Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Large rubber duck

uffex ยท 2020-07-05 05:14

Maybe of interest t

Replies38
  1. #1colson042020-07-05 06:59

    Dang, that is certainly something you don't see in my neck of the woods. A couple counties have small, 4 wheel versions they use for clearing ditches, but that's about it. Thanks for sharing.

  2. #2mitch5042020-07-05 08:26

    Yep, definitely interesting. I notice the elevating cab, that's actually set up as a material handler, like for a port, or scrapyard, isn't it? You got any more info on it?

  3. #3uffex2020-07-05 09:43

    Good day Mitch Yes you are correct I have some other picts. but not a lot of background see what I can find. kind regards Uffex

  4. #4uffex2020-07-05 09:53

    Recent post H16 mounted on a crane chassis

  5. #5Ct Farmer2020-07-05 10:37

    Looks like a Volvo/ Akerman, 1996 EW650. EC650 on wheels. Rare duck indeed, only made the 650 for 3 years. https://www.volvoce.com/global/en/product-archive/crawler-excavators/kerman-ec-series/ec650/

  6. #6John C.2020-07-05 11:23

    Liebherr seems to have the scrap metal market for those machines in my area. The other big one is Sonnebogen.

  7. #7funwithfuel2020-07-05 11:24

    I think, the largest I've seen is EW210C I have never seen anything on that scale from volvo. Liebherr yes, no Volvo. They could certainly give Liebherr, Sennebogen and Sany a little competition with a product like that in the scrap market. That looks like a EC650 on a grove crane car body. I don't have a clue who's gooseneck and boom that is. It looks well thought out.

  8. #8funwithfuel2020-07-05 11:24

    Same players in my area

  9. #9Norwegian Steam2020-07-05 12:50

    that looks like its set up as a material handler of some sort. the elevating cab is so they can see into high sides when loading. the thing throwing me off is the tires though, typically the scrap handlers have solid tires as they get punctured basically every day working in that environment. Sennebogen, Liebherr and CAT are usually the big players in those markets around here.

  10. #10John C.2020-07-05 13:08

    Cat bought out a company that made the Exodus line of scrap handlers and it was a disaster. Two of the machines were sold in my area and the problems included broken slewing bearing bolts, catastrophic failures in the hydraulic system, electronic ghost and more. The owners got Cat to buy the units back and they might still be sitting in the Mt. Vernon, Wa. branch yard NC Machinery yard. I've not seen any other of these machine anywhere else. Years ago one of my clients was a scrap handling operation that had been using Barco conversions mounted on top of railroad carbodys. They asked if Cat would be interested in a custom build to replace the Barco units. Cat told them the only way they would do that is if the eventual owners of the machines signed contracts absolving Caterpillar of all liability and there would be no warranties of any kind. The only other Cat material handlers I've seen in the scrap industry were converted M318s with a custom build for the elevating cab.

  11. #11Norwegian Steam2020-07-06 00:08

    company down here called SA recycling buys the 70K and 90K Cat scrap handlers 10 at a time.

  12. #12John C.2020-07-06 10:36

    Nice, do you have some photos of the Cats? I take the 70K and 90K are converted excavators?

  13. #13uffex2020-07-06 11:02

    Good day John There may be some hidden in the achives I will post those as they come to my attention - should we make a thread dedicated to strange excavators? Kind regards Uffex

  14. #14John C.2020-07-06 20:21

    That might be kinda cool.

  15. #15BigWrench552020-07-06 20:44

    Agreed

  16. #16Theweldor2020-07-06 20:57

    Those are some pretty unique machines that's for sure.

  17. #17uffex2020-07-07 06:19

    Here is one that made me smile at the time as the cabin was the best on the market then you send the operator outside to control the machine. Regards Uffex

  18. #18funwithfuel2020-07-07 08:41

    Before their time.

  19. #19uffex2020-07-08 12:24

    Come on guys I must be the only contribution to the strange applications.

  20. #20funwithfuel2020-07-08 12:55

    I've never seen anything like that in my area wearing Volvo colors. It must be limited to European manufacturer. Maybe coastal states might see them, but I haven't. Not in the mid western United states.

  21. #21uffex2020-07-08 13:37

    Good day FwF There are a few different makes have the tall turrets not sure how good that works or how the operator gets in and out. Kind regards Uffex

  22. #22DMiller2020-07-08 14:48

    Seen similar but Railcar mount at scrap yards.

  23. #23excavator2020-07-08 17:20

    So that's why they're setting there. Interesting.

  24. #24John C.2020-07-08 20:51

    I'll have to dig some, but I know I have some photos of the Exodus machines. Here is a log processor typically known as a stroker. Here is an early long front unit I put together in about 1998.

  25. #25uffex2020-07-09 04:08

    Hi John that top pict. is a little unclear can you post it as full size? Thanks Uffex

  26. #26funwithfuel2020-07-09 15:32

    Have you ever watched duckgirl86 on YouTube? That girl has incredible skills. Definitely worth a look.

  27. #27treemuncher2020-07-09 17:20

    Thanks for posting this. I'll have to show it to my wife to give her some incentive. I still can't get her interested in running any of my machines other than the bush hog or mower. That girl was doing fine on the Menzi A91. Looked almost identical to the cab on mine, the one that I am still trying get proficient with. On those Menzi Mucks, you don't want to be in a precarious position and hit the wrong control direction at the wrong time. Gravity never gives up and is always happy to point out your faults.

  28. #28John C.2020-07-10 22:49

    Here is a photo of the Exodus. It is an original build and not a converted excavator. It might have worked out better if it was converted. The photo I posted earlier was taken about twenty years ago. The copy is from the manuscript of my book on appraising. I'll do some digging and try to find the original.

  29. #29uffex2020-07-11 03:41

    I have not seen this animal but the 38 Mt (125Feet0 Conveyor on its back

  30. #30uffex2020-07-11 03:50

    Good day here is a couple more

  31. #31John C.2020-07-11 10:15

    We used to see those carriers here back in the late seventies and early eighties in the logging industry. I've had to install two foot and four foot cab risers on them when I worked for the Link-Belt dealer. If I remember right they were called Maxi Mounts carriers.

  32. #32excavator2020-07-11 11:51

    I believe Parker Schnabel from "Gold Rush" has something similar.

  33. #33uffex2020-07-13 03:57

    Good day During the era John mentioned I to had experience of the "High rise" cabin, in my case it housed a 17Kw hydraulic driven generator to power the 55" magnet. Kind regards Uffex

  34. #34uffex2020-07-15 07:13

    Try to keep the ball rolling ladel wrecking machine at the steel works.

  35. #35uffex2020-08-06 14:32

    Keeping the discussion alive conversion to older methods. Kind regards Uffex

  36. #36Syleng12020-08-06 21:40

    Wow! Some wicked interesting machines folks! Thanks for sharing. Syleng1

  37. #37Naftergatiki2024-01-19 09:24

    this is ours

  38. #38Tones2024-01-20 00:47

    Find the cab