Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Large Drainage Pipe

xcavate ยท 2008-12-15 19:07

I am estimating a job right now that has 1000 ft of 60" and 800' of 48" with 10 8' dia manholes on a new road in the city. Largest drain I have installed to do is 48" in a short run.What kind of production can I get? I have a PC600 excavator WA500 Loader D31 for backfill I have a 8'x8'x20' trench box and a 12'x12'x'10 Manhole Box Also there is 6000' of 20" water main on the job never done water above 12" so far.

Replies12
  1. #1dirt digger2008-12-15 20:03

    if it is in the city good luck getting a 60 ton machine in there

  2. #2xcavate2008-12-15 20:37

    I can get the PC600 in there and have enough room to work it. Ill probably estimate the water with a ec460 but the drainage with the PC600. There is also several hundred feet of 18" Sewer thats 10' deep. The EC460 wont pick up the manholes for the big pipe is the problem.

  3. #3mikef872008-12-15 20:55

    I would plan on a manhole a day. Then figure maybe 100-150 feet of pipe a day depending on how deep, and if you have any obstacles. The water main I would plan on 60-100 feet a day. I know this is a rough estimate, but I don't know the exact site conditions. I've done 400 feet of water main through a suburban neighborhood before. I've also had jobs where you get a pipe every other day. Take my estimates run them and see what you come out to.

  4. #4Turbo218352008-12-15 20:59

    Around here most guys would say awww, a cute little 60 ton machine. Most companies are running 385s for mainline. This includes water line. Nothing like setting three sticks of ductile in one cut. Never been on anything that big, currently running 60 inch CMP for a underground storage system. We are not setting any production records because we are getting stone, then loading the stone trucks with spoils to export from the site. I wouldnt imagine it would take long with the 600. Depends on obstructions, room for spoils, and how many manholes on the 60 inch

  5. #5xcavate2008-12-15 21:57

    Its for a new roadway extension so its wide open. I was going to figure 150 a day for the drainage and the 125 for water. Its alot of long straight runs. According to the plans nothing in the way except at one intersection with have to pass through. If I move the 600 there it has to be worth it. I will use an offroad haul truck as a movable stone box.

  6. #6dirt digger2008-12-15 22:11

    ohh, when you said city i was assuming a 20' wide street with sidewalks and buildings on each side....

  7. #7Turbo218352008-12-15 22:14

    Ok, you say your main issue is the size/ weight of manholes. Any way you can get the manholes precasted in smaller pieces? Or, what would the rental on a crane be vs moving the 600 in?

  8. #8PipeGuy2008-12-19 22:42

    How deep is the sewer and what material is the pipe? Is it HDPE or Concrete? As for the waterline I personally have put in 1000' of 12" DIP slip joint in about a 10 hour day. We were also in the wide open and that included hydrants. Most of our material was native that we backfilled with. We did have to cover the pipe with sand before we backfilled. We laid that with an old Insley 1500. The fittings is what will take time with that 20"

  9. #9992G2008-12-20 22:18

    Make sure you don't have these in your drainage pipes while they are waiting to be put in. From Flordia Power and Light working at Orlando International Airport.

  10. #10stock2008-12-20 22:41

    St Patrick got rid of them snakes for us

  11. #11N.CarolinaDozer2008-12-21 08:59

    :stirthepotThat's when you send a laborer down into a box to get some of those rubber seals. Then watch him come out screaming like a girl! :woohoo

  12. #12Loaderman3802008-12-21 17:27

    Your estimate on the drainage sounds pretty close. Our crews can do aprox. that footage in a 10 hr. day, 8' to 12' cut. The water seems a little low. Our crews do typicaly 600 to 800 ft. per day, however we are only going 4 ft. of cover in easy digging. Also it depends greatly on how many fittings will be involved, bolting up those large fittings takes time. We do most of our digging with Cat 345's and use native soil for backfill. Underground utility is our main line of work.