Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kubota u17-3 vs kobelco sk17sr

Xtravator · 2024-05-03 08:38

Looking at buying a mini 1.7 ton excavator for small confined space work Looking at either a kobelco sk17sr With 2100 hours for $33,000 aud Or a kubota u17-3 1500 hours $30,000 Maybe a yanmar too if any good ones pop up Never used a kobelco though, wondering if anyone had any reviews on these vs the kubota? What one has more power?

Replies10
  1. #1PeterG2024-05-03 11:20

    Kubota makes great mini excavators! With lower price and lower hours, your U17 is good to go. For comparison on paper, you can google Takeuchi TB216 comparison. Most popular in the US I think are besides the Kubota, the Deere 17G, Cat 301, and Takeuchi. I have the Takeuchi TB016, which I think is a good machine. Kobelco also makes good machines, but are more popular in the bigger tonnage. Buy whatever is popular in your area, and with parts available locally. Only thing that would help change my mind a bit besides condition, is if one has a thumb, or comes with multiple nice buckets. Post some images of each.

  2. #2Xtravator2024-05-05 04:23

    Neither have thumb unfortunately There is a kubota dealer close by too I’ll chuck up some pics of the 2 I’m looking at

  3. #3Xtravator2024-05-05 04:25
  4. #4Xtravator2024-05-05 04:29
  5. #5Xtravator2024-05-05 05:22

    Haven’t looked at either yet I would probably jump strait to the kubota but the kobelco looks in good condition, and has travel pedals , I could probably put a pedal kit on the kubota But it is handy, also quick hitch on the kobelco, so possibly a better deal overall?

  6. #6Xtravator2024-05-05 05:30

    I’m still a bit new to all this So this may be a dumb question But the kobelco has a swl of 175kg And the kubota is 140kg Is it safe to assume that this kobelco has more power than the kubota ?

  7. #7PeterG2024-05-05 12:59

    Well both look like really nice machines. You can't go wrong with either! My preference though is the Kubota, although I'm not so much into the orange color and have never operated either. I'm a Takeuchi guy. Kubota Preferences: 1. Blade looks wider on the Kubota. This adds a lot of stability when lifting heavy over the front end or operating sideways with the blade down used to level you as needed. 2. If the Kubota comes on the cool little trailer, that is way cool! 3. That's great that they come with three buckets. In the US, you get only one. 4. The rear of the Kubota is nice. Better wrap around paint protection, D-ring tie down, and hydraulic motor hoses tucked away. 5. Easy world wide parts availability, and quality of construction. 6. Lower hours is good. 7. Kubota dealer may be able to install factory designed thumb. That being said, if this was a rental check for maintenance logs and be aware that homeowners can abuse the machine. Regarding power, both machines are going to be good. Power is often related to the operators skill and knowledge on how to best use the machine and its attachments.

  8. #8donny842025-02-12 06:11

    Yes, kobelco have the most lifting capacity, look where the boom cylinder is placed on the kobelco compared to the kubota, you want to avoid mini excavators with the cylinder on top of the boom.

  9. #9The Peej2025-02-12 06:58

    I don't believe Kobelco makes their mini's not sure who makes it for them. Machine specs are very misleading you need to run them to be able to compare them.

  10. #10KSSS2025-02-12 10:33

    Kobelco makes this mini ex themselves. They used to make them for CASE as well. I rented the CASE CX17 which was a Kobelco. Very solid very dependable. The Kobelco looks very clean even though it has more hours. Kubota makes a dependable machine as well. If you can get seat time in both and decide would likely help you decide.