Anyone have opinions, ideas or advice what a good slope/grade control system for a cat 320C excavator would be? Used primarily for laying drainage pipe. Thanks
If I'm interpreting your post correctly, I assume you're looking for advice on a bucket position system. I'm not going to quote any particular brand, just make a few observations. First, you want a system that has the sensors connected by a cable. Although convenient, the wireless ones are SLOW. You'll be spending your time waiting for it to catch up. Second, you're going to want a fifth sensor connected to a laser receiver on the stick. That way, the system can "bench" itself each pass. That's the only way to accurately dig trench for pipe because your always moving the machine.
I use the Trimble system on a 210 case for the work you are talking about. It is all cables and has the receiver to bench everything you move. I run different spades on a 2' bucket for each size of tile. Have to adjust for each tip. There's a learning curve, and it has to be calibrated perfectly for what your wanting to do. It works, but still takes patience and concentration to get the bottom perfect for tile. A tip if you go this route, don't bench until you are ready to make your final grade passes. Or be sure to re bench right before you do. To much wiggle if you only bench at the start of a sitting.
What trimble system are you running if you don't mind sharing? And when you say spades are you refering to a "spoon" that attaches to the bucket that form a "u" for the pipe to lay in?
Shimmy1, Thank you for the adivce on the non wireless one. I was looking into a trimble that was all wireless.
No problem. Whatever you decide on, hopefully they might let you demo it, or put you in touch with someone who has the system so you can try it out. Spending $10-15K will really suck if you don't like the system.
I am using the Flex controller. I have had the brackets and cables set up on my mini and large excavator and just move the sensor and box. Use it on the mini for digouts and outlets. Gives the ability to run grade for short distances without a laser. Yes the spades are different tips for the different size tile. I do mine in the standard trencher bottom shape, with the sidewalls supported like the tile manufacturers recommend. The round ones are good as well, as long as you use the same brand of tile all the time, and never get into any really wet conditions. We found that when its really wet, and even a little sandy the slot for the tile will squeeze in enough that its tough to get the tile to the bottom and seated properly.
Anyone use the spectra LR60 mounted to the stick? I know its not the best but for only couple jobs a year it looks like it would be ok?
Works ok. Better to have it on the bucket though.
It would work, agree with Shimmy it would be better on the bucket. It would be difficult to maintain grade perfectly with it on the stick, for tile installation. If you are doing mains with it they will likely be very flat, and that doesn't leave much room for error. If it's only a couple of jobs a year just put someone in the trench with a stick. you will likely need someone crumbing and placing pipe anyhow. Just make sure you bench the trench when necessary, and keep the water away and you will be fine.