Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Latest big Cat finished

Zed ยท 2013-02-06 01:57

New Caterpillar 6090 FS.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies70
  1. #1robin yates uk2013-02-06 02:34

    now this is what BIG really means,,,,,,awesome

  2. #2Zed2013-02-06 03:51

    More pics

  3. #3dirty4fun2013-02-06 05:18

    Wow new meaning to some assembly is required. How about some details on how long it took to assemble, and any other details of how big it is.

  4. #4Mike L2013-02-06 05:22

    wow! is that the biggest made? how much horsepower?

  5. #5Gavin84w2013-02-06 05:35

    Great photos Zed, is this the first of the 11 ordered? Fantastic to see the common sense aproach to the assembly, looks like how we used to do it down here about 15 years ago, if that was in Australia you would not see the machine because of the 85 miles of bunting and bolards that would be around the area and you would have to heli drop the guys in because you would not be able to have a light vehicle within 3 miles of it and the isolator would probably be snapped off from the weight of locks on it!! No, this is not the biggest, Cat have 1 bigger they released at Minexpo last year, the machine shown here will swing 90 ton give or take a few and the next model up will swing 120 ton per pass.

  6. #6JimBruce422013-02-06 12:00

    11 6090's? :-O That's moving some dirt. Whereabouts is it?

  7. #7Dozerboy2013-02-06 12:10

    What a beast...

  8. #8Gavin84w2013-02-06 17:55

    It,s in Indonesia

  9. #9Dickjr.2013-02-06 23:28

    Is this a product that CAT has bought out or is it a full design built CAT?

  10. #10RayF2013-02-06 23:56

    I think its an O & K painted yellow. Cat recently took over the company. They have been trying for years to break into the heavy digger market without a lot of success. O&K are/were a very well regarded digger so its likely a good move for Cat as long as they keep the design.

  11. #11Zed2013-02-07 01:07

    It is in Central Borneo (Kalimantan) , Indonesia. good quality coking coal country... If you get on google earth and look at the island of Borneo, put your finger in the middle of it and thats pretty much where we are. It took 5 weeks to build, 980 tonne, 4500 total Hp, and has 47 Cube bucket. 3 pass load 830's all day long... Gav,, yes this is first of 11, next one due soon, depending on the Barito river. Too low, Tugs cannot move, too high, they cant get under the bridge... Very logistically challenging this place, all the big stuff has to come from the coast up around 500km's of river system. And yes it is soooo nice to not have all the over the top safety crap. We still have a very strong safety culture here, but still very much a common sense approach and we rely on the individual to be responsible for everybody's safety, not miles of paperwork.

  12. #12Zed2013-02-07 01:10

    a few more

  13. #13JDOFMEMI2013-02-08 01:10

    What a refreshing concept. The idea that skill and personal responsibility are the key ingredients of safety is lost here. The prevailing notion enforced by the regulators that having the right paperwork makes the job safe is one of the most dangerous things in the business, if you ask me. Thanks for the great pictures.

  14. #14KWD2013-02-12 21:59

    Its a O&K cat bought then recently, had to buy into the market

  15. #15Gavin84w2013-02-13 02:47

    I don,t think they "had to buy into the market" they had been there before and had announced plans to develop a new line prior to the Bucyrus acquisition. The Bucyrus purchase got them a shovel line so they shelved there own plans. Bucyrus milked the O & K line like a dairy and plowed $0 back into them while the other big 3 went ahead with upgrades and left the O & K line behind. You will see there has already been significant developments with the 6030B & 6120B announced and the new model 6020B to debut in April at Bauma.

  16. #16Zed2013-02-15 07:59

    We took her for a walk today...

  17. #17.RC.2013-02-15 20:21

    Excellent pictures... Does this mean big competition for AU coal mining as other mines overseas come online? Had to LOL at the post by Gavin on safety requirements if this was being done in Au....

  18. #1861BG2013-02-15 21:47

    They sure did buy into this market. This IS NOT new for Caterpillar Inc. They have tried to be competitive in the large EX field & they could not compete in the real world outside of the Cat lover die hards so they bought a proven product, they have done this for literally decades. The way I was told this deal went down was they had Bucyrus buy the Terex/O&K line then they bought the whole deal. Thats why Bucyrus never put any money into the Terex/O&K line, why would they? knowing that it would be Re-engineered by Caterpillar anyway. Bucyrus concentrated their money & talent on their brand name rope shovel & drill lines. One huge deal was easier & drew less government scrutiny then two big deals. As I have stated, buying into a market is nothing new for them.

  19. #19SocalHDR2013-02-16 15:06

    We have one of those at our mine in corona California it was amazing to watch them build it on site what a beast that thing is compared to our demag lol

  20. #20John H2013-02-16 17:53

    nice machine!! looks like its up just in time because the big EX in the background in the last pic has a problem

  21. #21Sprengstoff2013-02-16 18:34

    So, how long does this take to assemble?

