grab the hitch pin and knock it out.
I use the black heavy duty clips from TSC on my kx121-3, and keep a few extras along with a 3lb hammer