Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kubota svl 90 compression issues

bigboytoy · 2025-08-17 14:15

Im have trouble finding a compression tester for the svl 90 .. its my next step to find the problem with the engine .. it hesitates/stutters/blows smoke/lacks power on acceleration ... what kind of compression should I expect?

Replies8
  1. #1mekanik2025-08-17 16:25

    From the SVL90-2 manual.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2025-08-18 17:09

    “IF” the engine has glow plugs, use a thread pitch gauge to find the test kit that includes your adapter.. If it does have gp’s, harbor freight has a gp kit.. If not, I use to make an adapter out of an old injector.. Good luck

  3. #3bigboytoy2025-08-23 08:07

    it appears there is only a kubota custom injector for the test ... I got one I can trash ... kubota wants 2k for there trashed injector ... I can weld thanks

  4. #4thepumpguysc2025-08-23 13:31

    Open up the injector and take the spring and shim out and the center of the nozzle (pintle) Put it back together and hold the nozzle against a grinder.. It’ll open up to a much larger hole at the end.. Then braze the return hole.. Idk if u can use a gasket or gaskets and a nut to block off the return holes.?? It might be worth a try.. Good luck

  5. #5hseII2026-03-16 20:20

    What was the outcome?

  6. #6bigboytoy2026-03-17 16:27

    the outcome was good ... I did not have to weld a old injector as a way to check compression ... I used threads and made seal with the threads on the old injector .. it failed compression ... I found a chunk of oil/dirt holding valve open ... which comes from the egr recirculating exhaust into intake ... so head had to come off ... no machine work was necessary just needed valves reseated .. the turbo sends a light harmless oil into the intake when its combines with dirty exhaust it lines the intake manifold with 1/4 inch think crud after 2900 hrs .. it breaks lose and bam it gets smashed and stuck on a valve seat ... on another cylinder... valve adjustment was off too from myself a few months earlier trying to adjust ... it was off because I did not find the top dead center of the firing stroke rather I found the top dead center between inhale and exhaust , thats 2 different points not the same ... it runs great now and will have longevity... good save!

  7. #7hseII2026-03-23 12:51

    Awesome. I bought a SVL90-2 with 1,527hrs. in January from a Kubota dealer out of state. When it was delivered I noticed it down on power while unloading it. Long story short, It’s got a dead cylinder & the dealership has made it clear that they will not be responsible for it: basically I’m on my own. I’m trying to work thru getting it corrected as economically as possible but this is turning into a $50k nightmare.

  8. #8bigboytoy2026-03-23 17:22

    In a panic I bought a 2nd loader ... it had hidden problems also ... both are now great running monsters tuned for power and longevity .. and customers wonder why it cost so much ..