Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

KX161-3 Pressure From Oil Fill Cap

fvnfarmer ยท 2014-09-07 12:54

I have been looking at a 2006 KX161-3 with 2050 hours on it. When I removed the oil fill cap, you could feel air coming out of the filler hole. There was no smoke visible. The machine is at a dealer and they had two other KX161s of similar age and hours. The other two machines were the same - you could feel air coming out of the oil filler hole. I have read that this can be a symptom of blow by. None of my other diesel engines do this. Since the three machines were exactly the same, would it be reasonable to consider this normal for this engine? Thanks. Any input would be appreciated!

Replies5
  1. #1fvnfarmer2014-09-08 13:06

    Does anyone have a KX161-3 or a KX121-3 that they wouldn't mind checking to see if there is air coming out of the oil filler? Thanks. I have done a lot of searching on this topic but there does not seem to be a clear answer.

  2. #2Deeretracks2014-09-08 15:46

    I know my Cat mini's with Mitsubishi engines and Hitachi mini's with Yanmar engines are the same way. I always figured it had to do with the very small crankcase having a lot of turbulance since they don't have any blowby issues.

  3. #3fvnfarmer2014-09-08 23:42

    Thanks Deeretracks. My John Deere tractor is a Yanmar and no air comes out. My wife's Honda Civic has lots of air coming out and it doesn't have blowby issues. I guess some engines vent differently. In reading about this, most people say that the engine is pretty much dead if ANY air comes out the oil filler. I'm not sure I agree with that theory. I could see how smoke or oil could be a problem. It would still be interesting to hear from any other KX owners.

  4. #4lantraxco2014-09-09 02:48

    In my world, if it ain't fogging mosquitos with the smoke, it's in top shape, negligible blowby. I've seen engines with breather vent hoses stuck down in a gallon bleach jug with vent holes around the top to catch all the oil being blown out. One guy was so cheap he'd pour the oil back in at the end of a shift! LOL.

  5. #5fvnfarmer2014-09-09 08:23

    Hahaha! That puts it in to perspective! I'll bet those engines are still running.