Hey guys, I am currently working with a survey outfit in Nanaimo as an apprentice Land Surveyor. Along with learning the trade i have come across a few questions that i would like to run by some equipment operators. When placing grade or layout stakes and nails, do you guys like the Cut/Fill showing on the stake facing the work area or would you like the location ie ( SMH###) showing? and the second question, If we are placing these in the road where work is being done, would a second set of stakes with an offset be beneficial to you guys if the work area is being driven over lots and there is a potentail of the layout being wiped out ? I have lots to learn in this field and i am hoping to get into BCIT next school year for this program and any incite would be great. thank you in advance Phill Ps, I do understand there may be different views, and i would like to hear them all. also if its to do with the scope of the work Ie( water main install ) is different then lets say road or curb install i would like to hear that as well.
I definitely like having an offset stake out of the road. It saves me and you from you having to come out and reset it. Good Luck in your studies, Mitch
Agree with Mitch.......... offsets.
Offset STUMP KNOCKER
Usually ask for 5' offset, cuts and fills written on the side facing the work with the station #, elevation on the back
I build a lot of sub- divisions , when i'm building a street , i like a center line for sub-grade and an off set to the side of the proposed road. For some reason , dump trucks don't like those orange pegs .lol
thanks for the replies guys, I'll keep all those ideas under my hat! and yes for some reason dump trucks just love getting the way as well as driving all over anything i do put down!
If you ever have a truck driver named Tiny on your jobsite I'd suggest stake's with hinge's on them.....:lmao
Yup... :lmao OCR...
you guys are too funny! :drinkup
I prefer offsets, the distance depends on what type of work it is. For storm or sanitary sewer manholes I like a 20' and 25' offset with hubs. The extra distance allows working room which is usually at a premium. For grade stakes it also depends on what the task is. I prefer 5' offsets for building pads, 3' offsets for curb/gutter and at least a 10' offset outside the edge of pavement for centerline stakes. I find it extremely efficient to get to know the survey crew and talk to them before they start layout. Fortunately I have the opportunity to work with the same survey crew on a lot of my projects and this helps a lot. For example - If they are coming out to stake curb and gutter, we discuss offsets and whether or not the grades need to be curb sub-grade or asphalt sub-grade. Obviously this can be a problem if the stake is just marked S/G with a cut/fill and no designation of the layer it's referencing. Inevitably, every project will have discrepancies from the design drawings to what is actually in the field. Many times the survey crew and I have solved minor issues in the field that had no real difference in how the final product performed. This saves time, money and grief - not to mention the myriad of emails and phone calls from upper brass that start flying over something that can easily be handled in the field.:cool2
offsets always. 3' work great for curb. I like 3-5' for edge of road as long as it is not a large fill. 10'min. for MH and CB. Something to remember to do with catch basins is give the guys orientation. I hate when the lay out guy give you nothing to line up with. if the building or curbs are not in it is hard to square up to them. good luck. keep the question coming.
Offsets with hubs including top/toe of slope. Info as DPete suggested. If you are ever lost in the wilderness and happen to have a lathe with you, just drive it in the ground and in no time a truck will show up to run over it!
A grade stake is like a genie bottle, put it in the ground and Tiny shows up to run over it...:tong
Poor Tiny, not around to defend himself