Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Liebherr T282 accident

Zed ยท 2010-09-18 23:32

Here's some pictures of a Liebherr T282, 360 ton truck that crashed here a couple of weeks ago. The operator fell asleep descending a ramp, fully loaded, and ran it straight into a pile of material at the bottom. Downloads reveal it was travelling at 51mph at moment of impact. It tipped forward with such force it unloaded all 360 ton of dirt over the front. The operator received many injuries, and both legs broken. The truck is a write off.

Replies53
  1. #1Zed2010-09-18 23:42

    More photos...

  2. #2qball2010-09-18 23:50

    holy crap! i bet that made a big noise.

  3. #3dingo2010-09-19 04:15

    to all the operators out there thanks for keeping me employed fixing this stuff!!!!!

  4. #4DEERE310SG2010-09-19 10:35

    Wow that's a bad one.

  5. #5stock2010-09-19 15:40

    Thank you Zed please keep us informed of any future details that come available.....

  6. #6tonka2010-09-19 16:31

    well i hope the operator heals up ok, on a side note they got some extra parts...

  7. #7JDOFMEMI2010-09-22 04:29

    First, I hope the driver recovers. Second, if not for the piles of dirt to hit, it could have been much worse. I have never seen one dump its load out the FRONT of the box before. That has to be some kind of record. Well, the fleet will have 5 pretty good spare tires now. That's about the only bright spot I see.

  8. #8Dozerboy2010-09-22 17:25

    X2 thats crazy hope he heals up ok

  9. #9amtronic2010-09-26 20:05

    I bet that was a mighty Clang~!

  10. #10Aliate2010-09-27 11:12

    fastest way to unload a truck

  11. #11scholzee2010-09-27 12:35

    Yeah but you can only do it once LOL

  12. #12Vantage_TeS2010-09-27 21:44

    Mm I should see if I can find my video of these beasts working...

  13. #13DPete2010-10-02 12:02

    51 mph ! what an impact. The driver's lucky he didn't go into the abyss

  14. #14brynbaily2010-10-03 13:52

    Damn lucky he didn't hit another 282 head on at 51 mph! Like JDOFMEMI had said a 360 ton truck moving at 51 mph out of control could have been much much worse!

  15. #15alco2010-10-04 11:24

    We just had an accident last year similar to what you are mentioning, it was a Liebherr hitting another truck at high speed and a fatal.

  16. #16Jdigger41302011-02-21 01:12

    Hey boss, I have good news and bad. First. I totally broke many parts of my own body and will be in therapy for years so you dont have to. Bad news is yer big ol truck... well.. ITS ROACHED!!!!

  17. #17duffy2011-02-24 08:53

    ahh boneheads....he's lucky!

  18. #18rod5772011-03-08 00:36

    where the hell did you get your information zed if you don't know what really happened just say so don't put **** up that is false it happened at the mine i'm at i wasn't on crew when it happened so i will give you the best info i can the operator was fine he actually got told to go home when he turned up for the next shift the truck wasn't loaded it had a heap of carry back in it (in too much of a hurry being last load) the driver was awake the whole time overtook 2 trucks on the way down the truck stopped registering speed at 99kmh (about 60mph) basically the operator being in a hurry for last load didnt get all his load out proceded to the crest of the ramp at 50kmh(top speed set in these particular trucks) (sight rules 30kmh empty 20kmh loaded at crest of ramp) when the operator realized their was a problem tried to hit the service brake apparently didn't realize was pressing the foot rest (bent the **** out of it though) the section where he hit at the bottom(land bridge) had a 40 meter drop was extremely lucky that when land bridge was constructed they built it too wide they block tipped the windrow out to save unnecessary grading so it was about double the width it should have been`

  19. #19alco2011-03-08 23:33

    That's interesting, I've never seen a T282 or T282B that had a footrest.

  20. #20jwbmining2011-03-23 13:41

    Rod, you're referring to what happened in an Australian mine. The pictures that started off this thread are from an Indonesian mine. (KPC - its on the dump body)

  21. #21hammerman2011-03-23 14:49

    he really had good luck!!!!

  22. #22BBoomerBootCamp2011-03-24 19:46

    Ok so Rod577 is throwing a rod, while Zeb is taking one, or so it would seem, so who's really in the know?? All I want in life is my grave stone to say Played well with others, sound good gents?!

  23. #23rare ss2011-04-02 02:10

    thats crazy stuff to see the front pushed in soo far, surprised the operator its still around to tell the tail

  24. #24Zed2011-04-03 02:10

    Rod, I got the information from being on site, when it happened, in Indonesia. A friend from MTU did the engine download and that is where that information came from. Obviously not the same event, and I REALLY don't appreciate being called a liar. Enough said.

  25. #25alco2011-04-04 14:21

    Not to worry Zed, I think most of us can see right through this guy and his post. None of his "facts" add up in the slightest, and add to that the fact that he's only ever made one post.......I'd say it's pretty straight forward as to who knows what he's talking about here, and it's not him. Thanks for the information on the incident by the way.

