Hey everyone, I have yet some more questions about getting behind some equipment. I went to pretty much every dirt business I could find to try and get a job as an operator with no luck. Most told me no since I have no experience, the rest wanted to pay me $10 an hour which I can't do. So I took a job driving a dump truck for a local dirt contractor. Unfortunately he only delivers dirt, he does have equipment but most of the Mexicans run it except the big dozers and trackhoes. I really enjoy the job but going to these job sites and seeing them guys running that big equipment is making the itch even worse. So I did a little research and found out about the union. It's local 406 if anyone has info on it. I called the training center which is about 250 miles from me and they said class meets twice a month I think she said. Would this be a good idea to get my foot in the door? One thing that concerns me is 406 covers LA, MS and ARK I believe. Does that usually mean you have to travel for work? I'm just not willing to leave my family for weeks at a time. Any info would be great, thanks.
Now that you've sort of gotten your foot in the door by driving truck, is the contractor you're working for the only one in the area? It might pay to look around for some weekend work for a smaller contractor, they're more apt to move you around on other equipment. Just an idea. . .
Unless you are union member I don`t believe they are going to let you on anything. That is for the apprentiship program I`m pretty sure. Put in your application and try to get into the next class.
Hello Grizzly Maybe you read the thread "where are the mechinics" If you worked as a mechinics helper and really apply yourself it would lend credibility to you and boost confidence with employers. Work part-time or full-time with the understanding that you desire training in shifting dirt. For instance if it was a truck repair shop with several employees and they had no dirt.....they would have plenty of brother in law kissing their arse. As a helper you wouldn't need much of...or any tools. Find out who's changing all the clutches on the ten wheelers in your area. Tell them you would love to learn the basics and do pm's be a roustabout park truck pull them in check lite change tarps mount wheels on trucks chase parts. Tell them you would luv to help pull and stab transmissions ....and I'm sure he'll call Bill.... and tell him you're a "hand an a goodn' and bil will teach you to play in the dirt. Hope this helps, Fixo
Grizz, you need to understand that almost every person that walks through a contractors door looking for a job is wanting to be an operator, many have no experience but figure it's easy just pullin' levers. Your best bet is to either get in with the union apprenticeship or walk into a contractor and state that eventually you'd like to operate but would be fine starting out as a laborer and helping where needed. At the end of the day you can drop the shovel and they may put you on a backfill machine, compactor, or have you clean up with a backhoe. The small stuff like that adds up and eventually you will be given more responsibility you you've proven you are the right guy. Good operators are hard to find but self proclaimed operators are a dime a dozen.
that's spot on Deeretracks!!! I have saw this very often over the years fixing things these so called operators have tore off or just plain didn't know any better!!! and you are right everyone thinks they should start at the seat of the biggest excavator, so NOT going to happen!! Grizz just think bout this for a split second, if a contractor spends 1/2 million dollars on a piece of equipment do you really think they are going to let just anyone who walks in off the street & says I want to run that get on it & TRY to operate it??? just sayin!! Grizz my suggestion would be get into the union apprenticeship program to get you some seat time, get around some equipment. if you get in the union yes you will prolly have to travel for work unless you can get a job with a local union shop.. just remember that the only person that starts at the top is a ditch digger!! ( and that's with a shovel)
Yea, those are all good suggestions, I was thinking of telling my boss that I'll work for free on the weekends if I can get some seat time. As far as doing part time work for someone, I don't think that's possible as I work Monday-Saturday 6am-6pm, not much room for another job. Maybe I'll think about the union, just not sure about traveling to work, I tried OTR and didn't like being away from family. I suppose this is something I should've thought about before getting married as I can't afford to make $300 a week as a laborer. But I guess if I never get on a piece of equipment I can still be part of the dirt industry. But I'm only 26 who knows what will happen.
Now that will show your employer how much you want to be an operator. No it's not the free labor but the willingness to give your time to learn, that says a lot. I have had many "operators" go through the doors who talked a good game but couldn't hit the ground with a blade. Learning how to operate a machine is one thing. Learning how that machine is tasked and it's role to complete a job is another. Both are mutually important and understanding both is what makes a good operator - smooth, efficient use of the machine to complete the project on time and on budget. Watch the stages of the jobs and the types of equipment that are used, ask questions. A shovel should be the first piece of dirt moving equipment any operator should start out with. It's not necessarily about "doing your time" but rather learning how to efficiently move dirt with your mind, hands and a tool - that's the same principle that carries over to the equipment.
Well me and my wife talked about it and have agreed that I might should consider a union apprenticeship. The lady I talked to said that I'll go to school and wait to be called for work. And that brings a few concerns to me. I know y'all can't tell me what would happen but would I work until the job is done then be laid off? Is there a way I can find union shops in my area? And if it involved traveling for work, is it like being an OTR trucker? Gone for a week and home on weekends? Just wondering because that will play a major role in my decision, just don't know how traveling for work goes.
Our local community college offers classes for heavy equipment operation. Every contractor that I know will allow time off for classes. What you want to do can be done. The good thing is you can begin to understand the responsibility of operational duties which will help you relate to your ambitions.
