Hello, I am looking at a lightly used KX057-5 for forestry work on my timber property. Would feed a Bandit 18” chipper, run a 48” Eterra brush cutter, and for pushing dirt here and there and moving logs. A really good deal on a used U55 has come up nearby and I am wondering if the tight tailswing and less counterweight is a bad call for this work? (Also is it worth considering a used KX80?) Thanks
If you are working in the woods a lot the tight/zero tail swing machines are great. You'll give up a little lifting capacity, but being able to move through the woods and swing the house without hitting trees is really nice. I never used to like the zero tail swing machines, but after owning two (currently have a U48-5) they have really spoiled me. Only issue I can see is swinging a heavy mower on a hill, then the extra counterweight would be nice. Just don't get too greedy with the size/weight of the mower and you should be fine.
That's a great point, actually. Do you know if the 55 would be any more tippy than the 57 all things equal - does it have higher center of gravity to get the ZTS? I do see the over the side lifting capacity is 180lbs less with 7" inch less reach on the 55 compared to the 57.
In my experience the zero tail swing machines actually have a lower center of gravity and are more stable on hills when 'empty'. They generally have a wide undercarriage in relation to the house which gives goods stability when moving around. The difference is when it it 'loaded' either carrying a heavy object, heavy attachment, etc. In those cases the conventional tail swing machine can have an advantage on hills, especially reaching down hill. I haven't run a U55 or KX057 so I can't say for sure, but they are actually very similar machines. The KX057 has a longer dipper stick and more counter weight further back, U55 is tucked in closer with a shorter stick. I'd run the U55 if you can and see how you like it, pick up something about the weight of the mower and swing it around and see how it feels.