Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Leaking hydraulic from swingmotor

ttomsa ยท 2010-08-23 01:02

My old Fiat Allis (Simit SL9) excavator has a major leak from the swing motor and also from the solenoid? for the bucket (return) cylinder I wonder if any of You might have some advise before I start to try fixing it I assume ther might be difficult to get hold of right gasket for the swing and I wonder if there is any special precaaution before opening the solenoid, i gues all it is needed there is some hylomar or similar floating gasket Thanks Tom

Replies7
  1. #1ttomsa2010-08-23 05:21

    Here is some pictures of hydraulick leak Hi here is some pictures of the problem

  2. #2cps2010-08-23 19:08

    Hi there, sorry i know nothing about yolur machine, could it just be leaking from the hose flange o-rings??

  3. #3willie592010-08-23 21:23

    Those components that your referring to as solenoids are actually the pilot controls of the valve spools. When you work your joystick controls, you send low pressure oil (pilot pressure) through those lines with banjo fittings into the pilot chambers of the valve spools. This pressure shifts the valve spool to cause function operation. Hard to say because the pic is fuzzy (kinda like pics I take, lol), but if it's leaking where one of those pilot chambers is bolted down to valve chest, more than likely just an o-ring bad. You'd have to remove the banjo fitting bolt and simply remove the pilot chamber. You better replace the copper seal washers for the banjo bolt upon re-assembly, many times old ones tend to not seal well. If it turns out to be an old, hard o-ring causing your leak, you might consider replacing the other pilot chamber seals, or you'll be in there again in near future. Doing the chambers on top is fairly easy, the one's that are underneath, a little more messy. In that last pic, the round thing that's in the center of the pic, that looks like the rotary joint that sends oil to the drive motors. If it's leaking, you have to remove it and install new seals. But, when you get it apart, you may find rust damage at very top seal from years of water getting into top of rotary joint. Rotary joints designed like that one don't do a very good job of shedding rain water from the top. Ingress of water causes ugly things to happen to the steel the body is made from. Keep us posted about the repairs.

  4. #4ttomsa2010-08-27 14:43

    Hi and thanks for usefull answers (as always atecoequip) You might remember last year it was my fuel pump. The only fault with the pilots was a loose unbraco bolt it seems, I did not even have to open it. I found the info about the function of the rotary joint usefull also, it leaks on top but I wait to do anything. first I watch how much oil it uses now when pilot is tight. BUT.... I probably give in anyway. I blame nobody but myself. Because the engine has not many houers since last check, temepratur okay, oil pressure okay, so I did no physical check of engine oil level for a time, when I did no it was to low ... (much to low) When I stopped engine last time it had a strange sound to it and I connected this with low hydraulic oil level. However now it seems like the diesel engin has gone to warm and that the pistons as welded with the cylinder walls. I managed to start it and strange anough it run qiute fine fora litle while but stopped, started it later with bad noise and no power No it it want start either. The strong batterys dont manage to turn the engine wich have been operating very smooth before need total overhaul I guess and I dont think it is worth it for this old machine I would like to move it from where it is standing thoug. any miracel suggestion how to start and run this for some meters...

  5. #5willie592010-08-27 19:53

    Oh my, that doesn't sound good. If she's locked down tight to point starter won't even turn it, that's generally not a good thing. About the best you could hope for is to pull the injectors out, pour a bit of light oil on top of pistons through injector holes, remove starter, and see if engine will break loose by prying on ring gear teeth. If you can get it broke loose and rolling over, you might be able to get it started.

  6. #6tomsa2010-08-28 15:41

    Okay and thanks again I give it a try.... what confuses me thoug is the way this developed. From working with loading stones I stopped the digger since I found the sound strange and a bit worrysome. Come back a few days later, fixed the hydraulic, filled upp dieasel and hydraulic oil... and checked engine oil wich was "empty" (I found that the wire to warning lamp was detaced from signalsupplier at the block, thats my only excuse.. ) After adding engine oil I tried starting.... had some problems but it turned but didnt run good. But after a while it started almost normal. Me happy, turned round and filled up the bucket, turned to dump it in truck and there it stopped.... I had to hurry to move truck before it would be stuck too... Waited til stick had landed on ground and tried starting again, it did but sound from engine is bad, somethings knocking there also... It would not run for long and now I cant even get the starter to turn engine (Beside dobbele checking oil level regulary) There might be some lessons to learn here .... should I / could I have done anything to reduce the damage that have developed here? How much is probably needed to repair in engine Found parts now... full engine kit cost me 2000 usd pluss tax and all the work.... ( expensive oil this...) last year I used 2000usd for new dieselpump... Hope to get some tips about the repair job later

  7. #7willie592010-08-28 20:43

    Sorry to hear about your digger problems tomsa. From what your describing, you may have some ugly damage to the innards of your engine. You said you need to get it move, so your going to repair the engine. Well, since your taking engine out anyway, I think I would go ahead and remove it and tear it down before ordering rebuild kit. You may find your crankshaft is bad and will require replacement, that will up the repair price a bit. Also, does the engine have replaceable cylinder liners? If it doesn't, not good. I think I'd like to see what I have to repair before ordering parts. Hope you get a break soon, and I don't mean "machine broke" type of break.