It sounds like you've got steady work with your current job. It takes years to rise to the top of the pay scale as an operator. I'm not telling you to stay where you are, but it's important to be objective. My personal opinion is that there would have to be significant reward- either financial or personal- in order to justify risking the jump from steady work to uncertain earning potential.
Did you also ask about how many they plan on for the upcoming class? I don`t know how they do it in your area, but the number of apprentices they will accept will be detrmined by work volume. Be aware also they used to take the highest score on the entrance test. We had 30 in our group. So you would think the top 30 scoress got in, wrong. They made 3 lists. White, minority, female. First 3 slots were top scores from each list and so on till they got to the limit. So even if the top minority or female would have never been accepted based on score, they walked right in. A far as travel goes, the outfit they get you hooked up with is sort of out of their control. If they have a job and you fit what they need, either tke it or turn it down. Travel time isn`t their determining factor. Most all first year apprentices will get sent as an oiler on a crane or something that doesn`t require experience or able to hurt youself or anybody else, or the machine.
Are you sitting down?
At the moment yes.
Your union hall knows who the union contractors are. If they are taking students for class they must be expecting a work increase in the future. Union contractors like any other business hire and reduce employees based on workload. A contractor like anyone else also prefurrs to work close to home when ever possible. Take the school offer, a job will come along, and don't be a bonehead about what they want you to run. I've seen more that one operator that was "better" than being a forklift operator sitting home when times got slow, while a more humble operator sat in a heated cab on a forklift and was still on the payroll when work pisked up again. School time will include seat time, that's all good learning and experiance that will always be with you, no matter what you do. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.
Well I suppose I'll call the hall and ask. I just don't know if they can tell me that. It's a IUOE union but they represent heavy equipment operators, crane operators, casino workers, shipbuilders and a bunch of other stuff which seemed weird to me. I did call the training center and she said they have a class starting in February, just don't know if that's enough time to think about it. I don't think they'd even accept me though with my work history from this year. I tried to get a dump truck job as soon as I got my cdl but no one would hire me. So I did OTR from March-June and just hated being away from family like that so I took the first local job I could find which was a septic hauling job. Worked there from June-September and now I'm at my current dump Truckin job. So that work history doesn't make me look too grand. I also need to research how union work goes, that'd suck to work for a month then get laid off. I don't know it'll all work out.
There is risk with any reward. Ultimately it will be what you do if you work or not. Good hands are always working, or if there employer is slow, they quickly get picked up by another employer. One of the great thinga about a union is that good operators get to know each other and chances are when one company is slow another is extra busy. Chances are you will be making 1.5 times the money you are now. Save the extra, draw unemployment in the slow times, and live well. But most spend every dime and cry when they have a slow few weeks.
Still going over career options and thinking of the heavy equipment mechanic route. There's an opening for service tech at my local cat dealer. Do they ever hire anyone without experience?
Suppose for washing machines, sweeping the floor, counting bolts and the like.
Yeah I don't think I'd enjoy busy work. But I believe I've found my answer, the railroad. Kcs main terminal is by my house and there's an opening for section laborer and in told you use all sorts of machines. Heard they really like vets and CDL holders so got 2 things going for me.
I finally got some experience operating equipment, may have only been 3 days worth but I've never had so much fun working. My truck broke down this week and after convincing my boss I got behind a Cat 950H loader making burms on the yard. Unfortunately my truck is almost repaired, haha. I offered to work for him on weekends for free in exchange for training and he said "no you ain't gotta work for free" so I don't if that meant he planned on training me or not.
I cann't speek for your boss but if one of my new hires said " I will work for free if you will teach me" would definatly make my ears perk up. Someone that wants to learn that bad is at least worth giving a chance.
Im sort of in the same boat. Ive been a mechanic for over 10 years and I want to operate. My advise would be to just put in as many apps as you can and follow up on all of them. Offer to start as a laborer or just say you want to start off on a skid steer or backhoe cleaning up and doing small stuff. Backhoes are my personal favorite so honestly that is the most rewarding for me. But as mentioned, alot of guys want to start on the biggest and baddest of equipment and its just not gonna happen. I deal with the tease as well, I work for Caterpillar at the testing grounds in Green Valley, AZ and see so many cool pieces of equipment everyday. Blades, dozers, excavators and shovels, and four Cat backhoes I just want to operate all day. But Im unfortunately binded to turning wrenches. Keep the drive alive to do what you want to do, I know I am.
Still on the hunt and I've actually found something. A company called benchmark industries. They do work for the coal mine. From what I've been told, the North American Coal company hires there people from them. The lady there told me they are taking applications, no experience necessary, and starting pay is $16 an hour. Dream job. However, there's always a catch. I'd have to drive about 50 miles one way. So I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it. Part of me says, "suck it up, it's a great job that could lead to a 25+ an hour coal job." The other part of me says that's too long of a commute, which maybe is my laziness talking not sure. Your thoughts?
