Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lifting a portable MRI machine

Tiny ยท 2010-02-06 13:35

This job was done a year ago.Research Hospital bought a mobile Mri scanner then put up precast to house it in. They eventually bought a new one and sold this one but didn't want to tear down the precast.This thing would 10 foot wide and I think the enclosure was 14 wide.Had to stay off the sidewalks. Used an AC180 Demag and an AC 160 Demag. I and one other got the job of rigging it

Replies8
  1. #1Tiny2010-02-06 13:39

    more

  2. #2Tiny2010-02-06 13:41

    last

  3. #3liebherr11602010-02-06 13:44

    Interesting ...havent lifted one in the trailer ..did one for a hospital .. the other was for a guy that accidently bought an office trailer ..with the MRI in it as a package ..came from a veternary school .. Put the Mri down through the roof ..left for the day ..and the next morning I went back to fish it out of the basement for him ..

  4. #4Tiny2010-02-06 13:50

    I have been on 4 different one where we rolled them in place.They were permanent magnet units.Had to leave your wallet in the truck because the magnetism was strong enough to wipe credit cards.Jacks and other tool were all stainless also.

  5. #5Tiny2010-02-06 13:52

    That sounds like a long story!!

  6. #6liebherr11602010-02-06 15:57

    At 22,000 lbs ..he should have braced the floor ...It went through the floor overnight .. And yes your right about the magnet .. A few years ago I got a steel from a hammer face embeded in my arm ..A bit of a story ..but it went deep in between the two bones in my forearm ..this past year I had to opt for the Cat scan over an MRI ..because of it ..They fear the MRI would it rip clear out of my arm ..in a less freindly fashion than it went in ..

  7. #7cranedude072010-02-06 17:24

    nice pics

  8. #8ke6gwf2010-11-01 16:36

    I helped tow a blocking car and then jumpstart the tractor that was delivering a portable MRI to a local hospital a few years back when I drove tow truck, and since I didn't have any other calls to go to, I hung around talking to the tech as he powered up and aligned the unit. While it was still warming up, I wandered into the chamber and was looking at the calibration target sitting outside the throat, and felt something brushing against my leg. I looked down and my key ring and leatherman sheath were sticking straight out, and the mini-crescent wrench in my pocket and whatever other metal on me was trying to leave my presence! I pushed myself away and left the chamber before the unit finished powering up... I was lucky that it wasn't hot enough to fry my cards or phone. Ben~