Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Let’s jump on that sewer job bandwagon!!

Burnout ยท 2009-07-12 12:22

So I see all these sewer job pics.... and we even have an intersection so... I figured what the hey and I convinced the boss to start a sewer job So we're working on a sanitary trunk line, started as a 60" and now is stepping down to a 48". Our average depth has been around 20-25ft and with 3" of rain this week its getting interesting for backfill. As Krissy would say lets say Harro to the equipment on site. And first person to mention my tracks are too lose on the 973 can eat that comment. Yeah we know, no they won't tighten them. The undercarriage is shot so they have decided to leave the chain loose .

Replies26
  1. #1Burnout2009-07-12 12:27

    So we have more iron.... a 450 Hitachi... well actually 2 of them. The 385 digging mainline naturally... a 330 for a side hoe. A 450 komatsu for a loader which was just switched out for a 966F, a 14G for fun and a 627B...mmmmm sexy.

  2. #2Burnout2009-07-12 12:34

    Some jobsite pics for you guys, our old Earthworks service truck, the old school float we still have for our old driver delivering a present. And the 450 carrying some waterline.

  3. #3JimBruce422009-07-12 12:36

    Nice pics as always burnout. Looks like the 385's had a few cylinders replaced? I won't comment on the tracks any more than to ask are they planning to rebuild your undercarriage one of these days, (soon I hope)?

  4. #4Burnout2009-07-12 12:41

    So our present... the 966F. Nobody likes Komatsu around here. And our 710G pulling wheel loader duty. The other 450 Hitachi and the float bringing me the widepad D87 we got last year. Whoops... scratch 450 and substitute pilot truck for float bringing D87

  5. #5Burnout2009-07-12 12:47

    Ok.. the OTHER 450 Hitachi. So why a D87P dozer? Well we have 2 973's on site and well we have been having issues with wet ground. Which kind of leads to these pictures.

  6. #6Burnout2009-07-12 12:57

    Jim... yeah the 385 has had some cylinder issues. They all have around here. Its on its 3rd season of work and not one original cylinder left on the beast. My tracks are another issue. Since its a somewhat slow season they are only using the older iron. I actually have the only 973C out of storage right now. I don't want an A. The shop manager knows the UC is toast on this machine but they are limping time out of it since this machine is now out of warranty. So when it goes in it's probably getting a bucket extension welded on, new UC from top to bottom and hopefully rebuilt drive motors. More front end pics of the actual digging crew. I rarely get up to see them.

  7. #7Burnout2009-07-12 13:16

    Oopps... almost finished. I forgot the videos, because whats a pic post without videos right? Don't worry my friends.... no manly strut's here. The 627 Cam..... How not to operate a scraper. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8U_6eJzcqw Another outside view of the 973. Working down in the ditch can you tell the material is a little wet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz8sq3a7d-4 and Hoe Packing with our 312C because the backhoe operator was busy playing wheel loader. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsPqzSJAVfU

  8. #8ZAXIS2009-07-12 15:42

    Great pics Burnout--Its nice to see SOMEONE laying some sewer.

  9. #99420pullpan2009-07-12 15:53

    how is the 973 treating ya

  10. #10JimBruce422009-07-12 17:23

    bet its a pain to backfill around those existing utilities and still get compaction... especially in mud:ban

  11. #11oakland2009-07-12 18:37

    nice pics burnout i like that pic of the volvo ADT! :drinkup:notworthy

  12. #12Burnout2009-07-12 20:19

    Existing utilities? lol were rippin out anything in our way its the sureway.

  13. #13ZAXIS2009-07-12 20:42

    I agree, its dang hard to compact mud. :exactly

  14. #14CM19952009-07-12 21:11

    Burnout, it's good to see you back at Sureway. It seems that backfilling mainline with a 973 is your bread and butter. Great pics!:thumbsup

  15. #15ZAXIS2009-07-12 21:14

    Burnout, now I know how the "big boys" lay sewer main. Thanks for sharing the pics.

  16. #16ZAXIS2009-07-12 21:18

    By the way Burnout, Does Cat make an LGP version of the size loader you operate?? Looks like a little more flotation would help.

  17. #179420pullpan2009-07-12 23:33

    here are a 963 lgp never seen 973 lgp

  18. #18ZAXIS2009-07-13 19:14

    Thats what im talkin about !! Thanks for the reply.

  19. #19xcavate2009-07-13 22:30

    Do you guys open cut everything or do you ever use a trench box? I think Id use a trench box to install a 60" pipe and move 1/4 as much dirt. The only thing with a box is if there is a bunch of utilities it becomes a pain but you dont have much.

  20. #20Burnout2009-07-13 22:58

    ZAXIS.... that is the LGP Version of the 973. All our track loaders are LGP's. They don't get super wide pads like the smaller loaders do. As for compacting mud... it actually does work. I was talking with the dirt tester today. Right now my dirt is at 24.6% moisture and I am getting between 100.2 and 102.4% compaction from my Dynapac. My optimum moisture is 20% and compaction is around 95%. CM1995, Yeah this does seem to be my bread and butter. I am happy once again and I am definately realizing this should be my permanent position. I like the problem solving, the working alone and the nice ride. Moisture sucks though. Xcavate.... Yes we open cut everything. Pulling a trenchbox takes too much time and it makes uniform backfill impossible. The hole you see the main hoe digging is the sanitary sewer main for most of the town. As I backfill it I also make the hole wider. I only backfill until it's about 6' deep and around 35ft wide. When we are done with the sanitary sewer we are coming back through with the water and the storm sewer. The water will be on the left side of the ditch, the storm on the right side. So now instead of a 10ft cut for both of them, its a 4ft cut and we can breeze through and bury them both in one shot. And we then have a road built on solid ground with uniform density and a good base.

  21. #21Vantage_TeS2009-07-14 18:32

    Hey Alex I'm not 100% on this but I think your tracks are a little loose

  22. #22Burnout2009-07-14 21:02

    Hey.... watch it. I'll call your office and have them go out and buy you that Hy-Trac hoe we saw in that oilfield yard. You know.... the one that turns over slow, because thats the most serious problem it has.

  23. #23oriden2009-07-15 01:07

    great to see the sureway of doing things, not sure about the guys out this way anymore lol

  24. #249420pullpan2009-07-22 20:43

    here is another good lgp machine

  25. #25bigcatpip2009-07-27 15:34

    hey burnout how much pipe are you guys puttin a day

  26. #26Burnout2009-07-27 21:42

    What kind of pipe and single, double or triple ditch? lol Doing triple ditch of water, storm and sanitary we can average 110-140m each per day. Doing double ditch you can kill about 200+ meters per day, and last week we dropped in 1400 meters of watermain and the main hoe stopped digging at 3. Took a 330 and 450 to lay and sand pipe, but we got the entire stretch done before 5pm.