Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Letourneau scrapers

Welder Dave · 2021-06-10 19:25

Imagine driving a 5000 HP 200' long 3 section scraper. Fills 360 tons in 80 seconds. Almost unbelievable. Have to scroll down a bit in the link. https://books.google.ca/books?id=4k...hUKEwiak-CQl47xAhUS6p4KHT8IA0gQ6AEwGnoECC0QAw

Replies12
  1. #1Tugger22021-06-10 23:36

    Imagine being a test operator,looks like a cool surprise every day around there.

  2. #2Welder Dave2021-06-11 00:43

    My dads dream job was selling light bulbs in Vegas. Selling ear plugs to Letourneau would be right up there.

  3. #3mowingman2021-06-11 11:49

    Back in 1978, I worked on a project in Longview, Tx. Went right by the plant, and one of their testing sites every day. Saw many of the big loaders working, or being assembled in the yard. They were monsters. They also had big log loaders under construction there, too. Jeff

  4. #4d9gdon2021-06-11 13:13

    I don't know how they didn't stick it in the mud or sand every day in east Texas.

  5. #5mowingman2021-06-11 16:32

    Good point. Their test area was on the south side of the interstate, just on the west side of Longview and east of the river. Jeff

  6. #6Welder Dave2021-06-11 16:37

    10'-2" dia. tires 5' wide and 72 ply designed by Letrourneau. I know there is a Bigfoot monster truck with 10' tires but I'd like to see one with 10' tall tires 5' wide! 4trizjfc8w251.jpg (565×410) (redd.it)

  7. #7Welder Dave2021-06-11 17:20

    Curious what Noise Reduction Rating of ear protection you need for 8 screaming Detroits putting out 5080 HP?

  8. #8Tones2021-06-11 17:51

    WHAT

  9. #9d9gdon2021-06-12 08:14

    Pretty sure he robbed those tires off the Letournea built Arctic train rig, according to the story I read. This one:

  10. #10Welder Dave2021-06-12 13:03

    Undoubtedly.

  11. #1159 North2021-06-12 16:04

    This is a good picture of the unit I don't recall seeing before. The machine and some trailers still exists , altho missing some parts, and is next to the Steese Hwy a few miles north of Fairbanks. Has been there a number of years. Quite a bit of information is available about it. The book Eighteen Wheels North to Alaska has some good info. I saw it there at the end of May. Working from memory, I seem to recall seeing pictures of some other Machines LeTourneau built that used a similar, or, this type of tire? Hopefully someone has more info.

  12. #12Welder Dave2021-06-12 16:55

    I think the tires were used on a lot of different Letourneau machines. Letourneau designed them so it makes sense.