Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Leaking steering box

earnies2 ยท 2020-06-01 14:11

I need some advice. I'm working on a link belt 86100 and the front steering box is leaking out of the front cover. It was also leaking from the line which i replaced already that was 80% of the leak. In the pictures it is leaking between the first casting and the body of the box. There is a o ring in there. If i take off the steering shaft and the 5 or 6 bolts holding the casting am i going to get in trouble?

Replies1
  1. #1crane operator2020-06-02 21:43

    It should just be a standard steering box from TRW or sheppard etc. Link belt just buys it from someone. I would dismount it from the crane and get it on a bench. Its probably a toss up on rebuilding it yourself or getting a reman. Rebuilding it yourself will be cheaper. It looks pretty rusty, so a reman might be easier.