Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Limber Questions

marcosabatino ยท 2011-06-28 18:21

I have a 1998 3400Q Link - belt Stroker. It has a denarco 3200 head on it. It is diffrent than most limbers as it has 2 grab arms and no feed rollers. It has a but plate for cutting shorts, and a tail gate and the end of the trough for cutting longs. I have an idea to make it more productive: I plan on welding a peice of steel to the tail gate to make it higher, and feeding two or three trees at a time up to the tail gate. Has any one done something like this before?

Replies8
  1. #1marcosabatino2011-06-28 19:02
  2. #2csquared2011-06-28 19:45

    i got a better idea... get with the times and get a 622b. strokers r years behind the times

  3. #3marcosabatino2011-06-28 23:49

    well buddy, i dont think im doing that bad, a buttontop stroker and 3 skidders. all older but also all paid for and not bad for a 20 year old. All that fancy stuff comes in time.

  4. #4mitch5042011-06-29 00:20

    Sometimes those payments will eat your lunch, paid for is nice.

  5. #5DoubleBitTimber2011-07-08 11:54

    I take it that it doesn't have a computer. I make post and pole with my old Deere delimber, ill grab 3 or 4 sticks and slam them into the butt plate, square the ends with my butt saw and then stroke them all out. I would assume you could do the same. Just make sure you don't weld anything too high in the trough that interferes with putting it in transport mode. Hope this helps!

  6. #6Haddy2011-07-08 17:08

    Sounds like you are doing well . Good to see young guys coming into the industry . Nothing wrong with a lot of older gear if it is looked after , yes , it is slower but that new stuff has to be very quick just to make the payments . Good on ya

  7. #7Redwood Climber2011-07-09 00:27

    Big Payments= gotta have steady work........... I agree........it is way cool to have new equipment, less breakdowns, more production, easier on the operators and owner.......but at a price.....a big price! With new equipment come huge payments which means you gotta work. That can lead to bidding too cheap just to work........then the spiral starts.......gotta work just to make payments......gotta bid cheap to work........it's a viscious cycle. I like new equipment, but no payments when shutdown time comes is so nice..... Anyone can get the wood with new equipment........it takes a real logger to make the used iron produce!

  8. #8marcosabatino2011-07-24 10:32

    ya thx guys. and yes it does have a computer. Im going to try it out here soon. Will let you know how it goes.