Tanks with wornout threads, do you guys rebung, replace, recap or...??
Which part is wornout? Assuming the main parts are ok it’s generally not difficult to replace the bungs or any other part. Just depends on how competent the welder is doing the work. I’ve had all kinds of stuff repaired over the years with good results.
The threads on the filler neck are worn out. I ordered one of these to try out, I know they are spendy but if it works it is worth it so the DOT doesn't crawl up my ass. http://www.ebay.com/itm/292192363303
Yowza that’s spendy for sure!
If it really works, its cheaper than welding in a new bung.
I will definitely be using that 30 day money back guarantee if it doesn't work.
Here in the rust belt, aluminum tanks corrode around the clamp straps. There is a shop close by who specializes in fixing them. He shears strips of aluminum and welds them around the tank where the straps are. Works great.
You are correct that part is pricey. That is why I keep a couple of old tanks around for parts.
You can buy new bung & flange for $38 & weld them in but the cap will keep WASHDOT off our asses until then.
Those work real well, we use to take care of several grain trucks and two their KW's had those. Hell a locking fuel cap for a Freightliner is $250. By the time you remove the tank and clean it cut the other one out weld a new bung in your going to have more than that in it. New 120 gal tank $1000. Truck Shop
Thanks TS! You always have good real world experience.
The real world is greasing a rig and your at the front drive on a creeper and someone else is servicing a refer unit and spill about a quart of crank case oil on you. Truck Shop
0 Thankfully I have not had to look at a reefer unit in 20 years.
All we run are Carrier, No thermo toilets. The Carrier units are the best to service and repair, they finally pulled their head out of their *** about 15 years ago and started building good units. Truck Shop
0 I do remember Thermo Kings.. . Ugg. 12lbs of R-12. What are they using nowadays for refrigerant?
Huge blocks of ice-just like the good old days-134 Truck Shop
Funny. Too bad they tore down the ice house at the Pasco railyard.
Worked on the Thermal Queens years ago, despised the cramped built hard to deal with machines, Carrier was not much better in the late 80's early 90s then I guess someone had to step up and build a decent unit. The undermount units were the absolute worst.
Glad I've never touched a box in my stint as an on-road mechanic. All lowbeds and log trailers for this guy lol.
The cap works excellent. Well worth it even at $250 as it would take more than 2.5hrs to fix it any other way. I will buy more in the future.