I need to replace windows in my Lull 844 (telehandler) with some 1/4" lexan. Vandals always smack out the glass which was int he winshield and the rest is really old. Any tips on where to purchase rough pieces for me to cut to shape? Any tips on cutting it? I hear it must be cut slow as it melts and clogs the blade and may even remelt after the blade passes through. I was going to cool the jigsaw with some water sprayed. I see oil may be good to cool and keep blade from clogging and remelting behind the blade. I need to cut some radius shapes on the corners. How does the scratch resistant stuff hold up if treated carefully? It is really just my yard machine not on the construction site. Thanks
I assume you are talking about Margard when you refer to the scratch resistant stuff. Margard is a Lexan product, so it has the same basic properties that are associated with Lexan, but the stuff is great at resisting scratches. You don't even have to treat it carefully, though I'd probably make sure you wash it with a wet cloth, not wipe it off with a dry one. As for where to get some, I would try any glass shops, they should be able to get it, but you may have to buy a minimum amount to have them bring it in. Now, another option would be to check with a forestry equipment dealer, as a lot of loggers use Margard in their machines due to it's impact and abrasion resistance. I have no ideas about cutting it though. Brian
Lexan If you will go to google and do a search for lexan or plexiglass you will find plenty of suppliers. I did this a month or two ago and found three or four good suppliers that had different sizes. This will cut down on shipping getting 2 or 3 smaller pieces instead of 1 big one. If you need any help with this just ask. Roddyo
Thanks guys I was searching and did find a few suppliers guess I'll get some quotes. I did send one place the dimensions of the four pieces. Now I know it is called Mar-guard. Thanks!
You can cut it with a skil-saw with a plywood blade on it.
Searched Mar-Guard and had some good results. Seemed better than my lexan search
try www.mcmaster.com search: polycarbonate sheets Alan
probably go with these guys http://www.modernplastics.com/lexan...t-polycarbonate-sheet-ultramasked-p-1289.html seems good selection and prices
The best way to cut it is with a 4in grinder with a thin blade cut off wheel.
The last time I needed Lexan, I bought it at Home Depot. For straight line cuts, a very fine plywood blade on a table saw works well. For curves I would try a fine toothed jigsaw blade. I've never heard of Lexan melting back together after cutting or of needing to cool the material while cutting it. It will crack or chip while cutting if one is not careful.
it will melt if you use a cut off saw(or any kind of abrasive blade). i had to cut some 3/8 thick lexan and all i had was the cut off saw, worked all right, just wait a few minutes before you try to clean off the melted boogers, they get slightly hot.us
saws an air jigsaw with a scrolling blade works real good