Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Large Impact Sockets

LN Pipeline · 2024-08-04 01:09

Does anyone know where I can get an impact socket for this nut? It looks like a 4” 12 point socket?

Replies7
  1. #1eastroad2024-08-04 08:24

    You’re in luck ! Sort of. Apparently Williams makes one. I searched Google using a variety of key words and finally used 4” 12 point standard socket. Several popped up, including one on Amazon, but when I went directly to Amazon and searched it must be buried quite deep because it didn’t turn up there. The key is I only found 6 point sockets when I looked for impact ones, but the 12 point Williams one using Google described it as an impact socket. Hang on to your wallet, though. Williams is quality, and they are proud of it. ONLY $558.00

  2. #2crane operator2024-08-04 09:35

    I've got a bunch of big old sockets. I'll see if I have one. I could send it to you and then you send it back. How much depth do you need? Some of my big old sockets are external drive for a external drive ratchet, and won't work good down in a hole.

  3. #3MarcusZ19672024-08-04 11:29

    Flip the nut over and measure across flats only. If you look down slightly while measuring and you see more than 3 points you'll not get a good distance.

  4. #4Junkyard2024-08-04 11:54

    How tight does it need to be? You could have somebody with a plasma table or a pattern torch cut one out and fabricate the necessary tool. That big the fit is not as critical. I have 4” but it’s 6 point.

  5. #5LN Pipeline2024-08-06 19:23

    I appreciate the offer, but I think I found one. I’ll probably be in these gearboxes again in the future, so I better have one on hand.

  6. #6Cliffy2024-08-07 07:17

    Before you order the socket, i would recommend re measuring it. Your calipers are measuring the outside width. That is not how its sized. You need to measure the flats of the nut as per @MarcusZ1967 picture.

  7. #7LN Pipeline2024-08-07 23:20

    Thank you. I had to look at the picture several times before I saw how I was not measuring correctly. I actually didn’t order a socket because it wouldn’t fit in the recess that the nut is in. I made a tool to get it off, and it was quite a chore. I guess that’s how it’s going to half to go back on.