Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Leaking Tilt Cylinder

sagepf ยท 2021-02-24 21:00

I just installed a complete seal kit on this tilt cylinder on a Hyster H150F. It's leaking a smaller amount from the threads in one spot (yellow arrow) where the cap screws into the end of the cylinder. It only leaks when the cylinder is going out (tilt forward). What could I do to fix this?

Replies8
  1. #1Delmer2021-02-24 23:23

    Leaking when it's not under pressure? interesting. Might have nicked the o ring on the outside of the gland on the threads going in. I think I'd give it a couple weeks to see if it gets better or worse. then you'll need another o ring is my guess. Was it leaking in the same place before you rebuilt it?

  2. #2MarshallPowerGen2021-02-25 00:43

    If you can unscrew it still installed on the machine, check the O-ring at the end, but can also add some Permatex pneumatic/hydraulic sealant to the gland nut threads and see if it helps seal up.

  3. #3sagepf2021-02-25 15:18

    Thanks for the reply Delmer! It doesn't leak when it's not under pressure or when pressure is in the opposite direction (tilting forward leaks/tilting back doesn't). Before rebuilding it was leaking where the rod goes through cap/gland (yellow arrow in the picture). I made sure to have plenty of hydraulic fluid on all the seals/orings when I reinstalled it but could've nicked one.

  4. #4sagepf2021-02-25 15:21

    Thanks for reply MarshallPowerGen! When I get a chance to get back to the machine I'll take a look at that oring again. I'll grab a tube of that sealant too.

  5. #5greg95042021-12-23 08:35

    Hello sagepf, I have the same machine. I need to rebuild the tilt cylinders. Just wondering if you ordered a kit for the seals? What was the part number? Thanks!

  6. #6sagepf2022-03-07 10:33

    Hi, sorry about the late reply I never saw your comment. As for the seal kit I just took it down to the local hydraulics shop and they were able to match up all the seals. Good luck!

  7. #7greg95042022-04-23 17:38

    Hey thanks! For some reason I didn't get your reply either. I did find a kit number: 652653 The tilt cylinders are 4" bore, 1.75" rod. The kit worked for only ONE of my cylinders, the other was different inside and I did the same thing as you and went to a local hydraulics place to get seals. They order from Hercules but I wasn't exactly sure what seals were what, so let them do it. I made a video for anyone else with a Hyster H150F, so they can watch me muddle through it. First time I've rebuilt a cylinder, went OK.

  8. #8Shimmy12022-04-23 17:53

    Please elaborate. Did they look up specific part numbers and cross them, or did they identify them based on measurements and experience? Could be the o-ring for the gland is not quite big enough?