  26. #26KPC_man2011-10-09 07:18

    Sleepy operator, typical KPC incident

  27. #27Nige2011-10-14 11:50

    Normal thing for this class of truck if it comes to a sudden stop from 20-30mph+. If he was doing 51mph (or could that have been 51km/h?) just before he hit how in God's name didn't the bouncing movement of the truck wake not the operator up..? I'd be asking what happened to the ARC system and why did that not engage when the truck speed went above programmed limits ..?

  28. #28alco2011-10-14 23:19

    Nige, the Liebherr system won't engage unless it is turned on. Even if it were to engage, they are notorious for not being able to stop the truck on a downhill grade if the energy generated by the truck racing downgrade is left unchecked, as it then will exceed the braking capacity of the truck. At that point, we have had several situations where even an emergency application of the service brakes is ineffective. I would think the operator was woken up at some point, but the truck was already past the point of no return, and the operator intervention was ineffective at checking the speed of the truck. To me, this really looks like what happens when you get an inverter fault, and all retarding power is lost. The service brakes become the only hope, and as is the case with Liebherr T2892Bs, the brakes just don't cut it if they have been applied more than about twice since their last replacement.

  29. #29Nige2011-10-15 16:47

    I've been on quite a few mine sites that have Liebherr T282s but never got the chance to crawl round one or talk to the people that run & maintain them. Also over the past few years I've been sent quite a few photos over the "bush telegraph" of mangled Liebherrs in pretty much every continent in the World. Your comment seems to make a good case for what I seem to recall we were discussing on another thread a while back, full-fat oil-cooled mutiple disc brakes a la Cat vs "the rest".

  30. #30coalrulz2011-10-15 17:31

    Nige, Komatsu has oil-cooled brakes on the 930's and 960's. just sayin'

  31. #31Nige2011-10-15 19:35

    I stand corrected ...... OK then, "A la Cat & Komatsu" versus the rest ....... Komatsu didn't have oil-cooled multi-plate discs on their large electric-drive models. Until the 930 came out they had (and still have for that matter on anything smaller than the 930) dry discs mounted on the outboard end of the wheel motor and turning at twice armature speed. They burn up in one hell of a hurry if you use them at any speed more than about 10mph. I may be biased but I know which of the two I'd rather have to stomp the red pedal on if I got in a bind .......

  32. #32surfer-joe2011-10-15 20:27

    Well, it's not a total writeoff. You have some good tires and wheels. A good bed, lots of engine and transmission parts if not outright exchanges. Likely a decent rear axle assembly and planetary sets. The two rear suspension cylinders look good, and the hoist cylinders still may be good. Lots of money left in this rig.

  33. #33alco2011-10-15 21:33

    I couldn't agree more, oil cooled are the ONLY way to go!

  34. #34Nige2011-10-16 11:16

    Backing up a tad to the issue of the load going over the headboard of the dump body takes me back about 15-ish years to delivering some new Cat 789Bs to a mining customer who up to that point had only used Haulpaks. This was of course the days of DC (not AC) Drives and great big contactors in the control box. If your drive contactors did not drop out so that the retard contactors could pick up and bring the resistor grid into play the operator was screwed. The Training guys from the mine were looking at the braking system of the 789 & being only used to the wheel motor disc brakes of their Haulpaks they were sceptical of how good the Cat brakes actually were. So for a demo I loaded up a 789 with about 190 tonnes and hit the Secondary Brake pedal at 50kph on a level road. It was amazing how the truck squatted on all 4 corners and as a result probably about 5 tonnes or so or the load came straight over the headboard and landed on the road in front of the truck. Flushed with success I then went back and did the same thing with the Service Brake. After that demonstration I think they were convinced ......

  35. #35coalrulz2011-10-16 14:52

    Nige, according to Komatsu's website the 860E also has front and rear multiple wet disk brakes. Looks to be a 260 to 280 ton truck.

  36. #36alco2011-10-17 00:08

    I can't speak for the 789s, as I've never run one, but a few years ago, I had another truck pull out in front of me in a 797 with about 400 tons on her back doing around 60km/h, and all I can say is.....THOSE DAMN BRAKES WORK REALLY, REALLY GOOD!

  37. #37jwbmining2011-10-18 17:44

    Liebherr trucks are lighter, use less fuel and oil and are ultimately cheaper to operate than trucks with oil cooled brakes. The problem was the operator falling asleep and not hitting the brake to begin with. Sure he'd destroy the dry disc brakes but he'd stop the truck before smacking into the berm like he did. Alco you're senior enough to be able to operate either with no problem I'm sure.

