Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Layton drag box pavers

mclean ยท 2017-03-25 22:11

Have an old Layton drag box paver, Im curious if I can modify the wheel locks to work with the pintle hitch rather than riding on the wheels? All our trucks have aluminum wheels and I'm not really wanting to put these rollers in them. Better to just get the plastic wheels? Seems pretty easy to rig up a hitch..

Replies3
  1. #1huckleberry2017-03-26 07:16

    it's been forever since I worked on a drag box. but it seems that if you hooked up to the pintle hitch only, that the paver wouldn't pull straight. pf you had one ext opened farther than the other than the rear of the screed would cut into the mat. it seems like the paver would move not having both sides secured to the truck.

  2. #2mclean2017-03-26 14:22

    It has the tire rollers on the hopper, so I figured if i could tighten the hopper against the tires it would stay square with the truck.. most of the weight hangs off the tail gate. Then it has a bunch of tires under the hopper. Reason im considering this is the wheel arms are all mangled, so either they need repair, or a new way of pulling needs to be implemented.. I've never used one of these, we got this to attempt to make 2x 30x40 parking pads for some Trucks. Also, to see if small paving projects are something we could bid on in the future with some practice.

  3. #3Bls repair2017-03-27 17:15

    We had one years ago that had forks that rear diff fit in to .It also had a large come along that you hooked to the front axle and tighten then you would pull it with the cable on the come along.