Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Liebherr ltm 1045, Boom problem.

aca · 2026-04-21 16:15

I have a problem with my Liebherr LTM 1045. When I give the command to retract the boom and then release the control, the boom continues retracting on its own. This issue occurs only on the first boom section. When the boom is under load, it does not retract. Also, if I leave the boom extended, it stays in position and does not retract until I actively command it. I recently overhauled both hydraulic cylinders inside the boom. Do you have any idea what could be causing this problem? I’m quite concerned, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1HATCHEQUIP2026-04-21 16:37

    Were the cylinders leaking or were you already experiencing another problem at that time

  2. #2aca2026-04-21 16:47

    Before the overhaul, the cylinders were leaking a bit, but I didn't have this problem. When the overhaul was finished, I tried the rod 3-4 times and everything was fine; the boom was not retracting. A few days ago, this problem appeared. I removed the safety block valve from the cylnder and took it to the service; they said it was fine.

  3. #3HATCHEQUIP2026-04-21 17:04

    Im not familiar with this machine just asking the general questions of other squirt boom cranes. Did you bleed the air from cylinders. Is it possible someone left a stopper or something in a line or hose that then might have gotten sucked into the main control valve.

  4. #4crane operator2026-04-22 13:53

    Is that a locking pin/latch boom, or is full power? It looks like a full power boom. Could be air, could be control valve. I would try telescoping with the boom at a negative angle, that should get any trapped air out of it.