Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

lets talk looks

Catsparky1 · 2024-01-23 21:51

So we all have machines we just like the look of . Other than my affinity for cat equipment I always liked the look of dresser equipment . Ford wheel loaders always looked cool . 80s case backhoes had a cool look . What equipment do you like just by the look ?

Replies48
  1. #1Shimmy12024-01-23 22:55

    D-series Cat excavators. 324, 326, 330 in particular.

  2. #28V712024-01-24 00:25

    Wabco scrapers 222G&H 333F&FT 111’s IH 412B scrapers HD 16,21,&41 dozers and Fiat FD30

  3. #3Catsparky12024-01-24 00:51

    FD 30s did look sweet Waco 111s were cool with that center cab . And yes D series were cool . the new ones are yet to grow on me . Fait crawler loders looked kinda mean too .

  4. #4Coaldust2024-01-24 01:38

    Caterpillar Challenger ag tractors looked cool. Especially, the C models. I think most wheeled skidders look awesome. And the old FMC track skidders like the 220c.

  5. #5Welder Dave2024-01-24 01:48

    Last year going to see some old heavy equipment from Henuset Pipelines and a collector of vintage machines. Standout's were the Henuset Polarbear trencher with a 16V-149 Detroit and a pair of Warner & Swasey H1900 103 ton excavators without the sheet metal coverings (much easier to service and replace hoses). One of them had elevated tracks that lifted the cab about 10' high. They were originally used for the Alaska pipeline. There was also a heavy pipe support system that could be installed to lift the machine up another 10' for river crossings. They used 2 8V-71 engines of 308 HP each and had 8 traction motors. Drive sprockets on each end of the track frames with 2 motors per corner and automatic hyd. track tensioning. I think they used D9 undercarriage the same as the 158 ton Polarbear trencher. There was also the 7th of 7 and the only running Raygo Giant grader that also had 2 8V-71's. There's some pics. and video's of them online. A lot of other really interesting old machines as well. I spent over 2 hours looking at all the equipment. There was a 245 Cat excavator on a platform with posts on the 4 corners so it could be lifted up for river crossings as well. An Eimco overshot loader that dumped over the operator behind the machine. Too much stuff to list or even remember. I need to go back there. A member from here who doesn't post often invited me. It was fantastic! The plan is to get all the machines running and have a working museum. Too cool!!!

  6. #6terex herder2024-01-24 08:09

    Wabco 111 I didn't think to long on style, but a dash with a factory Jesus bar and a toggle switch instead of a steering wheel was cool. I liked the Euclid trucks with the styled hood.

  7. #7skyking12024-01-24 08:55

    Modern equipment, the Link Belt excavators and log shovels are sharp with that paint scheme.

  8. #8grandpa2024-01-24 11:54

    Well , I don't look the best anymore, but I can still get the Job Done!!!

  9. #9aighead2024-01-24 12:34

    I don't know specific machines or brands or any of that but I like the look of any heavy equipment. They aren't organized but I have a habit of taking pictures of almost any I see, but much less so if it's local. When I go on vacation I try to take a picture of piece of equipment I can.

  10. #10Pops522024-01-24 14:23

    D-7Gs and D-9Hs

  11. #11ahart2024-01-24 19:33

    I always liked the looks of a 5230 Cat shovel, still had 3 of them on the first coal job I was on. Like the looks of a Cat 854G also, 992 loader with a D11 blade fitted in place of the bucket. Had 4 of those between 2 different power houses I frequented.

  12. #12MG842024-01-24 19:43

    I've always liked the looks of the JD 450C/550C dozers with the curved black ROPS. Also if we want to include vocational trucks, I like the '73-90 Chevy C60/65/70 and the '80-94 Ford F600/700/800

  13. #13Truck Shop2024-01-24 19:55
  14. #14Truck Shop2024-01-24 19:57

    That photo courtesy of camptramp.

  15. #15Tyler d4c2024-01-24 20:20

    The moment I drag the last piece home for the winter and it's time to just go work the day job.

  16. #16Truck Shop2024-01-24 22:09

    Lockheed Draggin Wagon. How's this for looks. *

  17. #17Welder Dave2024-01-24 22:11

    Looks like the D6's on wheels. Guessing it uses individual brakes for each side to turn?

  18. #18Tyler d4c2024-01-24 22:19
  19. #19Welder Dave2024-01-24 22:32

    Looks like it articulates with the rear half attached.

  20. #20JaredV2024-01-24 22:37

    Always liked the looks of most of the friction and cable cranes and shovels of the '40s on up. Link-Belt, Bucyrus Erie, Northwest with the orange sides and black rounded roof. Unit, very trim and compact looking. Almost any dozer/crawler that has a hood wider in the front than the back just says power. Some of the old 2wd Dynahoes looked like muscle.