  22. #22SocalHDR2013-02-16 18:39

    If I remember right I think it was 6 weeks from the day the parts arrived to start up don't hold me to the time line

  23. #23JimBruce422013-02-16 20:48

    Nah, that's just a Komatsu in it's natural habitat.... with a mechanics truck :drinkup

  24. #24nextdoor2013-02-16 21:37

    Gday Zed nice pics! Just by chance there wouldnt be a bloke there in his early sixties called Gary Cooper would there?

  25. #25Zed2013-02-17 07:57

    No mate, no one here by that name. The PC2000 in the background failed the boom cylinder, the bottom pin was seized the poor blokes were air arcing the pin out for 2 days, no thermal lances on site...

  26. #26alco2013-02-17 14:58

    Gav, I think you mean Terex milked the O&K line. Bucyrus didn't have it long enough to drag them down like you mentioned. I'm afraid you were told incorrect information. The deal was far more complicated by that, and Cat had no influence on the deal between Bucyrus and Terex Mining. This is supported by the fact that Cat was developing their own line of hydraulic shovels with the cooperation of another manufacturer when the opportunity arose for them to buy out Bucyrus. The other deal was promptly cancelled, and the Bucyrus acquisition was pursued. It would have been easier for Cat to buy out Terex Mining right off the bat, as smaller transactions would have been easier to get past regulators than one large transaction. Also, Bucyrus did pour money into the O&K line, more in fact than most people realize. I think you may be mistaken. I have no doubt you have a new shovel from O&K/Terex/Bucyrus/Cat, but I would put money on the fact that it's smaller than the RH400/6090. I think you are referring to the RH200 that All American Asphalt runs at it's gravel pit/quarry.

  27. #27SocalHDR2013-02-17 16:03

    Alco your right it is a rh200 they look the same in pictures but I know there not I guess I didn't see what size those ones are.

  28. #28alco2013-02-17 16:49

    Sorry, wasn't trying to nitpick. So do you work at the quarry with it? I have to say, the paint job is sure unique.

  29. #29SocalHDR2013-02-17 16:51

    I work there on the paving equipment not on the shovel my buddy dose work on it

  30. #30alco2013-02-17 20:54

    Excellent. Those 200s are great machines. We just retired ours, at 18 years old and 119,000 hours on her.

  31. #31SocalHDR2013-02-17 20:56

    Our demag has about 120,000

  32. #32Zed2013-02-19 02:43

    Alco you will love this!

  33. #33Zed2013-02-19 02:45

    Ahh false start... my 'insert image' is not playing the game. Got a pic of it loading a Komatsu HD 785 yesterday...

  34. #34Zed2013-02-19 07:52
  35. #35alco2013-02-20 07:51

    Single pass loading, I love it! Thanks Zed.

  36. #36Nige2013-02-20 08:44

    I'll bet the truck operator didn't ..........!!

  37. #37Gavin84w2013-02-21 04:34

    Operators would have to read there people magazines at lunch!!

  38. #38brianrh400e2013-02-21 04:39

    Great pics Zed!!! I have been searching for images of this unit on the net for months now and have come up empty handed.....until now! i assume that this is the first one of AKT's 6090's? How many are due this year?Are you based in Indo or just over there working on the assembly? Please post some more of it loading/digging.....I have always had a bit of a "soft spot" for this shovel!!

  39. #39Zed2013-02-22 04:04

    Yes mate this is the first one for AKT, the next one is on the river right now and should be at the port within a day or 2. I did hear some news that the river is too high so maybe there will be a delay there. Not sure when #017 will arrive it is still in the U.S. So 2nd half of the year maybe for #017 and # 018. And yes I am based in Indo for this job, a little birdy also told me there may be a 6090 electric coming our way soon, at a different mine.:drinkup

  40. #40Zed2013-02-22 04:07
  41. #41brianrh400e2013-02-22 20:13

    Cheers mate!! She is a beauty and a beast!! Just wanted to clarify if there were any diffferences between this one and the Moatize unit.Only thing I noticed is that the ladder cage has been lengthened and the catwalk and rail has been omitted from the front of cab like the Ravensworth unit.So how is the windscreen cleaned if there is no access in front of it? Will you be working on the assembly of the second shovel and subsequent units also?:drinkup

  42. #42JimBruce422013-02-22 22:08

    Great pics Zed. My front shovel knowledge isn't the best, but in the last photo it kind of looks like the last truck got a little closer than optimum.

  43. #43rare ss2013-02-23 20:25

    are they banned or didnt have access to one?? we used to drill out old oxy tips and use a second oxy set to fire them up, gets you outta the poo without spending a load on the proper setup

  44. #44alco2013-02-23 20:46

    Yeah Jim, he's a bit close. But I think the angle of the picture kind of exaggerates it. I'm jealous, I sure wish we could get a new one.

