Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

life expectancy for JLG boom lift

JJ960E ยท 2017-05-29 05:06

Hi I've been given the task of searching for a boom lift in particular a 450aj sII JLG to go along side another of an identical model, since I've only come across one that has 5000 hrs, I would like to get some indication of if this is high hours for this type of machine, I'm more familiar with earthmoving where equipment is naturally in a rough environment. What kind of hours have people seen on these machines before doing anything major ? The other machine is currently around 3000hrs and we are sorting through electrical issues which is ok. any input is appreciated thanks

Replies2
  1. #1Knepptune2017-05-29 22:36

    Usually it's not anything major that kills a manlift. They are the worst about nickel and diming you to death tho. I've seen very few working day after with over 6000hrs on them. (Yes I'm sure there's people with different opinions but that's what I've seen.) At that point they're better off with someone who doesn't need it everyday and can tinker with it themselves. Like I say I've never really seen anything major go wrong. Just seems like they hit a certain point and they just get to needy. If I was going to count on a manlift every single day I'd buy the absolute lowest hour machine I could find. Btw this goes for all the manlift brands.

  2. #2Mikefromcny2017-06-21 21:41

    I've seen a 99' ish 600s with 9900 hours. Looked rough but still operated fine. I have an old 60ha with 5500 hours, gas, still going. Don't rely on hours alone unless it has a documented history...those meters are easily changed. Get it up to operating temp and try to load the pumps. Tired hydro pumps will struggle in high gear and on hills.