Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

lift pump on 540B skidder

TMTS ยท 2008-11-22 07:14

is there a good way to test if your fuel lift pump is working? I have the glass filter off, and I'm pumping away on the hand lever- I can hear it trying to pump- air pushing through, but no fuel...since it just got cold here, it may be I have something frozen in the lines toward the fuel tank... also- is there an aftermarket supplier of these pumps... -TMTS

Replies3
  1. #1Vantage_TeS2008-11-22 20:58

    Not overly familiar with the 540s but the 610s wont hand prime if any of the filters or water seperator is dry.

  2. #2basecamp2010-03-08 16:04

    TMTS, First, hit the statrter to move the engine over. A lot of those JD pumps won't pump much of anything if the cam is up against the lever. Second, take off the suction side and put your finger over it (a back woods logger trick; you should probably use a vaccuum gauge), to see if it has suction. Third, take off the fuel cap and blow a shot of air back into the supply line. listen for bubbles in the tank. The screen in the tank may be plugged. If these simple diagnostics don't reval anything, buy a new transfer pump. I found that they go bad without correlation to time in service. Also, they are cheap and easy to replace. Good luck, Jim

  3. #3basecamp2010-03-08 16:06

    Might be a more credible response if I could spell "starter".