Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lakefront property

rondig ยท 2019-02-04 02:06

Hey guys...know this is usual post...i am with hope that some of the southern people here can help me...My wife and i are looking for lakefront property in the southern usa for winter living...we love texas and went to see their lakes...they are very muddy and not clear...we are use to clear water in canada...mind you it is froze over now lol....anyways...we are looking for a nice deep clear lake to boat on...but we cant travel to every lake...GA,TX,FL,LA,AL,OK would all be good. Prefer not near a city ..we like out there...or small towns.....thanks guys

Replies29
  1. #1Vetech632019-02-04 07:04

    Here in OK you can drive between big lakes all you desire. There is about every kind of lake you can imagine (sandy beach, rocky, shallow, deep). Several huge ones within an hour or so of Tulsa in every direction.

  2. #2CM19952019-02-04 09:08

    Smith Lake in AL. Deep, clear and cheap. The lake is about an hour outside Birmingham and about about a 3 HR drive from the Atlanta airport.

  3. #3rondig2019-02-04 10:32

    Yeah we saw a couple of nice lakes in ok coming back from texas.. we are going back down with boat to check them out..i think it was called ufalah

  4. #4rondig2019-02-04 10:33

    I am looking into it....is it called lewis smith??? I can find that on map

  5. #5CM19952019-02-04 10:36

    Yes one and the same. It's known as just Smith Lake locally. We also have Lake Martin which is a beautiful lake but very pricey. Not to be confused with Lake Logan Martin which is nice but I wouldn't recommend.

  6. #6rondig2019-02-04 10:38

    Thanks man...will look up for sure....love water skiing and swimming. And looking for small town feel with low crime

  7. #7Nige2019-02-04 12:01

    Smith Lake, that brings back days at Drummond ........

  8. #8CM19952019-02-04 13:08

    That would be one in the same Nige.

  9. #9boaterri2019-02-04 13:21

    It is a little east of your target area but if you don't mind salt water try Abaco Bahamas

  10. #104x4ford2019-02-04 15:42

    Lake Eufaula in Oklahoma is fairly nice I used to live about an hr from there several state parks around it plenty of places to launch a boat

  11. #11Vetech632019-02-04 16:15

    and Grand, Keystone, Skiatook, Tenkiller to name a few more.

  12. #12crane operator2019-02-04 19:23

    I'm in far southern Missouri, 5 miles from the arkansas line. Here in town we have table rock lake and lake tanycomo, one on each side of the dam. Bull Shoals Lake is just further downstream. Bull Shoals is the least built up. Table rock (real deep 200') and Bull shoals are bass/ crappie. Taneycomo has trout from our fish hatchery. Lots of boating/ skiing on table rock. Taneycomo is actually more like a river than a lake. Home of Bass Pro shop is just a hour north in Springfield Mo. Lakes here are really clear- stone streams filling them. It would be a little cool here for winter time skiing. Its usually ok boating weather. Typical winter weather is 50's during the day and 30's at night. Occasional 60's and sometimes 20's (all F). Rarely in the teens and I've lived here 10 years and never seen below 8. Ground usually never freezes. Might snow 3 times a year, rarely stays more than a day or two. Lots of vacation homes around the lake, lots of resorts also. Bull shoals has much less of that- more wilderness. Most wintertime vacationers go further south- texas, arizona, florida. We see probably more full time retirees that don't want bitter cold, but still like a change of seasons.

  13. #13rondig2019-02-04 19:28

    Thanks guys....well we got flight booked...we will visit lakes in ok...then will check out smith lake....if we still have time i would like to check out sinclair in GA. I lived in searcy AR. For 2 years while building seismic drills for a company there...loved it there....but got a little chilly in jan and feb...but the people were so friendly.

  14. #14rondig2019-02-04 19:30

    Would prefer to stay south of the mason/dixon line...lol

  15. #15partsandservice2019-02-04 22:40

    Lake Sinclair is near me and have fished a lot. It not a clear lake, with some deep areas. I am not sure what you consider a small community .There are three different towns around the lake. Milledgeville, Eatonton, and Sparta. Milledgeville is a college town. Eatonton is a standard middle Georgia small town, and Sparta just is. Deep clear lakes will mostly be in north GA. Lake Burton, Lake seed, and Lake Raburn to name a few. This area is expensive, Nick Sabine and Alan Jackson have or had homes at Lake Burton. All of these lakes have fish considered northern like trout walleyes and yellow perch.

  16. #16rondig2019-02-04 22:43

    Interesting thanks for the info on sinclair....i was interested because the depth only changes 24 inches over the year...heard sparta just is lol....this lot is near the airport. So it is NOT clear?

  17. #17partsandservice2019-02-05 00:57

    The end of the lake near the airport is near the dam and as a general rule the water is clearer on that end of the lake.

  18. #18rondig2019-02-05 00:58

    Thanks for the info 3 acres on lake for 100k

  19. #19partsandservice2019-02-05 01:06

    I have owned property on Sinclair in the past , but it was a Georgia Power lease lot. I am currently searching for a place near Twin bridges , one that is deeded.

  20. #20Vetech632019-02-05 06:47

    They are friendly until college football season rolls around. They loathe Sooners and Longhorns.

  21. #21BigWrench552019-02-05 08:24

    Arkansas has clear lakes as well. Its not fully south but it's close enough.

  22. #22BigWrench552019-02-05 08:32

    This is off topic but I did work at a few Drummond mines in Alabama. I use to work for a company called Hoss Equipment. We bought a ton of 657's and pulled a dozen 1710 Cummins from some Euclids. One of the mines I remember had a very steep grade as soon as you left the mine. It's a small world. I built a ton of D11's and 777's for their operation in Venezuela. I miss those days traveling around the country working on the big iron.

  23. #23Nige2019-02-05 09:29

    A HEF thread going off topic. Whooda thunk it..? CM & myself were talking about this a while back. I lived in Jasper AL in a previous life working in the coal mines. I know of Hoss Equipment but never actually came across them working on the same job. I often wonder what happened to the equipment I worked on back in the day. Are Hoss still in business..?

  24. #24BigWrench552019-02-05 10:43

    Unfortunately no. Hoss went out of business when the banks lost their butts and had to be bailed out. Mr. Hoss is still doing refurbishing of equipment but on a much smaller scale. I was told that he didn't want to get as big as he was. It's to bad really that was the greatest company and man I ever worked for.

  25. #25crane operator2019-02-05 13:52

    Who doesn't?

  26. #26Vetech632019-02-05 17:22
  27. #27Trashman2019-02-05 18:24

    Lake Brownwood in Central Texas is a great lake. The lake is not clear like the lakes in Canada, but it is not muddy. Most of the time it is a blue/green color shown in the picture. I have lived in Brownwood area for most of my life and it is a great place to live, work and play.

  28. #28rondig2019-02-06 13:30

    Well we will be landing in ok city next saturday...will check out as many lakes as i can.....we could only get a rental CAR...so if u guys see a car with the driver slumped hidden behind the wheel....dont worry it is just me.

  29. #29rondig2019-02-10 12:53

    Well it is WAY warmer here than home..when i left it was -29. Saw 3 lakes so far...all really nice.. on way to smith lake tomorrow. Thanks for all the input guys....anyone ever been to beaufort NC. ? There are some big 2-3 parcels on IWC that look awesome...not sure about weather and kind of people there.