Ok guys, I will be graduating from college in the spring. I was going to have a degree in Mining Engineering, but I couldn't handle the math so I got a degree in Ag Tech. I know right now the best place to go for mining is up to the oil sands. Which company has the largest operation up there? I want to work at the one with the largest fleet of equipment. I think I am going to apply at all of them: Shell, Syncrude, and Suncor. I think I would like to be a mechanic assistant or something along the lines of maintenance on equipment.
Biggest operations in tar sands I would believe, and I could be wrong but Syncrude is the biggest operations up in fort Mac but they are all impressive. But don't jump in with the lure of dollers there is a bad side to fort mac you should talk honestly to a couple of people in that area. Drugs and crime are a real problem in that type of town. single women to men must be 10 to 1. Housing is expensive up there. (Which I bought when my old company was trying to talk me to move up there so they could start a office up there). In my opinion it is a good place to go get some experience and get your feet on the ground then get out of dodge.
You might go here http://64.235.41.59/wwwboard/stripmine/index.html and see what they can tel you. I think that there are some people from Fort Mac. that are on that site. Good luck in your ventures.I go on Fri for a physical for American at Galatia. Supposed to be on top running a D-9 or D-10.
I go back and forth to fort mac all the time during the winter for my job. Its a hole up there. Very scenic nice, but spend some time at a few restaurants, pubs and hotels and you will see what everyone means. Its also pretty expensive up there. Not just housing, but for hotels, food, fuel, you name it.
Thanks for the input guys. I know I read about the high prices and all the crime in an article. In the article they said some people call it "Fort Crack" Im either gonna work up there or apply at Cat global mining and see where in the world they could send me. Hopefully I don't have a serious girlfriend by the time I graduate so I can move anywhere I want. Hay, kuncklehead, where do you currently work? I work at S coal in Elkville, and we have some guys that went over to American coal.
On my way to American, I had to go through the underground,and surface training this weekend. I am supposed to start on the 25th. I sent a Resume over to S coal, but never heard anything from them. Have you put any thought into Wyoming? Arch still has some big mines out there. is out there at Thunder Basin. Anyhow good luck on your adventures. Heath
I have no interest in going out to Whyoming. A few guys that Work with me now were out there, and said the wind always blows 40 mph and there is not a tree in sight.
They were not lying to ya. but as they say out there, it wouldn't be so windy, if Canada didn't suck so bad. Now before everyone goes bashing me, I didn't say that Canada sucked!!!!!!!!!
When I lived there Nebraske was the culprit.
Or Colorado, depends on which way the wind is blowing!!!!!!!!!
Does anyone on this site work for any of the companies that work in fort mac? I've thought about working up there for a year or two and get expercience then move. The Wyoming wind is bad, it's weird when you live there and it's not windy. You think something must be wrong.
Alco works in Fort Mac.
What's the rate of pay up in Ft. Maccrack?
Working up in FMM You will just have to pick and choose your friends! Not everyone up there does drugs , that is why some of us aren't the life of the party! I had better find out which company I am going to work for this week. Or I will be back on the hoe.
they just arent paying enough up there right now to make it worth it to me to go up and work there and stay in the camp.. one day though if the right deal comes along, right shift cycle, and travel package, then I might find myself up there.