working a project at work. We are being urged to eliminate the overhead hoist that we were using to install a transformer into a workstation cart. They want something not fixed to the building. We have a prototype and I'll attach a photo. The prototype works but I think additional features would be battery powered hydraulic motor instead of foot pedal. Also maybe something capable of lifting higher. It is lifting and lowereing outside its own footprint so it needs to have some counerweight . looking to see if anybody knows of something off the shelf from a manufacturer. That is simaler to our prototype but has the features were looking for employees won't use it if its not convinent
It's called a forklift You have to post three times before you can put up pictures.. your response to this will be at least #2
OK and forklift is not good
Picture...
http://www.vestilmfg.com/products/mhequip/portable_cantilever_hoists.htm http://www.nationwideindustrialsupply.com/Cranes/ http://www.easyrack.org/counter-balanced-floor-crane-p-1347.html
here's the photo thanks for your ideas lantraxco any more solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Looking for something that weighs just enough to get the job done as to keep portabliity and moving it while loaded as easy as possible.
http://www.optimalhandling.com/Pallet-Truck-Hoist-1648.aspx Here is another one considered
An engine hoist from the local auto parts store with a scrap engine block for counterweight would work.
They make a lift designed to lift heavy circuit breakers etc up to 8' high or so. It looks like a combination of a hand truck and a forklift and is raised by hand cranking a winch or hydraulics, which raises the platform. Good for several hundred pounds, they also can be rented at reasonable cost.
Yeah , good ideas lantraxco & norite . I was thinking going with a 4 wheel platform truck like this ..... http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_21081_21081 Then mounting a swing jib on the front of the platform truck like this ... http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_74569_74569#close Be like having a boom truck in the office Could haul transformers & set them at the same time .
Good idea, just get a piece of steel plate for ballast cut just a hair smaller than the platform, bolt the jib right through the whole works.
That would work great lantraxco ! Problem solved ........ How many unit's do you need alxjeffs ? :cool2
I really like where you went with that now think you have to move 8 a day 5 days a week so you want out to be easy and ergonomic any ideas on how we could improve that design be super easy? I like it. I'm looking at buying or building one or two rigs
Also the trick is calculating how much weight you need and minimizing it to be as easy to roll around as possible and still being 100 percent safe most of our stuff needs certification but I might be able to get something small and simple in. anything automatic would be great battery or ac powered
65Lbs? id just get the secratary to move that?
Depends on your budget. And how far you need to reach with the arm outside the footprint of the cart. An electric winch and a single electric actuator in place of the jack would make it all electric, then you need one or two deep cycle batteries and a charger on board. If there isn't an overriding reason for rotation make it a fixed boom over the front of the cart, use a second linear actuator to extend and retract the stinger. Mount the control switches in a box near the top bar where your hands will be. A 65 pound transformer I can lift with one hand, so it ain't exactly a high stress situation. Some examples: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200365241_200365241 http://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/I-E-I/18-04-STROKE-500-LBS-12-VDC-LINEAR-ACTUATOR-5-1679-18.axd
I like the idea of the all electric rig with the actuator lantraxco ! No oil leaks in the office . All internet bull crap aside ....... 65 pounds aint much but just enough yank a shoulder muscle or twist your spine the wrong way . Sometimes I use a hoist to set a head back on a block on a Detroit so I can see all the O- ring's stay in place . Damn .... It's hell getting older ! I just aint as tough as I used to be . Go cut down a hickory tree & build a 60 pound pull bow out of it . Made my shoulder & arms hurt . LOL ! HeavyEquipmentForums
td25c, I get that, in reality when I was 40 I was tough as nails and worked hard, I'm pushing 60 now and hardly work... and when I do I hurt everywhere, lol.
12 volt electric crane Yeah lantraxco , I'm I my mid 40's now & just starting to feel some of the symptoms of aging . Sure not 18 any more , those day's are gone One other thing you mentioned was the Super winch . I can attest to the Super winch as I built my first service crane using 3 super winch's . Boom , cable , & swing . Made it somewhat similar to the old Auto Crane version . Required 12 relays to make it function . Built it back in 1992 , handy as a shirt pocket . Used this type of relay http://www.ebay.com/bhp/12v-starter-relay Used it to set the truck wheels on the 16-B . Sure saves the back muscles :yup HeavyEquipmentForums
Nice looking setup, there have been times I would have killed for something like that!
TD if you ever need another boom for that crane there is 1 in my loft!! I had the old auto crane on a truck & got 2 booms with it the 10' & a 20'.. I have the 10 laying up there & prolly never use it!!! its been there over 10 years now that I think bout it!!!
I'm the same way lantraxco . My interest in cranes & material handling came from working on farm and in shops where at the time they did not have much in the way of lifting or moving something . Remember when my Grandpa purchased a hydraulic loader for a farm tractor in the mid 1970's . Man was that something ! We thought we had the world by the arse now and aint nothing we cant do with it . We would later chain a boom pole to the bucket for taller picks . LOL! Funny part is we are still dealing with the same issues they did in the past . Have bigger iron now but go after bigger jobs . Grandpa .... rest his soul is probably having a big laugh over it all .
Thanks FSERVICE , I'll sure keep that in mind bro .
Dang if that don't give me flashbacks! We had an old Ferguson with a hydraulic loader, swapped a lot of engines with it, used to prop the bucket up with a 4x4 and use a chain block.. good times, lol! :yup
Yeah at 23 years old it's not a problem to whip em out and put em into the carts but even at my age I like to think ahead and avoid over exerting myself when conveniently possible. But working with people 50+ and 60+ and some girls easy is best. Thanks for all the great ideas guys maybe we will put something together out of all this. Right now we are using an a frame hoist to get the job done but I will send these ideas on to the project manager to see if he like's any of the ideas.
Yeah alxjeffs , I totally get that . Your in a factory environment & need something that's user friendly for everyone . It's not like putting up hay where you get 3 or 4 teenagers to toss square bales on a wagon . This is a bit overkill for the job but it's all electric & operated with hand held remote switch control . Weighs in at 230 pounds . Don't know what it would cost ? Auto Cranes smallest unit .... http://www.autocrane.com/html/service-cranes-e-econoton.php?expandable=0?hotlinxhdr=0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjbHXVWLs4g Good luck in your search & let us know what you find out .
Absolutely lantraxco :thumbsup Ferguson made a pretty nice rough terrain crane back in the day , even had 3 point hitch & pto . http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9545069 We still use a Ford 4000 RT for lifting & tugging tasks . HeavyEquipmentForums
I actually work for Ruger Industries, a floor crane spe******t out of Ohio. Judging by the pictures you posted I think our vertical lift Straddle or Standard Straddle Floor Crane would work best. The standard straddle comes in a 500 lb. option and would probably be your best price saving choice... however, I attached pics of both. Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] if you'd like to discuss possible options. Hope this helps!
Actually after reading your initial post, I apologize, our counter-balance vertical lift crane is actually exactly what you describe. I attached pictures of it below and still feel free to contact me at [email protected] to discuss it. In addition, we also offer the powered lift you describe as a standard option!
That's pretty sweet!