  38. #38alco2011-10-18 23:49

    JWB, I don't run trucks anymore, I'm senior enough to spend my time loading them. But when I did, I ran all of the different types we have. And as for the brakes stopping the truck, don't bet money on it. If a T282B is travelling downgrade at the kind of speeds they are claiming this one did, the brakes aren't going to do squat.......and I can point you to the grave of one of our operators who was killed two years ago next month to illustrate that point! As for the Liebherrs burning less fuel, we have found that to not be the case, they burn about the same amount as a 797 does. That is unless you look at monthly totals, then the downtime they experience plays into things........they don't burn fuel while they're in the shop. They also cost more to run in the long run than a 797 does. Factor in the lower availability and lower productivity that results from that, and your cost per ton goes up significantly.

  39. #39RayF2011-10-21 23:34

    Interesting thread.Just seen it. I did some work on that site a few times in 97/ 98. At that time they were digging with 12 EX3500's and 8 1800's and 126 Cat trucks under them. Three 996 Liebherrs had recently arrived which where having some teething problems.I was there training up the locals in Line Boring and being paid by Shell and mostly working with the Hitachi people. It was a real nice spot

  40. #40Peter Kennedy2012-05-07 03:40

    A Kiwi operator did the same thing to a 282 where I work and the download reveiled that the half loaded truck hit the "Whopperstopper" at the bottom of a long downramp at 99 Km per hour. The truck was a writeoff and believe it or not the Kiwi kept his job .

  41. #41Nige2012-05-07 07:49

    but he asked for an advance on his next pay cheque to buy clean underwear ......

  42. #42stinkycat2012-05-07 17:10

    Nige I'm a little older than most of the people posting. But you are right about the armature brakes. We had Unit Rig M100 electo hauls with air flex type tube front brakes and armature rear brakes for low speeds (under 10 mph) we changed lots of rear brakes our Cat 779s had oil cooled disc brakes (circa 1967-1968)

  43. #43Nige2012-05-07 17:45

    I can recall the 200-ton Unit Rigs in Africa working on the Zambian Copperbelt circa 1970-ish. Those fcukers had an EMD locomotive engine fitted ...........

  44. #44stinkycat2012-05-07 20:18

    That was after my time in mining our M100s had 12v149 Detroit diesels, Next mine up the road Pima had M85 16v71 Detroit Diesels and our Cats was the D348. The EMDs were after Unit Rig had a falling with GE

  45. #45alco2012-05-07 23:14

    I'm guessing those were M200s?

  46. #46Nige2012-05-08 07:19

    They were indeedy.

  47. #47EH 40002012-05-23 03:04

    Sounds like Mt Arthur, been a few photos floating around on the 'net of that one.

  48. #48Ross2012-05-24 22:40

    Ouch nice impact. Loss of dynamics are a thing of the past on newer AC drive haul trucks. No Invertors on a 930E. Well not as we know them. The IGBT's are paired up for each phase pole. A 930E has wet brakes all round but a seperate park brake unlike a CAT. Oh yeah all the CAT wet brake spew makes me laugh. What about when the Park brake relief valves stick open on them old 789's? This normally happens after a few long downhill hauls. Totally rubbish on the long downs with a load on! Or how about when the Duo-Cones start to leak after brake over temps? (Usually after a few un loaded downhill runs)

  49. #49Nige2012-05-25 11:57

    S'funny. Our loaded haul is mostly downhill with 789's and I have yet to see a leaking Duo-Cone seal even though we have far more high brake temp events in VIMS than I am comfortable with ..... and don't ask about payload overloads.....

  50. #50Ross2012-05-25 14:25

    Never seen a leaky Duo-Cone seal Nige? Like never? Your in for a shock if you ever get the newer 'Electronic brake F' Trucks. What's the over temp trigger set at on your trucks? And Iam talking about downhill hauls. Like a few Km's worth of non stop downs.

  51. #51Nige2012-05-25 16:04

    I have seen leakers before, just not here - 994s are worse than trucks, you only have to park them for a day and they are weeping, but they stop as soon as the machine goes back to work. Over-temp trigger is standard 122DegC for a Level 2 Event with Level 3 triggering at 127 DegC (or if Level 2 goes on for longer than 60 seconds IIRC). I have ours set up on Manual EREC to generate a VIMS Snapshot if we trigger a brake over-temp. Haven't seen a rear leaker here here on 17 trucks (so far, with 15 more to come). All our front leakers were at very low hours straight out of the box and all except 1 were cured in short order by wheel bearing adjustments. That one it turned out the Toric Ring was "shaved" during assembly at the factory. Our 789Cs run 185 tonne target payload but average in the mid-190's, with some loads up to 220, just scraping in on the 10/10/20 Rule (120% for 185 target is 222). Our longest downhill loaded stretch is 1.9km long with one part of it at 12% and the rest at 9-11%. That downhill section is right at the start of a 9.5km loaded haul to the tailings dam. Some other parts of the haul are also downhill loaded but probably only about 5% downgrade.

  52. #52Chuck Paugh2014-11-24 18:26

    Where did this take place? I'd be interested in talking to the owner of this truck.

  53. #53Garrie Denny2015-04-26 04:50

    Hes not available for comment