Hey guys, Ive owned volvo equipment for quite a while and im starting to get into the common rail stuff. I own two L90F volvo machines. The first ive had for a year, the 2nd ive had for about a week. During the last snow storm a few days ago, machine one was pushing into a snowbank and threw an "engine failure" message. Everything looked ok, ran fine, no limp mode etc. I had the machine scanned and there was no active codes which would lead me to beleive anything about an engine failure. Thoughts on this? 2nd machine- purchased from a komatsu dealer in virginia. The machine showed up on the trailer stone dead. We hooked up to it, charged for a bit and it fired up. It instantly went into limp mode and displayed "injection system failure" on the screen. You can shut the machine off, re fire and the code goes away but pops back on randomly. When the message is up, the machine goes into limp mode, otherwise it runs fine. thoughts?? Ive already purchased new v belts, volvo filters for a full machine service and fluids as well and im going to service the machine and start there. Im hoping its something as simple as a slipping belt or dirty filter....thoughts? Thanks! Brian
The F series loaders were the beginning of common rail for Volvo CE. If the computer encounters a problem where the pressure falls outside of calculated range, it throws up "ENGINE FAILURE or FAILURE, FUEL SYSTEM." Excavators were equally difficult to troubleshoot. When you look in messages, there's no history of an error. Considering you stated the machine runs fine then displays the warning leads me to believe you have one or more injectors with excessive return volume. The fact she runs and is able to restart says your high pressure pumps are ok and your fuel pressure regulator are functioning. If the rail safety were defective, it wouldn't start. I'd bet a nickel, a six-pack of injectors and she'll be right as rain.
I can always count on you for the straight scoop! Is there any parameter i can watch on the screen while operating to see if it is in fact the injectors returning too much fuel? If I decide to throw injectors at it, would you go oem volvo? reman? Are there special tools needed to change out the injectors? and I would imagine cups are always part of doing an injector job? thank you!
Unfortunately, you're working on a loader. I don't think it shows actual rail and desired rail. Excavators do. That always irked me. If you have a way of monitoring the fuel pressure, you'll see target or desired pressure, you can monitor that against actual rail against FCV mA . If you're seeing 250 mA to the FCV and your rail is struggling to keep up with target, fuel is going somewhere. Yes, I'd go with factory or quality Bosch replacements. No reman. Nobody seems to be able to get the electronic side right. Special tools, not really. The hold down screw might be an inverted torx. In a pinch, I used a quality 6 point 8mm. Those sockets are cheap enough now, no reason not to get a set. Stay on top of filtration, particularly the fuel water separator. That fuel system has zero tolerance for water intrusion or contaminants that pass through "will fit" filters. Good luck
Thank you! ill let you know what i find!
I usually isolate the injector return line and run it into a bottle. If you get excessive fuel leakage off the injectors, then it’s time. usually between 5000 and 10,000 hours. Volvo has a spec for the fuel leakage in one minute, but I forgot what it is.
As a dealer tech, under warranty and afforded the time to isolate for justification, yes. I agree. In reality, every time I had a replaced 1 or 2 detectives, I would have to revisit and replace the remaining within a couple months. I agree with what you are saying. Unfortunately, it has proven more times than not, an exercise in futility.
No I understand definitely change all six. I’ve been in the same situation. I just do that test to verify it is the injectors.
This is all good info! Does anyone know the measurement that volvo is looking for when it comes to fuel being returned after the injectors? Tomorrow im going to dive into this a bit more. Ive already reached out for price and availability on injectors and cups.
I don't recall off the top of my head. I could see if I can find that info tomorrow. It's not posted in the F series literature, it's in the G series service literature. I'll try to find it, if we're not slammed with the weather.
Little update here. I started on the service yesterday, oil and filters, v belts, belt tension etc. Wouldnt you know it but the bolts for the belt drive fuel pump were literally falling out of the block. I fitted up all of the belts and tensioned them properly, took the machine for a spin and the dreaded " injection system failure" message hasnt come back.....fingers crossed!
That will do it. Glad you found something.
Kinda surprised that didn't lod 128-96-1. Either way, quick n cheap is the best .
Thanks for your help guys! While im not afraid to dive into some bigger projects, i also dont mind saving 5k on injectors!!
Circling back on this same issue. Machine one this time. 2007 l90f, shut down and had a crank no start symptoms. Found loose fuel pump belt, tensioned that and replaced fuel filters then it was fine for 50 hours. Last snowstorm it threw 96-12 code. Limped it back, scanned and found fuel feed pressure at 48 psi. Replaced lift pump now randomly get 94-7 and 96-12 along with engine and injection system failure. Any ideas??
Focus on low side fuel pressure PID94 says low feed pressure. Check the pulley of your lift pump. Does it have accumulated damp dirt smelling of fuel? Might be bad. Belt , is it cracked and glazed from being loose? Check fuel water separator for air intrusion, particularly where bowl meets element. If not using OEM fuel water separator, might wanna go back. I only sub Donaldson when I have to. After that, it's back to the beginning of the thread. Ideally, the low side should never starve for fuel pressure as the high pressure pumps can't move that volume unless there's a drastic fuel leak. Good luck
Thanks for the reply. So my independent guy tapped into the machine and he said it had 48 lbs lift pump pressure. He said spec was 93 to 97 so we changed the belt drive pump, new belt properly tensioned etc. Also found an air conditioning seal washer on the suction line on the pump so we replaced that with a copper washer. I'm going to check over the filter head now. I had to put one in my 2011 90f because the primer pump was dead.
Thanks for keeping us posted as to what you have found. Simon C
Bingo. Think I got it. Checking the rubber ball check valve in the filter head and found a plastic shaving. Looked like it could've come from the plastic plug on top of the rubber ball. Primed filters then stacked piles and scraped ice for 2 holes and never missed a beat...
Good picture. Thats all it can take to put a machine down. Good info for the rest of us. Simon C