Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lincoln Ranger305D/Line boring

dabsfabs · 2013-06-29 04:24

Dose any know if there are any problems with lincoln ranger 305D welder generators can only get the 305D here in the UK. As looked into doing lease hire, with one and only one or companies is still hiring. Rest have gone over to Miller Bigblue 400. Saying that lincoln has had a few reabiltity issues, is there any truth in this. As long as either set has which both do, could i use CV with a feeder unit to do the bore welding. My best guess is yes I could as guess that is what happens else where. As hire people are unwilling to confirm if i could do this.

Replies10
  1. #1TOM V2013-06-29 09:25

    I am partial to the blue welders, but any multiprocess engine drive will run a feeder for a bore welder. Wire runs better on cv than cc. Good luck

  2. #2dabsfabs2013-06-30 05:56

    Most of my welding equipment is blue, and where I have worked has been blue. Only real reason for going red is weight thing. As they are about 150 kgs lighter than blue. So bore welding can be done of the unit as long as it's got CV for the feeder unit. I thought it would work OK but, needed it be confirmed by someone that doses it. Blue is it quieter than red. I think blue would be better set for what I need, but the weight is the only thing against it.

  3. #3mikebramel2013-06-30 09:54

    I dont see how one is quieter. They both have Kohler's spinning at about 4000RPM

  4. #4dabsfabs2013-06-30 10:13

    I am in the UK and nearly all good sized welders that I have seen come with oil burners "diesels". Also going to have to put some work pictures up, small fry when compared to most of kid that i see on here.

  5. #5mikebramel2013-06-30 11:00

    You are right. The title of this thread does say 305 "D"

  6. #6KWD2013-06-30 15:02

    Have a Lincoln Vantage 500 myself with 4 cyl badge Perkins and its quite . We bought it new and did have a few problems with it but its working sound now, Lincoln were very helpfull but I think the real R and D was done in the field, as always, have done no bore welding with it, that was my intention, but things are quite here, use it mostly with LN25 . Good machine

  7. #7FSERVICE2013-06-30 23:24

    im a red guy have the 500 vantage, & a ranger 9. love both of them, no problems at all. as long as it has the warranty problems will be taken care of by professionals

  8. #8dabsfabs2013-07-03 13:27

    Looks like its going to be red, as blue too heavy for the old transit. Would to have had the extra amps. Both set come cc/cv which is what I need. Lincoln weighs in 350 kg at over 600 kgs big weight difference. But still trying to away of skining out weight just in case miller figures are wrong or I have misread them. Any other feed back about both would be great.

  9. #995zIV2013-07-03 19:13

    I just looked and the Miller Trailblazer 302 Diesel is only about 20 lbs more then the 305D. Does it have to be diesel? I've got a 325 Gas Trailblazer, nice and quiet and a very easy machine to use. And it's about 240 lbs less then the ranger. 302 http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/ED4-77.pdf Ranger http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/global/Products/K1727-3/e6118.pdf Trail Blazer 325 http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/ED4-75.pdf

  10. #10briscoetab2013-07-03 22:50

    Well I don't know where all y'all are but down here lincoln is the only thing to weld with. All other welders are to inconsistent to weld with on pipelines and as far as reliability I haven't seen one lincoln down here have any kind of problems that would make you call them unreliable (I know we are not really talking about pipeline welding here, they also use them for everything else). I'm not saying that millers are bad or that there isn't a welder that doesn’t have one but I would say 90 to 95 percent of there welders around here have lincoln’s. I am not a welder per say but I do weld on equipment when one of our welders are busy on a pipeline (I try to leave the welding up to the professionals). If the lincoln's were unreliable those guys wouldn't be using them, that’s how they make their living. Now most of them run the classic 300D's but some have rangers and some have the vantage's. They run them for 10 hours a day 5 days a week and very seldom is there an issue. I am also talking about using them for ARC welding but if they don't have issues using them for ARC I wouldn't see a problem for anything else. The only real problem that I have seen is on the smaller rangers without water cooled motors, I have seen those over heat when running all day when it is above 90 degrees or so.