Hi, I have the following question: does anybody of you recognize the excavator shown in this picture? http://zuzutop.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/huge-snake-.jpg According to my source, this picture was taken at the Sayabouri province in Laos. I want to estimate the size of this reticulated python for a publicaton, but therefore I need the exact measurements of the bucket. Can anybody help me? Thanks in advance!
I would guess that the bucket would be 40-42" wide. Just a guess though. It might be a 36" bucket. I'm curious as to how long the snake is. I wouldn't want to run across one of those while out in the woods.
for the love of all things good! Dats a big fookin' snake.
I'd guesstamate that bucket to be a standard 36 inch model..........I see no reason to kill such a pretty creature...............I'm going to say approx. 12 to 14 foot.
That is a pretty creature if you are on the outside looking at it. And not on the inside trying to look out. I remember a story I read in Readers digest many years ago about a man on a D8 I believe in India working on a road project. Going through or near a jungle. A large python was aggravating the cat operator to the extent that he was feeling threatened. The python was killed and cut open and two human bodies were inside. That python hide would look good made into belts, or maybe shoes.
If you figure each tooth @ 4" wide and the same width space inbetween then 5 teeth x 4"=20" and 4 spaces x 4"=16" so then 20"+16"=36" bucket width. If the teeth are 5" wide then the total bucket width would be 45" which would be too large, so I'm thinking 36" is going to be right.
Many thanks for all your prompt replies! Here some more questions to the experts: Do you think it is possible to identify the excavator brand and the model in this picture? Can you exclude a bigger bucket than 45โโ with certainty? Due to what evidence? And have all excavators around the world standardized bucket sizes? Kind regards
Looking at that photo I would say it's at least a 42" bucket, maybe even a 48". 5 teeth @ approx 4-5" wide each + 4 spaces @ 6" wide gives a total of maximum 49". Looking at the bucket width in relation to size of the rest of the machine and the size of the guy on the platform plus taking the perspective into account I would say it's a 42" bucket and maybe even a 48". If it's a 48" then that would make the snake about a 20-footer which is about the size of others I've seen in both Africa and Indo. If it's a 42" then the snake's about a 17-footer. Interesting to see the remains of the snake's last meal in its belly just where it's hanging over the bucket. I wonder what that was..?
The excavator appears to be painted Sunbelt Equipment green in color. If the picture was in fact taken in Laos, maybe you could determine if the excavator was rented from a Sunbelt location and then you could call them and see what size the bucket is. In my opinion, the bucket would be between 36" and 42" no larger or smaller. As I said before, I'm leaning towards 36" do to the amount of teeth. Unfortunately, It would be very hard to determine the exact excavator manufactuer in this picture due to the angle that it was taken. I wonder why the operator and the other guy are wearing pink shirts?
If you look at the width of the tracks on the excavator, they seem fairly narrow. I don't think a machine with this width tracks would have a bucket any larger than 42". I would say that the excavator would weigh in the 15-16 ton range. Just a guess, but it is based on not only the width of the track but the height of the track (not that tall) also.
Even if we could tell the manufacturer, any size bucket could be on it. There is no standard size...........Normally but not always the following sizes are able to be purchased on most any brand excavator 12 , 18 24, 36 , 42, 48 etc.........Still loooks to be a 36" or max 42" to me.........What's the point here ? It's a huge snake well into the teens in length.......
The color appears to be early Kobelco. The size might be a SK150 but more that likely a SK200.
Green with a grey cab. I knew I'd seen that colour scheme around before. Kobelco it would be then, it's not usual for owners in that part of the world to paint their machines colours that are different to whatever they come with from the factory. Don't get fooled by the apparent lack of width of the tracks. The perspective resulting from the location from which the photo was taken would make things look a bit weird. I'll agree with most who have posted, the bucket's probably around 42" wide which would make the snake around a 16-17 footer.
its an ex 200-1 hitachi painted green, track width means absolutely nothing you could have 6 foot wide tracks either side of a 12 ton machine, and the next day you could put 1 foot wide tracks on it. the bucket is 4 foot wide with 235 tips and it looks a good bucket, as for mr snake about 18 feet long i would say!
Link to the website in the watermark http://bbs.meizu.com/ Translation might be necessary. Ive found people claiming the size from 20-80 feet and locations from Georgia to China lol . Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
This is exactly what I was thinking as I read through the replies.
Well it could be argued that a machine comes from the factory with a standard sized bucket. Or in other words a GP bucket that the manufacturer/designer of that machine thinks is the right size for that machine for most situations. For example www.esontrading.se/kx41spec.pdf which sates that the bucket has a capacity of .04 cubic meters and a width of 450mm. I have a bucket that size for my KX and I also have other sized buckets but where someone to ask what the standard bucket for my machine is I would show them the 450. Lets say it is a Hitachi 200, according to their website http://www.hitachi-c-m.com/global/products/excavator/medium/zx200-3/specification_1.html the standard bucket has a capacity of .80 m3 and a width of 1030mm. Sure they list other sized buckets but the standard one that comes with it is the .80 m3 one http://www.hitachi-c-m.com/global/p...x200-3/standard_and_optional_equipment_1.html Kobelco also states that their 200 has a .80 bucket http://www.kobelco-kenki.co.jp/english/products/australia/index.html but has a wider width. So I think we could say that if that is the standard bucket for a 20 tonne class machine, it would be just over a meter wide.
I think that you nailed it ....... I thought the top of the boom cyl's looked familiar (bolted on caps) ......... obvious guy says have a look at the boom cylinders massive diameter and base length (tube)compared to the operator and the cab size ... and have another look at the mass of size the main boom is ...... deffinitely a min 200 size exc. .....my vote would be a min 48" bucket and one "MOTHER" of a BIG Fargen Snake !
