I have an old P&H TC 440 crane. The manual says that for a 100' boom, I have to do sequence 20' Base, 10', 20', 30' 20' Tip. I only have two good usable segments and guy lines. Why is is 10/20/30 and not 30/30 ? Manual says max 50' of add ons can be cantilevered, but that does not work either with 10/20/30, it would work with 20/30/10. Whats the reason for his sequence and would I be able to overcome the issue by placing all segments on temporary stands in the correct height so they could be attached to the base without any centilevering ?
Most conventionals require the short sections to couple to the heel, longer sections added go up . Dont do anything without your bike or equalizer pinned to the heel first ,then pin your 10 ' to the heel. Pin your remaining sections together separately from the crane as directed by your manual on some 4X4 dunnage lined up with the crane. Back into it ,pin the top connection between the 10 and the 20 and boom up until your bottom pins line up. At this point do not lift the tip off the ground as that will exceed the limits of cantilever.If it works with your pendants ,hook them to the Bike before you put the bottom boom pins in ,theres more slack to work with . Do not unpin the Bike until all boom pins and pendants are connected and cotter pins are in. I always use one of those tiny comalongs to pull the pendants together for connecting