now that got my attention. lgp + d8+ m.s.w.(trash)=flat finish pad. flat finish=less dirt wasted = money saved and airspace consever
Never seen that before, pretty cool machine.
Nice find!
do you have any more info on these D8 LGP s??? this obviously was taken on a boat or dock some where... any info on availability would be appreciated.
no im sorry but i was just browsing some pics and ran across those pics.. first time i have seen that
ok thanks
what is the difference from that D8 to any other D8?
LGP=Low Ground Pressure AKA Swamp Cat is built of a lot lighter construction that any other D8 for swamps, wetlands, etc. I'm guessing the T is the next step up from an R, but I don't know that for sure.
That's right, Dozerboy, the D8T replaces the D8R.
Is it actually built lighter, or is it just a matter of higher floation tracks?
It's all about the tracks. Think of it like this, standard grousers on a D8T would be like you wearing your work boots, the LPG tracks are like snow shoes, the guy where the shoes hasn't changed any, but his weight is spread out over a larger area, making it easier to "float" over the snow. Same idea with dozers, the wider the tracks the less ground pressure the dozer puts on the ground, the softer terrian it can traverse. Hope that helps:Cowboy
Meaning, if I want to go snowshoeing, all I need is snowshoes--not to go on a diet. That's what I thought...
Not just snowshoes the LGP goes on a diet too. I don't know how extensive on the crawler, but the blade generally only 3' tall tops and the tracks will not take any abuse. We have a LGP D6R and it was moved on to my job to stir up a silt basin that was a real mud hole with a lot of coble. I took it as easy as I could, but the pads where all twisted up by the time I was done.
now I dont know the exact ground psi, but say its 5lbs psi. if u stuck your foot under the tracks as its going by it would crush your foot, no? If u have 6 inchs of you foot under the tracks thats only 30lbs of pressure not near enough to crush your foot. but would it? if you have a machine of that weight I can only believe your foot would be in fact ground in to the ground? someone please explain that to me.. and possibly use my theory as an example if its understandable Thanks
That's one of the reasons I wondered if they were actually built lighter--the pads are bigger, so they have more leverage working on them when you turn, or run on a surface that isn't even. To me that would call for stronger, which usually means heavier, components. If more wear and tear is an acceptable compromise for being able to float, then I can see using the same components, but lighter ones just doesn't seem like they'd do the job. Obviously, I could be wrong. The smaller blade makes sense though. I'd be willing to bet that on soft ground, it wouldn't hurt your foot, because your foot would push down into the ground. Now, I wouldn't want you to run over my foot on pavement. The difference would be that, on pavement, your foot would be trying to lift the pad up, and so it would see proportionally more of the weight. (Imagine running the machine, on pavement, up onto a couple of railroad ties, one at either end. All of the weight would rest on those two ties, regardless of how many square feet of pads the machine had.) That 30 lb figure would only be valid if the weight was distributed, to the ground, uniformly.
Thank you for clearing that up... atleast I didnt go and stick my foot under a machine to test it out like some people! :bouncegri lol thanks again. now I can answer that question when people ask.
I think it'd hurt nonetheless, mainly because the pressure isn't going to be distributed evenly. If you are standing on solid ground (concrete), remember that the track grousers will exert a tremendous amount of force -- since their contact area is small. Supposing you're standing in swampy marshland, it's possible that the contact be spread over the shoe (pad), but if you're watching a machine, you're probably on a typical construction site with packed dirt. Also, 5 psi is pressure per square inch -- that's akin to putting a bag of flour over a steel rod that's one inch square. If you have six inches of foot exposed, you'd need to multiply that by the width of your foot -- say, four inches -- to get 24 squared inches, which you would multiply by 5 psi to get 24*5 = 120 pounds. Remember, this is assuming the 5 psi is distributed *evenly* across your foot (all 24 sq inches), which is a gross assumption: as the tracks roll over your foot, the areas supported by the rollers will have more applied force and the unsupported areas, less. This is especially evident in rubber track machines: you can see the track actually bow where the rollers accomodate the ground contour. In short, don't get your foot caught underneath a track.
If you were on a typical construction site with packed dirt, you wouldn't need the LGP machine, now would you? Therefore, you must be on a swampy construction site. Geez, do I have to explain everything ? :bouncegri
Bah, fair enough, you win. :notworthy
a few more pics of a D8N LGP
I talked to one of our dozer hands that has spent a lot of time on LGPs he said the crawler is lighten up a bit too.
this isnt a D8T but its an D8R LGP
I would like to see that 8T with a VPAT blade like my 6R XW has! 6R XW came with 32" pads and we had them cut to 24" but they were not the LGP tracks! It looks almost identical to that 8T even the conter weight on the back! And the blade is 13' 6" wide! Ill try to get some pics of it to post:thumbsup ! it has 14hrs on it.
