Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

KYB cover /inspection plate removal.

lepper ยท 2017-06-08 21:57

Have a MAG-26V off of an old excavator that went ka-plunk.. I am attempting to remove the cover plate so I can get to the gears/bearings. I have the manual and have followed the directions.. but the dang cover plate will not spin/rotate so I can remove the lock wire thingie..... Any ideas? Thanks! Dave

Replies6
  1. #1lantraxco2017-06-09 02:23

    Did you find some bolts or hydraulic fittings to fit the drain plug holes? Or extra drain plugs with something welded to them, so you can get a bar in there and put some leverage on them, while smacking the cover judiciously with a soft faced dead blow? O-ring has probably glued itself in place.

  2. #2mikebramel2017-06-09 10:19

    Yes, that is a very good idea. I think they are usually 1/2 or 5/8" Bspp? And with two port adapters you can put a prybar in between them to rotate?

  3. #3lepper2017-06-09 12:32

    Yes, I picked up some hydraulic fittings and put it in there... and have prodded and pushed and twisted and no movement. The only thing I haven't done is put a huge cheater on the end of my bar.

  4. #4lantraxco2017-06-09 12:37

    Okay, next question, no offense, are the fittings going in too far and locking the cover plate?

  5. #5lepper2017-06-09 14:35

    I didn't know that was possible.. I don't "Think" that is the case, but I will double check that. I see your in Coos Bay, Do you know anyone around the area that works on these? Not sure if I have the ability to repair it once I get into it.

  6. #6lantraxco2017-06-09 14:39

    I usually use Premier Hydraulics in Tualatin 503.691.2961 for KYB. Nobody on the South coast I would trust with it..... I work on some drives but I've never done any KYB, they're a bit.... different?