  21. #21Tyler d4c2024-01-24 22:44

    Any thing that 1 makes money 2 has good parts and support available 3 has a warm or cooled cab that's quiet. 4 that I'm getting payed to repair. Looks good to me

  22. #22Catsparky12024-01-25 00:29

    Euclid B-70 ? Terex ts24b load runner ?

  23. #23Mike L2024-01-25 17:54
  24. #24CM19952024-01-25 19:42

    For me it has to be a BBX series 953C trackloader. Room for your best buddy to ride along as well.

  25. #25Welder Dave2024-01-25 21:29

    I like the styling of older Cat machines from the late 60's and 70's. More rounded profiles and more compact. The kind of rails along the back sides of the 953C and some other Cat machines take away from the overall esthetics.

  26. #26Truck Shop2024-01-25 21:40

    Some sharp looking equipment here, flow through ventilation and all the dirt you can eat. *Notice the front one the roof in back is tipped up--air foil.

  27. #27Welder Dave2024-01-25 21:56

    Aerodynamic bulldozers. The wing on top must add incredible downforce to make it stick to the ground.

  28. #28PeterP92024-01-25 22:26

    Always liked the looks of Forestry Excavators/Loaders/Processors, Particularly Deere, Hitachi and Link Belt. Just something about the shape of the cab and a high walker undercarriage. Also got to say that the Paint Scheme on a Northwest crane in my eyes is really sharp, Black, Orange and the writing on nameplate in white.

  29. #29Jimothy2024-01-26 07:45

    For me it has to be a sunbelt green kubota skidsteer. As soon as you place your ass down in the wet seat you know it’s gonna be a good day! It’s not just the looks it’s the smell too a blend of manure dust and yup dried blood and tears! But any of the big hydraulic mining excavators covered in filth as they should be

  30. #30Vetech632024-01-26 07:52
  31. #311693TA2024-01-26 08:02

    For me I'd have to say the Allis-Chalmers HD-11 Series B, or Fiat-Allis 11-B tractor with open ROPS. Same tractor under the decals. Why? Because this one is mine and I just kind of like it:

  32. #32dust eater2024-01-27 16:06

    I have always had a soft spot for 977H's I spent a good part of my 20's on one and it was just a fun decade in general

  33. #33Mike L2024-01-27 17:34
  34. #34Welder Dave2024-01-27 19:07

    That's actually some pretty bad ass fabrication skills.

  35. #35nicky 68a2024-01-28 07:01

    If I didn’t like the look of D8H and D8K tractors, I wouldn’t have had as many as I did lol

  36. #36KSSS2024-01-28 08:32

    Those are some impressive Fab skills, if he had only taken into consideration the need to keep the big beast cool, he would have gotten even farther.

  37. #37nicky 68a2024-01-28 08:45

    I think it fell into a basement with one track.It did appear to be getting hot though.

  38. #38Truck Shop2024-01-28 08:51

    Nut Job.

  39. #39HarleyHappy2024-01-28 10:25

    Always thought the Cat 416 and 420’s were the sexiest backhoes made.

  40. #40Shimmy12024-01-28 11:19

    Since there is some talk on old equipment, I'll add this. I know there is universal hate for big rubber tire hoes, but if I had to conquer the world with one, and parts were not an issue, give me the old trusty 780D. I've spent a bunch of time in a 446B, but it's not the beast the 780 was.

  41. #411693TA2024-01-28 11:31

    That one looks to be 4X4. Had my former 780CK been 4X4, there would not have been any thoughts of selling it. I really liked that tractor a lot except it didn't like moving in the slop it needed to.

  42. #42Mike L2024-01-28 14:06

    Did he go to far? Probably. Did those other people push him too far? Probably. Is there way more to the story that we’ll never know? More than likely.

  43. #43Truck Shop2024-01-28 17:43

    Probably? pew.

  44. #44Coaldust2024-01-28 18:01

    I thought Cody did a good job dropping his persona and actually doing sincere interviews of the townsfolk. Love the classic Komatsu style. Be the change you want to see.

  45. #45Welder Dave2024-01-28 21:12

    It did get stuck but was steaming too. I think he would have done a lot more damage if he hadn't got. Ran it till it wouldn't run anymore. He was headed towards some propane tanks or fuel station when someone in a Cat scraper tried to stop him. Basically pushed the scraper out of the way like a toy but it did cause him to change direction. He had to have had some serious mental issues. Too bad because he was a highly skilled fabricator and welder.

  46. #46Tugger22024-01-28 22:06

    Ive always liked the look of the old Americans when they are all cleaned up. But i guess im a little biased.

  47. #47Welder Dave2024-01-28 22:44

    That looks better than new.

  48. #48Tugger22024-01-28 23:28

    Before we fixed the old girl up.She had good bones inside.