VOLVO Loader This problem start a few year agoe Every 2 days we need to drain the water separator , in summer (5°C to 30°C) ,like winter ( 0°C to -40°C) The fuel gauge in the fuel tank was changed. The fuel control valve (FCV) was changed. Injector was changed at 13007 hrs Breather fuel tank = ok If some one could help me it was apreciate. Sorry for my english
Do you have a drain valve on the tank ? If you do ,drain some fuel out to see how much water you have. Check the tank for bad seal around fill,fuel level gauge,cracks ,vent rust spots anyplace water can get in
Where do you get your fuel? Do you have other machines with water issues? That tank is hard to get water in as it's under the hood. We had a water issue a few years ago, but it was one of our storage tanks
I drain the tank ,1 litre of water come out. I removed the tank to inspection and all it's ok . on winter time ,here no water. and when the operator fill the tank he remove the filler cap the tank is in negative pressure. I have 4 VOLVO loader L70F, L70G ,L120E , and fill at the same place , only the L90F have this problem. Thanks for your help
If you have negative pressure when removing the cap that is your problem you are sucking water dirt contaminants past a lever lock . above the fill tank in the radiator compartment you'll find a breather filter with a 6 mm line clear vinyl line going to it , replace that breather.
I push air with air gun in 6 mm line clear vinyl line and i hear air go out the the fill tank , the braether will be changed , the fuel lever sensor will be changed to.
I wouldn't necessarily change the sender I would change the gasket and make sure that everything around it is perfectly clean when you screw the new sender into the tank and make sure that it locks into place that it's not loose when you are done it should be very very difficult
You do have the one piece vinyl tank with the molded filler neck correct
Sorry for my english, the sender has been changed with new o-ring and scilicone on the hole screw, Thanks
Yes
Just make sure the rubber elbow hose item number 3 is properly secured at the tank and at the filler neck so that no water can seap in
Done.
Also check ohms on water in fuel sender...we had that problem with our nh loader....we replaced it...no problems since
Good point downside is hes actually removing water it's not just an erroneous value. Its real
Oh if there is actual water...eeeek bad on fuel pump and injectors. But to have that much water so often is also quite strange.
I draine water separator filter every 2 day , and I see the water in the plastic bowl
That is not normal....what is your relative humidity in the air
What is the condensation like?
We had a drill in bolivia during the rainy season and hot muggy days...we had to drain fuel separator often... we could actually feel the humidity on metal surfaces....the fuel system would have condensate in the tank. Over night...our best solution was to drain in am...plus completely fill tank at end of day
This is all a good answer but i have only 1 on 4 machine with this problem. humidity is 56% themp is -12°C
Then i will be of no use on this problem...has to be coming into tank or already in fuel...sorry about your luck
Thanks
I realize it's only on one machine out of four and you are rightly concerned about getting to the bottom of where the water is coming from, but even temporarily I think you should be draining the accumulated water more often, maybe even twice a day if it is correct that you're draining 2 litres of water every 2 days then at least the accumulation would only be 0.5 liter in half a day. Hopefully not enough to cause major damage to fuel system components and buy you some time while you're figuring out where the water is getting in.
Keep an eye on the water problem If it gets worse I would pressurize the tank a VERY LITTLE !!! Bit and spray soapy water over all of top and and all sealed joints .look for bubbles.
Done , when i remove the tank and changed the sender , before reinstall i cap the sender and pressurize the tank to be sure i don't have crack. I've had this problem for a few years, so I've done a lot of testing. Thanks for your help to all.
Good luck
One thing I would ask is are you using coolant? Are you sure you have water and not coolant in the fuel? It is uncommon but I have seen a few cylinder heads that must have had some porosity and would push coolant into the injector return galley. But I would exhaust all other avenues before I went down that road. I also would never use silicon around a fuel tank or system. Diesel or gasoline will attack silicon and cause it to degrade/fall apart and plug up the system.
Thanks Ben, i will try to by-pass the injector return line in a bottle and inspect what is goes out .
If your numbers of how much "water" you are draining out of the fuel system are correct, then surely if it was coming from the cooling system you ought to be adding coolant to the radiator on a fairly frequent basis..?
Yes remove the line from the banjo bolt on the head and route it to a jug then rum the machine. You will have to separate or block the return from the fuel control valve as that return will overflow a bottle or jug fairly quick. One other method is to get the machine hot and remove the banjo bolt from the head. Then pressurize the cooling system to the max which is only 7psi. If possible you can blockthe pressure cap opening and pressurize the system even more. As stated you should be consuming coolant if this is the case.
Yes , thanks , i will give you news.
This is what i found after 2 days of work, and its coolant.
Looks like Ben n Nige were on point. Now, knowing that almost all the fuel system is external except for return passage, I think you're looking at a new cylinder head.
Doesn.t that engine use injector sleeves ? As in one leaking coolant goes into fuel return? Bob
Big bores yes, small bores I believe are just iron. I could be wrong
T3 injectors are in a parent bore offset from the center of the combustion chamber. T4 forward the injectors are centrally located in the combustion chamber with sleeves. If it is coolant the only place I know that can transfer is the return passage in the head. That will require a new cylinder head, and yours is no good for a core on a reman.
Thanks , first i will change housing fuel filter #3 , is less expensive .if the problem persist i will change the cylinder head.
Fuel and coolant do not cross paths there. Oil would be contaminated by both fuel and water if that were the case. Good luck if you proceed.
I changed cylinder head and all i'ts ok , no coolant in fuel . Thanks for your help