Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kubota SVL95-2s DEF

D6c10K · 2020-05-25 07:52

A neighbor has an SVL95-2S about 2 years old that had a bunch of expensive warranty work on the emissions. They told him to only keep the DEF tank ¼ full. When I asked the dealer about it they denied it and told me there wasn't any problem with Def deteriorating and causing problems. I have the same machine, just a little newer, and now Kubota sent me a letter about not letting Def stay in machine more than 2 months (depending on temp). They sent coupons for 2 free fills of DEF. Tells me they've got an issue emissions problem and maybe they're trying to make it last until it's out of warranty. Anyone else seen problems with this machine?

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2020-05-25 10:17

    I don't think it's the machine, I think it's the DEF fluid. I may be wrong but check out the quote below. Here's a link to the thread where it was posted so that you can read all of it, and I'll say that it is not the first thread I've seen on HEF where the advice for DEF-using engines was "ride 'em hard, all the time". HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2heymccall2020-05-25 10:28

    There are quite a few complainants of kubota DEF issues on here. They're here in the CTL section. None one of mine are big enough to have DEF.

  3. #3BigWrench552020-05-25 10:39

    Def fluid has a shelf life. The hotter and more humid the faster it will degrade. Sunlight will degrade it also. The key with teir4 final engines is to run them hard, idling will cause more def consumption and problems with the egr system. Keep the def clean and the fill neck clean, don't idle excessively and run it hard to keep the exhaust temps up and you won't have a lot of issues. There is a federal mandate that these emission systems be warrantied for much longer than the machine warranty. Something that I have noticed is that the smaller engines such as yours, really have problems with idling.

  4. #4BigWrench552020-05-25 10:50

    It is my belief that most of the problems experienced with teir4 interim and final. Are because it goes against the way we had operated equipment since the first combustion engine. And I blame equipment dealers for not educating the buyer about the do's and don'ts on operating these engines. Which has caused a lot of expensive down time and repairs and putting a bad taste in everyone's mouth with the teir4 engine. Like it or not it's here and it will only get more complicated and expensive from here on out.

  5. #5Hysert2020-06-09 07:31

    I agree with Paul ^ our 95 is a 2019, 600hrs, no issues!! I use foot throttle always and never let it idle!! My DEF consumption is a tank every 100hrs or so

  6. #6Swannny2020-11-16 10:01

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEF-DELETE-KUBOTA-SVL95/174518060427?hash=item28a216458b:g:EUcAAOSweR9fr1Hs saw this def delete option for this machine the other day. $1600

  7. #7Tags2020-11-16 19:48

    Interesting...what happens when the reprogrammed unit goes bad and this guy is no where to be found. New CPU,DPF, and unblock the egr? I'm not saying it is or isn't a good idea, just thinking out loud.....

  8. #8HeavyTech2023-04-19 20:34

    I work on theses machines every day and they are very reliable if if take care of them !! When you see the DEF Icon appear on your screen, Do Not Reject It !! Make sure your rpms are set properly and wait for the DEF Icon to disappear (icon that looks like a clock - rmp too low) Every 2 months drain your tank (summer) and every month in the winter as freezing causes water to form in the system Don't be discouraged and take care of your equipment