My father when the business was allot bigger and he had more toys to play in the sand box with would tell employees if they want to.learn to operate come over sat and sunday and start practicing with the machine. He would take the time if they wanted to.put in the time to teach them how to work the machine. He would even go through the trouble of putting random pipes in the ground and teach the guys how to dig w/out breaking them because his motto was always even if it aint marked doesn't mean whats down there cant kill you. Im hoping one day I.will have the opportunity to do the same.
Yair . . . . grizzlycan2011 . You are the one to make the call . . . depends a lot on what you're driving, maybe a Prius or a Volt okay a F350 not so much? For such situations I always had a half ton pickup with an enclosed back (we call them canopys) and with my swag and a metho stove I'd camp out on or close by the job . . . just come home on weekends and days off. Cheers.
Anyone know about working at a recycling facility? There's a job opening for an equipment operator using mobile shear/excavator, front loader and other equipment. $15 an hour plus benefits. It's not dirt work but plan on applying. It's for progress rail services. Just wondering if anyone knew what the work is like at a recycling facility.
Well got called in for an interview at Progress Rail as an equipment operator, operating trackhoe with shears and front loaders. Looks like a fulfilling career. Starting pay $16 an hour plus real good benefits. Interviewed and hired.
congrats on the job!!! progress rail is a big company with several yards some that even rebuild rail cars
But I miss sweeping bolts and cleaning floors! But I got yelled at alot for making a huge mess. dragging Everything out in the shop. put it all back where you found it Fixou812 (like I can remember where I found all that stuff) screw the mess everything's fixed it's one AM I'm going home.
Well that job at progress rail fell through. Great thing though, got a better job as an entry level operator at a coal mine.
Grizzlycan2011; Sounds like you are on the right track, I've been and operating equipment and supervising operators for over 40 years, and the best people are the ones that really want it. (Sounds like you do). I have had guys come to me and ask if they can practice at lunch time and after work, I have always tried to help them out, and these are the ones that usually make the best operators in the long run. Sometimes the best learning experience is listening to the older guys tell stories of how they accomplished a certain task or overcome a certain obstacle. Operators are always telling some kind of story or tale during lunch time or after work. (Pay attention). The one thing I have always told my people, both the experienced and new guys is, learn something everyday. Learning how to do something new. or a new technique from someone. is very important, but sometimes it is even more important to learn how NOT to do something. Good luck with your job and never stop learning.
Good luck with the coal job. Mining is a good way to get on some large machinery. Even if they have you tending pumps or something, they typically give you a small loader to run around on. I worked around the coal in southeast Ohio for a while, I really enjoyed it. I was there as an inspector though but I had some opportunities to get on the big iron (french benefits of the job, lol). I had an apprenticeship here in our local and I was there for about a year. I got in in 2008 when everything was going down the drain for the economy. I wound up leaving to go back to a tree service where I previously worked because there just wasn't enough work to go around. As an apprentice here you aren't allowed to refuse a job, and they can send you anywhere in the hall's territory, for me was about Sandusky to the PA line and south to Akron, not terrible but I had an F-250 with a 460 in it at the time so...I spent a lot of time at the training center and I was out on several jobs over the time I was there. All of it was short term work, a week here, a week there, fill in a day because somebody called off, etc. The downside for me is you're always with a new crew, trying to work around callouts for another employer. Some jobs I stood around all day, others I got to operate or at least help with mechanic work. I would definitely recommend trying to get hired on by a company and coming into the union on a permit rather than as an apprentice, although the apprentice training is excellent and they'll give you about any opportunity to get on something that you want. The only things I never had opportunity to run are graders and the tower crane. One downside is that you'll find yourself bumped out of a lot of certification classes by journeymen who have priority over that. Apprentices here have priority over permit though; having said that if you're working for somebody they will probably sponsor trainings if they're large enough to support that. Dirtfan, whereabouts are you?
Hey Grizz, new to the forum here but wanted to tell you I went through the same situation this past year. I was timid on Union work because of the traveling and being laid off, and it was pretty hard to get in. But this last year our hall ran out of operators and the local B.A. (business agent) told me to come on up and fill out some paper work, pay $15 bucks, and i can work on a permit. Almost the BEST decision i have ever made. I was fortunate enough to get hired by a local company, the furthest ive had to drive so far is 1.5 hrs but the benefits for my wife and 14mo. old and the pay is worth it. Were being smart and killing debt so when work is slow, it doesnt hurt so much. Feast or famine. The traveling is a huge factor, but you never know where jobs will pop up. Could be 10 min. away. Take the good with the not so desireable. Make sure you DEFINATELY keep good communication with ur family in deciding what to do and/if you do end up traveling. This line of work can "take over" if you let it. Be humble. When they ask: "what you can run"-..."a shovel" is alway a good reply for someone new. GregD1/old-iron-habit are right, be ready to do whatever job any contractor asks you to do and dont complain. Hand work teaches you to be a better operator, helps u appreciate a machine as well haha. The volunteer work is a good idea with your current employer, one thing he/she has to think about is, if they switch u to operating , they now have to fill a truck seat. But if you have a CDL and eventually you are a good operator, that makes you valuable. Hope all works out and yea, let us know what happens this season
Welcome to the Forums DirtBrown!:drinkup
Thanks!