This summer me and my brother went and looked at a van box for storage. It was on a 1979 Ford L750. It was to high at the time and we passed on it. The guy called and reduced the price so hes going to buy it. I looked at the truck back then and it had a 370 engine single speed rear put i never got in the cab. My brother looked at it agin and said it has a 5 speed with 5th being a overdrive. Is this right or has it got the wrong shifter knob?If it is a overdrive is this model trans any good?
It has been a loooooong time since I have torn into a 5 speed, used to do a lot of them in Internationals back in the late 70's. I looked in a Motor's Manual I have for trucks dated 1973, and found quite a few different brands that had an overdrive option in their 5 speeds. I'm willing to bet it has an extremely low geared rear end and the overdrive is to compensate for it. George
I went and looked at it today. The guy selling it said it was a overdrive. He also said it was high geared but i dont know if he was talking about the overdrive or ingeneral. I was going to look for a build sheet or some thing to tell me what was what but i didnt. Its been a rental truck. I hope is has extremely low gears. I am looking for a truck to use and before stoping there i bought some almost new 825/20 tires thinking i could use them but this truck has 1100/22.5s.