  45. #45brianrh400e2013-02-24 02:16

    Hi Zed Can you confirm that this first shovel is #14 with #15 in transit? Are units 16 and 17 the first ones to be built in the US or was 15 also built there? Thanks

  46. #46Zed2013-02-24 07:32

    yes mate this one is #014, the next one is #015, the first to be built at Milwaukee. Correction for the next ones, they are #017 and #019.

  47. #47brianrh400e2013-02-24 21:09

    So then #16 would be an electric drive? What about #18-where are these units destined for? So AKT have will have four units delivered this year/early 2014 alone? Could you message me via email? Cheers

  48. #48theironoracle2013-02-25 00:23

    it appears that terex and that cat are the same machine just different colors?......theironoracle

  49. #49big ben2013-02-25 01:28

    Yup Cat bought them out and it did not take long to change the paint colour and stick on new decals

  50. #50TRU.X2013-02-25 02:20

    who gets to operate it?

  51. #51Zed2013-02-27 17:18

    The local AKT operators are getting trained up on it as we speak. Some of them are doing a great job and getting great bucket fill. Even the learners are 3 pass loading with ease.

  52. #52MitchSA2013-03-05 08:55

    Awesome pics mate!

  53. #53glenlunberg2013-08-12 21:43

    Awesome pictures Zed and brianrh400e! I don't have much knowledge about operating these machines but I really admire them.

  54. #54miningman2014-08-04 16:38

    What happens at AKT ? You can find a serie of 6 videos showing the 6090FS "70" for sale ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr9aaQFKwuA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgTMUMvWSlE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmXaN98ki4s

  55. #55Nige2014-08-04 18:04

    Judging by the collapse of the parent company's share price about 1 month ago I would say it is heading down the tubes. http://www.mining.com/asia-resource-minerals-chairman-steps-down-after-investor-uprising-25335/ http://www.mining.com/asia-resource-minerals-shows-ceo-von-schirnding-the-door-33166/

  56. #56Desertwheeler2014-08-04 20:21

    I wish we had one of those at the mine I work at!

  57. #57Zed2014-08-05 00:43

    Yes, they are officially for sale and on the market. Plans are being made for disassembly and transport off site.

  58. #58miningman2014-08-05 06:26

    Find new owners for a ten 6090FS will not be easy task ! How many have actually been put together at AKT over the 11 units ordered ?

  59. #59Nige2014-08-05 09:11

    Despite where they are located I would imagine that there will be plenty of potential buyers for machines most of which have never been in the dirt yet. I suspect that they don't even belong to AKT but are leased in which case ownership will still be with Trakindo or maybe even Cat Leasing.

  60. #60alco2014-08-05 09:56

    Cat is apparently trying very hard to sell us a couple of the several they have sitting in Milwaukee.

  61. #61Zed2014-08-06 00:05

    Only 2 machines ever made it to AKT's site. #400014 and #400015. #400014 operated for about 2500 hours before it was parked up in August 2013. #400015 is still on the assembly pad. Alco, they would most likely be #400017 and #400018. #400019 went to work recently at Rav North. Got some pics of it somewhere I will put them on here if I can find 'em.

  62. #62Zed2014-08-06 00:15

    Not sure what happened to the 14 Liebherr 9800's they 'ordered'...

  63. #63Zed2014-08-06 23:16

    AKT ar holding an auction on 20th August. Buyer Beware is all I can say... http://gaauction.com/event/mining-construction-auction/

  64. #64fastalk2014-08-07 17:07

    I represent the auction company that is handling the auction for AKT. Feel free to message me if anyone has any questions. Best, Adam

  65. #65KWD2014-08-09 09:07

    Have Cat change anything, besides paint, of these O&K machines. ..?

  66. #66Zed2014-08-21 00:47

    Anyone hear how the Auction went? KWD, not much has changed from the RH400 to 6090 transformation. The new machines have the CAMP electronic system, but that was being developed before Cat bought them. There are 2 'clean sheet' diggers in the works right now but may be a while before they will be available.

  67. #67David4272014-08-21 07:13

    They bought Bucyrus too for 7.6bil to add shovels and drills to their product line up.

  68. #68David4272014-08-21 07:15

    You can tell just by the organization of your jobsite from the photos you guys have it together. Sadly a lot of contractors, large and small still don't. Great photos, thanks.

  69. #69David4272014-08-21 07:32

    Terex has found a very profitable market in buying up financially distressed or under performing well known construction brands and slapping their name on them. They then sit on them for a bit and spin them off to someone else at a profit. I was fairly sad to see Demag get swallow up by them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terex I own mostly CAT equipment due to their financing deals and the great support of my regional CAT dealer but I was never a fanboy, TBH I prefer Komatsu. I don't know if it was a regional marketing thing or national but when CAT switched over from their excavators (200 series) to Mitsubishi (EL and 300 series) they used to put American flag stickers on it and underneath the flag was written "Build America with American Products" obviously I wasn't the only person to complain about that because they still put the flags on the equipment but dropped the tag line.

  70. #70David4272014-08-21 07:39

    New shovel, new truck, new operators.