I’ve got a 2012 Volvo l50g wheel loader runs great did recently purchase and was moving dirt around an went in limp mode could cut it off an run it some more than it would do it again after a little while se 4405-12 Sid 216-12 Seems to run fine in gear until it throws these codes second does feel a little under powered in gear kinda bouncy until I get going! Any help would be appreciated as I’ve found it hard to find any info on solving my problems
What engine do you have? Maybe a trans service code derate
D4h
From the beginning, the first code is VSS. Check the connections at the output speed sensor. If it doesn't know how fast you're going it'll get upset. The second error, I'm not finding on the list. Typically 216, 250 or 251 indicate a breakdown in CAN communication between components. I would be more inclined to pursue the speed sensor first.
Like @funwithfuel stated the first code is your transmission output shaft speed sensor. It is on the rear side of the transmission case towards the axle. Check the harness and connections, remove it and check for metal on the face. The earlier ones were prone to failure and the newer ones are improved. The second code is either the VECU or IECU registering other ECU's have faults affecting operation. Both can be related and code be a failure of the CAN1 circuit.
Speed sensor was broke an those wires in the middle are frayed an corroded, it had a little grey on the magnetic face but very little
Good deal, at least no catastrophic failure.
I drained the drop box on the transmission to check and it looked fine just aged I figured it was gonna drain all the hydraulic fluid but only a gallon or so came out I guess when I crank it up it will pump more fluid down into there then I can fill hydraulic tank back up? Sorry for I’ve just never messed with many wheel loaders an never a Volvo so it’s all new to me an of course there is no book with it @funwithfuel
Should be a half inch pipe plug in the case about even with the propshaft. You fill it with SAE 30 if memory serves. Consult your ops n maint manual. Fill it just like an axle, till the oil dribbles out.
I got it thanks it took 80-90 gl5 Is there a way to drain the trans?
It should hydrostatic motor if I remember correctly. No actual trans to speak of aside from the dropbox
Like @funwithfuel said the check plug is on the left half way up towards the back of the housing. Fill with a high quality 15W40 HDEO and change yearly. Axles take WB102. For the motors start the engine and run to warm up while working the hydraulics then shut off and remove the case drain line off the top of the case the verify you have oil coming out of the transmission. Maintain that transmission well and make certain is does not get any contamination in it.
Thanks! @Ben Witter Just trying to get it all done right before i start working it, I called two different Volvo dealers and they said the drop box took 80-90 or 85-90 either or! I did see where the older models took 15w40 an I asked them to make sure a they assured me this took the 80-90! Will work the motors to make sure it’s all clean and ready to go hopefully this sensor fixes my issues
@Ben Witter @funwithfuel is the case drain like what feels like the big hydraulic line directly on top of the transmission kinda hard to get to just going off feel
Only the low speed machines can use 80W-90 or 85W-90 in the transaxle but WB102 is recommended. It is very rare to see a low speed machine in North America. All high speed machines of that vintage require 10W30 or 15W40 HDEO. Tell your dealer to read the charts a little better. The info is in your Op manual if you have one. The case drain is the hose off the very top of the housing where it is flat.
Unfortunately I don’t have a manual bought the machine used so was having to go off of what there telling me!I’ll change it out tho thank you for the help sorry for all the questions
That sensor has seemed to have solved my issue either one of yall know about the machine intensity trans aggressive setting and tractive power setting I’m sorry like I said I just don’t have the manual an haven’t found anything online to help me
Needs a little more juice pushing into my compost piles the settings now are 0 for trans aggression med/high for tractive power And machine intensity 60%
I Don't have anything to share regarding set-up. One thing I will add, make sure your floor is clean, that the brake treadle is free and that nothing interferes with the pedal returning to its full upright position. The brake has an inching function, it neutralizes the HST pumps the first inch or so of travel so that you're not working against the brakes. A little sweeping and lube goes a long way.
As @funwithfuel stated the inching pedal can be a source of trouble. Make sure you are in 1st gear as this will make certain both travel motors are in max displacement giving you the most torque at the wheels possible. Does the engine drop rpm's or just not driving into the pile like you want? Remember this is a compact wheel loader not a L220 so your expectations may be more than the machine can provide.