Notice on the first 2 pictures you can see a broken pad on the outside of the track. I agree with digger on the higher leverage since the pads are longer. We had an LGP at the quarry for awhile. We used it to spread the silt out of the silt ponds so it could dry and be hauled off. The operator parked it on top of the silt one day and got off the dozer for lunch break. Looking at the dozer sitting on the pile you would think solid ground but when he jumped off he was waist deep in silt. Never had a chance to run an LGP but it looks fun.
Does anyone know exactly what they do to cut weight on the LGP machines? They use the LGP machines in Alberta a lot for ROW clearing and oilfield/ pipeline work which would involve clearing stumps, brush etc, sometimes rocky ground is encountered. they don't seem to tear apart the tracks too bad. Maybe they use a extra heavy duty track?
i would assume it would have to do with the PSI they are propably trying to get it as low as possible.
original factory photo lpg d-8 http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sethwhite.org/images/mcmurdo/mcmurdo%2520station/tucker%2520sno%2520cat.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sethwhite.org/mcmurdo%2520station.htm&h=1200&w=1600&sz=277&hl=en&start=3&tbnid=uSKh88cgidRVJM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtucker%2Bsno%2Bcat%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN On edit: above is a link to an interesting page about McMurdo Station at the South Pole. If all you want to see is the D-8 LGP pics, I posted them, and a brief explanation, a few posts below. Digger
I'm new here but I just wanted to add some info to this thread. LGP dozers are actually heavier than XL's or standard track machines. Example, D6RLGP weighs 47,874 Lbs. a D6RXL weighs 44,270. And the ground pressure for a D6RLGP with a 36" shoe is 5.15PSI. The U/C is the same build as the other style track machines, this is why LGP U/C's wear out much faster than standard track dozers. Jeff.
Jeff, Correct me if I'm wrong but the LGP gauge is wider (so final drives and frames stick out further) and the length of track on the ground is greater (longer frames and more track shoes) therefore the dozer is a bit heavier but ground pressure is reduced a great deal. And the D8T in the first few shots has rigid mounted track rollers... D8R has bogie track rollers
Just a small point about LGP machines, great for tracking in your work. I used a friends Komatsu D39 LGP last summer and was great for packing down gravel. Not as good as a roller but worked for me for getting every thing flat.
I first saw the D8T LGP in a article put out by the local Cat dealer , Finning . Very interesting read , especially as this new T was also modded with a roof mounted Rads and breathers for work in the settlement ponds of Syncrude in the oil sands of Fort McMurray . Not sure if we have that particular magazine around somewhere , but if I find it I'll try and post some pictures . The magazine is called Tracks and Treads , and I think it was the summer 2005 edition if anyone else has a copy laying around . Good find :thumbsup
those first pictures by quad were taken at a port. quad lives in europe and does a lot of picture posting on the ACMOC BB. there was about 20 pictures of that machine and where it was going. thansk
Hey I got those D8T pictures from Finning.
i.m talking about the ones with QUAD signed in the corner. that is what the fellow marks his pictures with. thos pictures you have just posted are working in salt water. i have seen them before too. thansk
The photos just above us ( Thanks for that too Scott_527 :notworthy :thumbsup ) that's Syncrudes Tailings pond . I forgot how kewl , almost spacey , that D8T looked with all the stuff on the canopy .
also a couple of years ago they had a cat sink and it was a good picture show on getting it out. those are air filters on top if i remember right???? thansk
Yeah it's a pretty cool looking rig. One of the guys on here from alberta posted pics of the sunk tailings dozer. Maybe he has pictures of getting it unstuck? I'd like to see them if anyone has them.
yes it was really stuck, maybe post it under the topic of WET CAT. i'll see if i can find QUAD. he has lots of info on cats because he lives near a port and sees them being loaded and unloaded. thansk
The main radiator and all of the coolers/heat exchangers are mounted on the roof and are cooled by electric motor driven fans.
Here's the deal on post #28. Rivired67 posted a link to a page about McMurdo Station at the South Pole, because it has a few pics of their D-8s--thier 50-year-old D-8s, that are still in use. Becasue it seemed too hard to find the pics of those machines, rivired67 deleted the post. I thought it was well worth seeing them, so, after consultation, I've un-deleted the post, but I've also found the D-8 pics and posted them here. Hopefully the owner of the originating site won't mind. It is the site linked to in post #28.
yes the d8 of the south pole are classics. i have a few freinds own there down a lot of pictures of them. there was 3 at one time and they lost on in a crack. will find the pictures and the links to them. must cuddle on the couch tonight, LOL thansk
Quick Question, what is a tailings pond? Why is it so dirty?
Not sure whether your acronym is appropriate but tailings ponds (in this case) are the areas where the wet sand is pumped after the crude oil has been extracted from the oilsand in Alberta. During extraction a lot of heat is used then the sand/water mix is pumped in many cases several miles where it is spread and separated by these dozers. The dozers can sink in the wet sand which is why specially modified LGP's are used.
I make the photos on the Antwerp port. The dozers go to the Dutch Cat dealer.