Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lifting eye or chain hook?

John Canfield · 2019-01-28 10:19

Other than using a chain over bucket teeth for lifting, what other options are out there for a more dedicated solution? What about welding a chain hook either inside the bucket or the backside near the attachment point? I have a ripper ordered for my E42 (also on order) - would that work well with a chain looped over the tooth?

Replies19
  1. #1lumberjack2019-01-28 14:56

    I weld a swivel d ring on the back of the bucket for a lifting point... works great and stays out of the way.

  2. #2John Canfield2019-01-28 17:12

    Ah, right - hadn’t thought of a D ring, I welded some on my trailer. Great idea, thanks!

  3. #3Canuck Digger2019-02-03 15:04

    I like lifting eye with a removable shackle/lift hook that rotates. Allows you to swing loads around as you need them to. The nice thing about a lift hook is if you're using straps all 4 ends will fit. I like the removable shackle cause the constant banging of the lift hook against the back of the bucket drives me crazy, so I just remove it and only put it on when I need it.

  4. #4John Canfield2019-02-04 21:00

    I know about shackles banging, I had them on my rock crawler Jeep. Drove me nuts. Haven’t heard of a rotating lift eye, I’ll have to investigate. Apparently Bobcat has a bolt-on lift eye, found it in their online parts catalog. It looks like you would want to use it without a bucket. The parts diagram for that eye shows it mounted above the X-Change.

  5. #5Canuck Digger2019-02-04 21:40

    If I'm not mistaken, the new Hyundai series has the same system when I was looking at their 60. the only thing I didn't like about it was the eye stuck out quite a ways past the back side of the bucket. Could cause some damage on siding and such thinking you still got a few inches. On the flip side, if you're lifting things that you shouldn't be weight wise, would be nice to lose the bucket and gain a few hundred pounds in lift capacity...

  6. #6John Canfield2019-02-04 22:15

    I was thinking along the same lines - drop the bucket and gain more lift power.

  7. #7rondig2019-02-04 23:28

    We made a short jib that we quick attach without bucket. It works great for building mega block retaining walls in tight areas. Also gives extra reach

  8. #8Nige2019-02-05 12:55

    What about something like this..?

  9. #9John Canfield2019-02-05 13:32

    I was looking at this hoist ring , WLL of 5,000 lbs.

  10. #10DMiller2019-02-05 18:06

    I generally chain out what I am lifting, sewed on 1/2" weld on Chain hooks for myself.

  11. #11old-iron-habit2019-02-07 22:53

    This one would meet OSHA requirements as well providing you used a shackle to attach your rigging. D rings, open hooks without retainers, etc. are not OSHA approved. Plus its always nice when everyone goes home at night healthy and unhurt.

  12. #12lumberjack2019-02-08 09:29

    OSHA has a problem with D rings, but DOT likes D rings for load securement? Learn something new every day.

  13. #13John Canfield2019-02-08 13:52

    All of the D rings I've ever seen are Chinese made which I don't trust - I never place myself under a load using a D ring anyway.

  14. #14ITW2019-02-08 17:05

    I use one like this welded to my quick connection Than I can remove the bucket for maximum lift and it is no problem to use with bucket on also.

  15. #15Jbullfrog2019-07-09 21:31

    I have a Werk-Brau pin grabber, so I had a local shop plasma cut the side plates to make this. It is a section of 2" square tubing with a Warn recovery hitch insert. It will take any receiver hitch to move trailers around also. I use 1-3/4" cylinder rod for the pins.

  16. #16Nige2019-07-11 09:59

    Pardon me for asking but isn't the attachment kind of a "sloppy" fit on the pins or is it just an illusion of the photo..? Just thinking out loud that you might run into issues with a Safety germ unless the fabrication was "engineered" (in as much as stress calculations were done) and there is no SWL marked on it. Don't get me wrong, as a fabrication it's neat and it will do the job. But I have experience of how this sort of stuff can go South in a heartbeat.

  17. #17Bls repair2019-07-11 18:41

    I like these

  18. #18Jbullfrog2019-07-11 22:08

    The pins fit tight in the plate sides, the collars are just to hold the bolt retainer.

  19. #19Nige2019-07-12 04:51

    Thank you. An illusion of the photo in that case. I always think that if something looks right it most probably is right. A nice paint job and a neat plate with the SWL marked on it would be the perfect finishing touches.