Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Laser That Wont Break The Bank

Danny Steel ยท 2011-03-22 16:58

Hey guys, The time has come that I need a laser level, I have been using the old style 2 man level. The small excavations I do are maybe 1000 sq '. Is It possible to get a small laser around $500?...used, New?

Replies10
  1. #1stumpjumper832011-03-22 19:47

    Home depot was selling some w/ warranty for like 475 last year, kit style. laser, tripod, detector, grade rod and case. Thats what I have and I like it. Its manual leveled just like an old school transit, but it works nice. I like it because I can manually set whatever angle I want to run rather than being limited to 10 degrees. Downside is that the detector only have a 2.5" high reception range, but what do you expect for 475. Oh, and its only a 10 or 12' grade rod, thats aluminium. It works for me and if it broke tomorrow, I'd go get another one.

  2. #2jrtraderny2011-03-22 19:53

    http://laser-grade.com/ Try this place, I've had good luck with them. jr

  3. #3Danny Steel2011-03-22 20:03

    What make Is It?.......Thanks Good deals In there.....a bit far for shipping up to here...Thanks D

  4. #4stumpjumper832011-03-22 20:37

    www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-10...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 Its cst/berger

  5. #5Willis Bushogin2011-03-22 22:29

    I like the ones made by Spectra/Trimble. They have a good support/repair dept. You can find some good ones on Ebay, I only buy from distributors/repair centers. I like the automatic level machines. I think I paid around $800 for the last new one I bought. It comes with everything, including carrying case. What I did at first, was ask some of the local guys, where they get theirs and what they use, they may have a good used one for sale. I dont like the Home Depot ones, they are not heavy duty enough for my applications

  6. #6jrtraderny2011-03-23 09:43

    Freight's cheap

  7. #7Danny Steel2011-03-25 10:16

    Ok.........If the freight Is not too much, Can someone advise me on a laser that will do the job for my small mini ex business? Theres lots too choose from....and I'm not using It every day, or need a range greater than 100' or so.........I need the whole kit. story rod, reciever, tripod ,level Thanks guys

  8. #8jrtraderny2011-03-25 14:52

    Try this one.The whole works is $695 US , I would call them they can quote you the frt. And they're real nice to deal with. http://laser-grade.com/l47.htm Doesn't come with tripod though. Look at this tripod. http://laser-grade.com/northwest_NAT83_tipod.htm If you're working alone you might want to consider this also, http://laser-grade.com/spectracr600.htm jr

  9. #9Danny Steel2011-03-25 18:04

    Thanks Jr.......I like that gadget that goes on the boom......It must be great for keeping a trench at the same depth

  10. #10jrtraderny2011-03-25 22:26

    I've got a similar setup I 've used for the last 10 yrs. works great. jr