there seems to be a lot of guys liking there kx161, what about its zero turn brother the u45 is it a good rig. seems to be lots of parts for this machine must use a engine that is run in the bobcat skid steers, i think its a v2203m, where the 161 runs a v2403m. for those who have ran both will the u45, hang and hold up has well has the 161
I had an161-3 that had wide steel tracks so it was zero swing. I have a friend with a U45 as well, that I have used when I needed a machine with rubber tracks. The U45 has a bit smaller boom and a bit smaller stick then the 161 I believe but is basically the same machine with a slightly smaller cab. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.
My 161-2 also has the wide steel street pads, comes in at about 12,350# so it will do a reasonable job of digging over the side, and I can pick up and place some fairly sizable rock for it's size. My tail overhangs the tracks about a foot and change, but I primarily do work that doesn't favor zero swing. I've not run a U45, just an 040-4 so can't comment on those, but have heard favorable reports. I ran a Cat 304E about 2 weeks ago, it's a zero swing and a bit lighter, good little digger but I could really tell the difference not having some tail weight when moving bigger rocks and digging out concrete debris. One YouTube guy claims the U45 is pretty strong on power but seemed slow. That model has been around for awhile and proven it has chops, I'd own one if I needed a machine for tighter work.
Wouldn't the U55 be the brother of the 161/057?
I'm pretty sure the U55 replaced the U45. The 55 is zero swing, has less cab space, and a slightly shorter boom than the 57 just like the 45 did compared to the 161