Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

L10 and auto? In a tandem dump?

Black71gp ยท 2015-08-11 13:10

Hello I've been truck shopping trying to find and upgraded tandem dump. I found a 96 international 2574 with the l10 says 350hp and Allison 5 speed auto. Truck has 18 front 46 rear looks clean. I will be pulling Excacator backhoe dozer, played at 54k maybe 60, how would the auto do? Mostly all local driving for me. Less than 50 miles. Some hauling of gravel and sand when installing septics. Thoughts? Thanks for any input on the auto in a dump with the l10

Replies13
  1. #1repowerguy2015-08-11 15:19

    What Allison does it have in it? I have some experience with them in mixer trucks and they are pretty sweet in those applications. Twisted off u-joints are a memory and they go like crazy in mud with no hopping. If it is geared right it should have good pulling power and decent road speed. Take it for a drive and it should bump all the gears without any sliding I suppose a oil sample would tell the tale.

  2. #2Black71gp2015-08-11 15:21

    Not sure in the model of Trans. Gear is 5.13 supposedly, problem is it's about 10hr from me. Having a hard time finding a clean tandem in the north. This one is in tn, fits the bill for everything I want with heavier axles, and l10 instead of the international engines. They did say it was a 5 speed.

  3. #3repowerguy2015-08-11 18:12

    Maybe a HT 750 tranny? 96 sounds a little late for a l 10 by that time I think M 11 had completely replaced it. The last l 10 s were step time and I'm thinking the last ones were 92-93 time frame. I haven't seen a 350 hp l10 either, some torque modified 300s that felt close but it could be a real deal. I think there was a small amount of mechanical M 11s made and it might be that. 5.13 gears will be gear bound wound at 50 mph without a OD gear!

  4. #4Black71gp2015-08-11 20:08

    Here is the truck http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6223045 Here are a few photos extra he sent

  5. #5repowerguy2015-08-11 20:21

    Nice looking S series there Blk71 14k sounds reasonable. The last 8 of the vin should tell you engine, trans, and gear ratio. A IH truck dealer should be able to run the numbers and give you the info. Looks like a municipal truck from the inside pic. Can the guy make a YouTube video for you on the highway and show you the gauges and whatnot? 5.13 cogs concern me for road speed.

  6. #6DoyleX2015-08-11 20:24

    I have never found a 350hp L10. Give me the engine serial # and I can tell you what it is. Definitely wont get you home in a hurry but will always get there. Later L10 all M11 go and go and go and go.

  7. #7Black71gp2015-08-11 20:38

    Thanks, they said was a county truck from Mississippi, anything up by me has been used for plowing and salt and is rusted out. I'll get the vin and engine number to check with the dealer, the 5.13 is an issue for driving it home the 700 miles. I have only seen 330 l10, on some cummins page I was looking at said there was a 350, and were made till 98? Always been a cummins fan, so that's what I liked about this truck over the dt466. I sub for a guy now driving a tri axle ford Louisville with the 8.3 cummins and 8ll and it's so slow only 275 hp.

  8. #8mowingman2015-08-11 21:15

    That company has a horrible reputation around the internet. You had better read all the reviews that have been posted. AND, you better go look at it in person, drive it, and take it to an independent mechanic, (if they will let you). From everything I have read, this company is known for selling painted junk. I know, you can not believe everything you read. However, there are so many fraud claims with them, that it convinced me to not look at anything they had for sale.

  9. #9clintm2015-08-11 21:30

    I have an L10 with an 5 speed Allison in a cabover volvo that was an front loader garbage truck that was converted to a roll off. pretty gutless on power and speed it done ok empty but any thing over about #40,000 pds it was sick and would not try to pull any weight on a trailer with it.

  10. #10Fastdirt2015-08-11 22:06

    I have never seen an L10 with 350hp either. That is just Baskin probably slapping a number on there. See that a lot on Truck Paper. It does say L10 on the engine though. I have a 94 L9000 with the L10 and an 8L and weigh 67,000 lbs. It has an air cooler and is turned up to the max. It might be the weakest truck on the road. It was/is my first truck and has done an excellent job for me but it is so gutless it hurts. I couldn't imagine that motor with only five gears and I can rev to 2200 rpms with 8 gears. It's only a 10 liter and that is too small for the class 8 trucks in my opinion. I would definitely keep looking if it were me personally. The new proud feeling will fade and you will be stuck holding up traffic. Did I say slow, weak, painful, frustrating, dangerously slow.. Now if you live in Florida with no hills it'd be ok but if you hit a hill it's awful. The only logical explanation I get for putting that motor in a tandem dump truck is to allow for more payload by saving weight on the engine. It gets the job done though and for $14,000 you might be the smartest guy out there. I've had mine for 4 or 5 years and it's paid for itself many many times over I just wish my plan of upgrading trucks was a year or so ago. Keep it for two years if it's in good shape and then upgrade because that is a good price. Love/hate relationship yes I know...

  11. #11repowerguy2015-08-11 22:40

    I Don't know about no power, we had old fixed time L10s in tri axle dumps and we loaded the wagon, at least 20 ton, late evening even more. The torque modified models were the best, 671 cpl I think. Highway speed they did fine, 5.38 gears, front box OD, 24.5 rubber , cruising!

  12. #12Silveroddo2015-08-11 23:03

    I've been there, They have earned the reputation and are great at taking pictures, I wouldn't waste the time driving down there.

  13. #13Black71gp2015-08-12 06:44

    I just saw all the reviews. Ok answers that question! And the search continues.