Who gives a ratts swollen rectum about the size of the bucket? That snake needs a proper burial!
Ok, you got me (and pafarmer), on a technicality there. I'll rephrase... ....cause even if they come from the factory with a standard size bucket, that can be changed before it leaves the dealer, or even multiple times a day if the operator feels like it. Better? For the purposes of the OP wanting to determine the "exact" size of the snake, because of the possible variety of buckets available, guessing at the size of the bucket will yeild less than precise results. If the OP's happy with, 'it's about a (certain size) bucket, therefore it's about a (certain size) snake', then, Ok.
Hello everybody, At first many, many thanks for all your efforts for helping me to determine this excavator and its bucket. Very, very sad to here, that almost every size of bucket could have been on this excavator and that not even the number of the teeth can be used as a hint of the wide of the bucket. As already noted by other users, this picture was in several newspapers and even a biologist recently mentioned the shown reticulated python as probably 11 m long in a scientific paper. I would have loved to disprove this most probably very exaggerated measurement with the help of you โ the experts. But I realize now, that it seems almost impossible. Once again, thank you very much for all your help!
The tail of the snake goes under the excavator. I wouldn't bet against it being 11m based on this picture.
Well most here agree that the bucket is over a meter wide but I understand that you want to be 100% certain. Due to the angle the picture was taken at, it is hard to judge the size of the snake against the size of the machine, as the actual size of the excavator is known http://www.hitachi-c-m.com/global/pdf/products/excavator/medium/ex200-2/KS-E076.pdf however once again we can't be certain as to the length of the excavator arm, as there are three sizes. Also I don't think that the boom is all the way up, so once again it is guess work. However I would guess that the bottom of the teeth are between 4 and 5 meters off the ground, the top of the cabin is 3 meters. Another factor is that not all of the python is shown, with it's tail in the grass. However if we say the bucket is 1.03meter (40.5") wide then the claim of 11meters(36 feet) is probably not that far off the mark. Unfortunately we cannot be 100% sure, if there where more pictures from different angles it would be easier to judge.
This photo is a FAKE, in my opinion. It would be almost impossible to pick up a snake like this with an excavator. I would think you would need a clam or thumb to grab it. If the snake is dead how was it killed and only the head was damaged?
It looks like there's some type of ear on the bucket. Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Why would you bury a snake like that. The killing of a python is probably rare. The meat in that snake could bring top $$$ at a local restaurant in the area. Hopefully they saved the hide and butchered the snake before the meat spoiled. I have heard of eating rattle snake in the southern U.S. I could see handbags belts and clothing of some sort being made out of the skin and sold for big $$$$. Even alligators in the south were made into handbags and other things. When the alligator was protected those items brought even bigger $$$$. There is a lot of good meat in an alligator tail, and that python looks all tail. Hopefully that snake was put to good use and not wasted.
Probably for a ripper.
no its not, i have taken on alot tougher challenges than lifting up a dead snake on the bucket, it can and has been done, try flicking open the taildoor of a tipper truck delivering stone to a road that i was the machine dribver on , flicking open the taildoor with the grading bucket of a zaxis 130lcn at full trottle while tracking backwards, and slewing to the right at full boar and the lorry reversing, i do it all the time it saves the lorry driver andf me time ,esp if we are in a hurry of a price job!
No reason to believe this is a fake. A hoe that size could pick 10,000-15,000 lbs easy. The bucket is definately bigger than 36" I would say it's at least 48".
Any one notice that is not just a bucket. It is some sort of open bottom grapple bucket. Look at he hinge point the snake is on and the other on the top of the pic. It may be all kind of odd dimensions now. Standard is not standard on this thing.
The other thing that no one has brought up is the way the photo was taken. It is a forced perspective. The camera is set to have a deep depth of focus and it is shooting the photo at a low angle. The two men on the machine can be clearly seen. Your eyes will automatically use the size of the men to infer the size of the bucket and snake. The low angle of the camera accents the perspective. To truly make the photo representative of the size of the snake, one of the men needs to be standing next to it. I'm sure it is a big snake. I don't think it is something the world has never seen before.
I sure would hate too have one of those bad boys after me!
holy crap!
Well from this old coot perspective probably a EX130 with a 1m bucket, I seen those tooth carriers on lots of imported buckets and they are a proper pain in the back side retaining pin is on rubber and fall out with great regularity. Also seem to recall a post here on the forum about a similar bucket again on a Hitachi that had two similar horns on the back,was being used in demolition..........................but then I'm an old coot that no-one pays attention too
No, no, no! All of you are wrong. That machine is obviously a repainted PC400. That would make the snake 70 to 80 feet long.
WHO REALLY CARES ! ..... :Banghead...........That's ONE MOTHER of a big Snake and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that thing without being in an excavator like that what ever size it is !!! ......LMFAO ......:falldownlaugh ........ LOL......
It wouldn't matter, I treat all snakes as if they are one of the dreaded copper headed rattle moccasins and treat accordingly with tender loving care from my 12 guage.
with a hitachi dash 1 cab and bonnet, its an ex200-1 or a 220-1
You sure? kinda looks like a John Deere 595D to me......I would dare to say that bucket is a 60" wayne Roy swinger bucket. It's a big snake, who cares I don't.
What ?? ...a 595D ........ lol ............???? ....... LOL that's a wheeled Machine ....***....LMFAO
lmfao lmfao......................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lmao
Oh heck. I think it is a Komatsu 7734. NOT.... I love the pissing contest though..
That's it, it is absolutely not a komatsu 7734, I will only tell you folks once more what it is, it is a Bantam C-35 with a backhoe attachment mounted on a Reo truck carrier. Look closely at the upper, you can see the trademark "Bantam" rooster......