Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

LD 50 PRIME MOVER

bgdumas ยท 2024-02-28 12:22

Hello friends I have an 1989 LD50 I have used it for two years up to the end of 2023. Pulled hydrostat to clean and fix a leak. Refilled with about 16 to 18 quarts. Started up and moved it about 4 yards. It stopped running and I can't get it to run. Checked all the obvious, spark, gas. Replaced coil, new points, even Rebuilt carburetor. Starter is new. I'm an old school mechanic. But never worked on an updraft carburetor. Any tips before I sell this thing. Oh can you tow these things. I'm retty sure not but give a guy some ideas.

Replies6
  1. #1Welder Dave2024-03-01 17:28

    What engine? Bad fuel pump maybe? Most hydrostatic trans. can't be towed unless they have pins or something that can be pushed in to let them freewheel.

  2. #2bgdumas2024-03-01 19:43

    For what it's worth I had very similar situation Wouldn't start after hydrostat fixed. Turned out to be carburetor problem. Cleaned and overhauled carb. However now that it runs having a he'll of a time getting it to idle. My carb was a TSX 813. TRICKY SOB. Motor is a 4 cylinder continental engine. Watch that firing order also. Got alot of sweat in this beast.

  3. #3bgdumas2024-03-07 10:51

    Well I had some issues on my LD 50 that thanks to this site I was able to solve my running problem. I was able to move the monster at least a mile. Ran great but hydraulics are messed up. Forward back no problem, but power steering almost none, and no bucket movement at all. Now in short I acquired this baby and know for a fact this thing had all movement prior to pulling the hydrstat and fixing a leak. When this machine came into my life it had the loudest noice coming from the pump that sits in the very back in front of the radiator. The owner then felt it was no big deal. I had my doubts but at that time the previous owner had a bad hearing problem and he continued to beat this baby up. I had replaced all the old fluid with new. I never saw any contamination like metal or signs of any other junk. I have again drained all fluid that is clean. Should I consider the pump as the problem. 1989 LD50 WITH CONTINENTAL 4 CYL ENGINE.

  4. #4Welder Dave2024-03-07 14:58

    Might have to prime the pump if it worked before you took everything apart.

  5. #5bgdumas2024-03-07 16:10

    Hey Dave thanks for your responses. I'm pretty sure my motor is a continental. Fresh Rebuilt! So to prime this pump how is thet done?

  6. #6Welder Dave2024-03-07 22:24

    I'm not sure how to prime the hydrostat. On my skid steer they recommend turning the engine over several times for about 10 or 15 seconds without starting it. Of course you want to wait for the starter to cool off between the periods of turning the engine over. I think some machines have a fitting that can be loosened to make bleeding easier.