Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

L783 New Holland – hole near the top of the plastic fuel/diesel tank, how to seal?

shorton ยท 2014-11-30 23:04

Hi folks, I have had my '94 L783 with 4k hours for several years now. When I purchased it, the left side servo had come loose, and was still working but laying on its side. I got all of the bolts replaced and put back on at the time, but it leaked a little hydraulic fluid through the servo seals. The other day, I filled the diesel tank up to the rim, and the next day, I came out to a big puddle. At the time, I looked inside and it was wet just under the left servo area, so I assumed that the seals finally gave out. I ordered new seals from Messicks and put them in today, but looking more closely, I discovered that there is a hole in the plastic fuel tank that must have been caused when the servo was off (back when I bought it). The hole is high up, so only will leak when fully filled. And, my nose doesn't work real good, I couldn't smell the diesel versus hydraulic fluid. I'm interested to patch this hole, and I just read elsewhere online about someone putting a screw into the hole and using that to build up JB Weld around it. I've seen in stores JB Weld marine and the JBWeld putty called Waterweld-both say good for fuel environments. The hole is on a vertical surface. Anyone have experience with something like this? thanks, Stephen

Replies2
  1. #1wrwtexan2014-11-30 23:24

    I had a Case 770 with a plastic tank that I had to fix a similar problem on. I used hollow wall anchors with a rubber washer under the head. As the screw is turned, the backside expands and will cover a large area to pull against. Get one which expands close the head to insure it pulls tight and use fuel resistant sealant on the shank and screw.

  2. #2stovein2014-12-01 10:43

    NAPA used to carry a two part epoxy ribbon for patching gas tanks that worked really well. You could use it even while the tank was leaking.